PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problems

levi624
03-11-2008, 09:33 PM
I don't know whats going on with my clutch. It wont start in gear with the clutch pulled in and i can't push it in gear with the clutch pulled in. It shifts fine it doesn't roll when it's stopped with the clutch pulled in and in gear and no brakes on. The clutch play is set right. The cable is free no kinks and the pull is fine. Its like the clutch isn't engaging all the way but the cable is adjusted right and feels fine. Do I have warped plates or is it something else. It's a 05 Honda 450R the only mods to the motor are a HMF Ironman complete pipe, UNI filter, Big Gun rev box and a stage 2 Hot Cam.

d3ktrix
03-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Does it only do it when its cold? Or the same even when its warmed up?

levi624
03-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Cold or hot it doesn't matter. I just change the oil and still no better.

03-12-2008, 12:33 AM
A mates 450r does the same, kick it in in gear and it learches farward but it sits fine in gear with the clutch depressed. I thought thats just how they are so we left it like that?!

d3ktrix
03-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Ikilla2
A mates 450r does the same, kick it in in gear and it learches farward but it sits fine in gear with the clutch depressed. I thought thats just how they are so we left it like that?!

If it's cold it's normal if it won't start easy in gear.
And might be a little stiff to push even with the clutch pulled in.

But once it's warmed up it should be able to kick over in any gear just fine.
And roll as free as if it's in neutral.

levi624
03-12-2008, 01:13 AM
It has to be in neutral to start it. It's becoming a issue. I had it die in the middle of a race and it cost me some positions because I had to find neutral before it would start. I can try kicking it over all day in gear with the clutch pulled in and nothing it wont even try its like the kill switch is on when it should fire up, I put it in neutral and it fires right up.

atvrulz
03-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by levi624
It has to be in neutral to start it. It's becoming a issue. I had it die in the middle of a race and it cost me some positions because I had to find neutral before it would start. I can try kicking it over all day in gear with the clutch pulled in and nothing it wont even try its like the kill switch is on when it should fire up, I put it in neutral and it fires right up.

Mine does the exactly the same. Do i need a new clutch basket, plates, springs and pressure plate?

86 Quad R
03-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by atvrulz
Mine does the exactly the same. Do i need a new clutch basket, plates, springs and pressure plate?

i would atleast remove the cover and inspect the clutch basket and inner hub.

the Z Man
03-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Grooves in the basket..... is it also hard to find neutral while its running???

atvrulz
03-12-2008, 02:32 PM
have not checked the basket yet, but it is near impossible to find nuetral and it will not start if it is not in nuetral.

schulte_85
03-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Grooves in the basket or in the inner hub. Pull it apart and take a look. While your in there you might as well put new steel plates and fibers in. If your basket has grooves, change it. Hinson or Moose highly recommended. Inner hub gets grooved first then the basket. If the inner hub has grooves change it. JMO

bridanmya
03-12-2008, 05:10 PM
I just bought an 04 450r and its doing the same thing, put it in gear when its not running and pull the clutch and it wont move, also tried to start it in gear after had been sitting and it jump forward? Any idea if this is because its cold or something else, I have no problem finding nutrual. When I bought it, it shifted fine and I started it in gear fine? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

d3ktrix
03-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by bridanmya
I just bought an 04 450r and its doing the same thing, put it in gear when its not running and pull the clutch and it wont move, also tried to start it in gear after had been sitting and it jump forward? Any idea if this is because its cold or something else, I have no problem finding nutrual. When I bought it, it shifted fine and I started it in gear fine? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

If it only does it when its cold then its normal.
If its still impossible to push when its warm then somethings not right.

the Z Man
03-12-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm hard on clutches, when you can't find neutral while its running its time to change the basket and inner hub, I got 3 solid years of racing wiht a stocker, and surprisingly, the plates were fine. I stayed with stock, it has been fine for over a year now.
By the way, hinson and all them others wear out just the same.

levi624
03-12-2008, 07:25 PM
I never have trouble finding neutral. It just has to be in neutral to start it.