PDA

View Full Version : 06 rancher 400 at

bluegunnman
03-10-2008, 11:08 PM
i have less than 400 miles on my machine, and take good care of it .the day before i got my new tires it started acting up.i put bigger tires mudlite 27 in. now it is having a major clutch problem,i think im experiencing a clutch slipping?not really sure though , happens alot in high rpms and uphill..at or manual..4x4 or 2 wheel drive it sux payin for something thats broke..any ideas would be greatly appreciated..and if its a clutch problem do i need a whole new clutch or just like a clutch kit..

Merl991
03-13-2008, 08:33 PM
with that big of a tire size jump you will def. need a clutch kit. and if you don't add(or already have) an exhaust, jets, and better air filter, the bike will be a dog. on a stock 400cc machine i would not go any bigger than 25inch tires. if you mod it out it will help.

bluegunnman
03-13-2008, 11:02 PM
yeah it boggs down a little i wanted alot of ground clearance though, does a clutch kit drop ur top end?is it something just anyone can install or just a professional? and come to find out i was low on oil i was threadin the dipstick in to check it i didnt know u just slid it in makes about a quart difference, o well, thanks for the reply

TheNewn
03-15-2008, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Merl991
with that big of a tire size jump you will def. need a clutch kit. and if you don't add(or already have) an exhaust, jets, and better air filter, the bike will be a dog. on a stock 400cc machine i would not go any bigger than 25inch tires. if you mod it out it will help.

The clutch kits your referring to are probably the ones for the automatic quads using a CVT tranny. The Rancher AT uses a beltless hydraulic torque converter kinda system. I'm not sure if they even make a 'clutch' kit for the Rancher AT.

For more 400cc quads (and even some 350's) i'd say you can go higher than 25, but not much. and from what i've heard, the Automatic rancher is underpowered to begin with.

Add a pipe and intake set up i guess?

bluegunnman
03-15-2008, 07:32 AM
i wasnt sure about the clutch kit either but i found one on a website sayin it will fit the rancher 400 at , but as far as losin top speed, i already lost 10 mph with the tires i cant afford to lose any more, got as little back with a k&N but not enough. so if the clutch kit helps with torque and lower rpm power does it affect top end, is my question heres the link for the clutch kit

http://www.atvoutfitters.net/clutch_kits.htm

thanks for the reply

reconranger
03-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Honda discontinued this machine after only a short production run, and probably for good reason. There are lots of post around the internet about transmission problems!

They have a reputation for being gutless on the bottom end, and 27" tires are way over the top for a machine like this!!! You are no doubt absolutely killing your tranny.......

bluegunnman
03-28-2008, 02:02 PM
yeah my first quad didnt think the tire jump was to much my next set will be 25's but anyways i nstalled the jet kit i have a k and n it seems to be breathin a little better only noticeable at like 20 mph though, but planin to get a lift kit sumpthin like 2 inches, would i have to change my axles.

reconranger
03-28-2008, 03:59 PM
I still think you tranny is going to be the big issue. This tranny is a "black box" unit, so it isn't like folks or even Honda techs can tear it apart and tell us what is going on in there. Like I said, there is a surprising volume of tranny problem posts out there in the other forums (surprizing seeing that the Rubicon tranny has a reputation for being bulletproof).