PDA

View Full Version : oil and crankcase problem?

ragin450r
03-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Here is the Story:
A friend of mine burn up his crank bearing on his 06 450ER. We tore the motor down cleaned it up and replaced the crank with a stoker crank, also replaced the cylinder and piston.

The Problem:
Since we put it back together it will pump, or suck, all the oil out of the tranny side into the crankcase side. we don't know if their is anything anyone could tell us to start with? A seal, or gasket we might have forgot? The local shop told him that we should have siliconed the cases back together? Or, should we just split them and try to figure out where it is happing?

Thanks in advance for any insight!!

440challenger
03-12-2008, 06:36 AM
Right side large clutch cover gasket torn,etc, or main seal.

rt20ps
03-12-2008, 07:15 AM
It could be your clutch side main seal or the counter balancer shaft seal.

ragin450r
03-13-2008, 05:11 AM
thanks for the suggestions, we will try a couple of things and let you all know .

Honda_Matt
03-13-2008, 07:45 AM
I might be having this problem too, I filled the crankcase and filled the tranny both

then my crankcase level goes up tranny level goes down. but after awhile, it goes back to normal.

hendershot106
03-13-2008, 11:59 AM
i have had the same problem as soon as i installed a hot rods crank in my 06 engine.... i think it has something to do with the crank from hot rods...... i have had my motor apart with new seals and gaskets... three times.... tore it down again... replaced both center cases..... all new seals gaskets.. everything.... still does it.... HOT RODS CRANKS sseeemm to be a problem... however hot rods assures me there is no problem with there cranks... i think they are full of it!!!! (06 450r engine)

ragin450r
03-14-2008, 04:54 AM
We still don't know why it does it, but think about this, the crankcase side is vented but the tranny side isn't. Thus, when heat is created pressures should get higher on the tranny side and possibly push the fluid into the crank side. The problem is when both levels are righ when cold and it pushes the oil to teh crank it becomes over full and comes out of the vent tube on teh crank case side. Anyone ever heard of venting the tranny side? That be an very stupid question but it seems logical??

440challenger
03-14-2008, 06:28 AM
MY GUESS...I believe the right hand crank seal got messed up installing and the tranny side oil is transfering to the motor oil side inturn overfilling that side and blowing it out the breather.

hendershot106
03-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by 440challenger
MY GUESS...I believe the right hand crank seal got messed up installing and the tranny side oil is transfering to the motor oil side inturn overfilling that side and blowing it out the breather.

nice guess... that used to be my guess and many other peoples guess.......

it IS the hot rod crank.

ragin450r
03-21-2008, 05:00 AM
OK - we took the clutch cover off and it was definately a tear in the seal. However, we were wondering we had it right to start with. The seal has a groove on one side and writing on the other, which way should it go into the motor?

440challenger
03-21-2008, 09:09 PM
writting always toward the outside or TOP. lip would face in.

ragin450r
03-24-2008, 04:50 AM
got the seal back in and all is good thanks for the help :D