PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank bolts!!

60beer1
03-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Dont loctite the bolts that hold the front plastic to the gas tank! I did and now i went to take my gas tank off to re-jet my carb and both inserts are stripped and cant get the bolts out!! Anyone else with this problem??

realbadlarry
03-11-2008, 10:09 PM
I think the extra light hold(almost like an antisieze) is the way to go on those. Try shooting some plastic-weld in the holes around the inserts.

atvrider23054
03-12-2008, 05:20 AM
i didnt even use locktite or anything and my inserts spin and i cant get the bolt out

gbcap
03-12-2008, 06:50 AM
i had this problem with my 450r.

pry the plastics off from around the bolt. then hold the washer with vise grips and turn the bolt. it was the washer that got seized to the insert on the 450r.

once you do get it out spray never-seize in there every time you put them back in. some guys just had to get a new tank on the 450r.

chad6713
03-13-2008, 02:09 PM
I had same problem, but I didn't have any loctite on my bolts. I don't think KTM glued the nuts in good enough. You have to install them with VERY little force or they will strip out.

cheetah
03-13-2008, 06:38 PM
You can't remove them by prying on the fender like a 450r as the washers on the KTM won't let it. The best way I know is to use a drill bit. The factory design with the torx bit hole in the head allows for easy alignment of a 6mm or anything close to it drill bit. Since the bolts themselves are very soft the head will break off with the bit before drilling into anything that could be damaging. As for repairing, I took a small syringe with gorilla glue and injected it all around the cracks. Lightly snug the bolt and knock on wood it hasn't been a problem since.

inthewoods10
03-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Im on my third tank so far because of this problem, been going back to the dealer and they have been replacing, one of the minor details i expect will be worked on , on futrue genrations of KTM quads

Jmack
03-14-2008, 07:07 PM
I have also ran into this problem. The 2nd time I removed those bolts they had to be drilled out to get the tank off. Bad design!

buckeyenut
03-22-2008, 01:40 PM
That happened on 450r... Can't count the number of times I had to take the front plastics and gas tank off together over the handlebars. Quite a PAIN! Then one day I got the idea to try an impact driver on them and they came right out... Not sure if that would work on the KTM or not but it might be worth a shot.

60beer1
03-22-2008, 08:50 PM
KTM is giving me a new tank no charge!!

madini
07-02-2008, 07:48 PM
I spun one of mine for the first time ever. havn't had any luck getting it off.My riding buddy says three of his spun all at the same time and he removed them with the impact driver/hammer trick.I must not be doing it right but it's not working for me.Any help with this? Please?

ktMan
07-06-2008, 10:10 AM
ya i tried to take my fronts off for the first time and the one side was already stripped. as i was taking it out i could feel the metal inside being twisted around the threads. might take it back and let them know!!:mad:

ktMan
07-10-2008, 07:25 PM
had round 2 with the gas tank bolt tonight. poped the whole piece right out and took it apart. very bad design:mad:

red/white04
08-21-2008, 08:44 PM
mine didn't strip, but it now leaks gas out around the metal insert. atleast i know this is something that they should no about and cant deny a bad design....dont' have a whole lot of cash right now so hopefully ktm will fix it right. other wise she will undoubtably have to sit till spring. :(

JM317
08-31-2008, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by red/white04
mine didn't strip, but it now leaks gas out around the metal insert. atleast i know this is something that they should no about and cant deny a bad design....dont' have a whole lot of cash right now so hopefully ktm will fix it right. other wise she will undoubtably have to sit till spring. :(

I had the same problem and KTM replaced the tank. Take it to the dealer and tell them to due a warranty claim, they will replace it.

red/white04
08-31-2008, 10:12 AM
KTM is going to warranty it so the new tank is on order...should have it sometime this week that is if it is not on back order(or atleast that is what they tell me)

red/white04
09-02-2008, 04:30 PM
tank is back ordered till the middle of october....looks like its a good thing i didn't sell the raptor, atleast i still have something to ride this year.

jboz5786
10-25-2008, 10:27 PM
I did the same thing and there not coming off either. I need to see if I can get a new tank:rolleyes:

JGlaze
11-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Wow, after reading all of this I went out to the garage and put some anti-sease onto all of the bolts in the tank. Hopefully that will do the trick