PDA

View Full Version : Stripped out oil drain plug

RideRed84
03-11-2008, 04:15 PM
The oil drain hole has stripped out on my 03. That's the great thing about aluminum blocks and steel bolts. Any body have ideas for me?

m.h.s.c.#527
03-11-2008, 04:25 PM
well when i did it my case cracked but im living with a leaky case but you have to get an oversize plug that will make its own threads

is it just me or did you you think you where tightening it to tight because mine wasnt that tight

ryanh250ex
03-12-2008, 02:37 AM
Not quite sure what you did. Did you trash the threads i.e crossthread? :confused:

Maybe I'm having a brain fart but I need a better description.

Eitherway, tap and re-thread with slightly bigger size.

prairiemonster
03-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Yep, just like ryanh says tap and thread it,if you do not have that size tap I'd take it to the shop, cheaper in the long run.
WARNING:Use a torq wrench on all bolts!
Auto-zone has a glue called seal -all that will stop gas and oil leaks in aluminum cracks,not to be used as a drain plug.
:eek:

RideRed84
03-13-2008, 10:20 PM
When I bought the quad last october I knew that the guy I bought it from wasn't the brightest and didn't do much preventative maintenance (like fluid changes). When I changed the oil last time my nephew said that the bolt felt a little wierd going back in, when I did it myself this week the threads on the block came out and the bolt will not tighten. I think the previous owner crossthreaded it. It's leaking quite a bit. The local honda stealership said they would put a helicoil in for $100. I'm thinking about putting one in myself because it seems like the best thing to do so if the bolt gets cross threaded again you can put in another helicoil instead of having to tap a bigger size again.