PDA

View Full Version : Another 300ex problem!

Moded86R
11-20-2002, 07:24 PM
My dad bought our 300ex in 1998.We originally went to buy a 400ex.There was a waiting list.The dealer had a brand new 97 300ex that was a left over.So we got a great deal on it.

2 weeks later we went to st joe and I do 2200 in damage to it.That was a bad omen.That was a wreck though.

Since then we have been through 2 pairs of front shocks.Cracked the swingarm,2 set of a plastics.Way to many brake pads,All the front fender brackets have broken.None of these where the result of a crash or hitting something.

The thing has been sitting.Tonight I noticed it has been leaking oil.So I pull the skid plate off.And washed the bottom of the motor.Sat it back down.Waited.Lifted it up and found out the center case is cracked!Right where the bottom motor mount is.Right where the bolt goes through.It is a hairline crack.Still enough to make it leak oil though.

Yes I did ride this bike hard everytime I rode it.It is understandable that some of this stuff has happened.I know there are others who ride harder than me.And surely know one else has had this many problems.After all this thing is a honda!

Rastus
11-20-2002, 07:52 PM
It sounds like that first wreck really knocked the crapout of it,lol.

I'd say your jaring it, or something because cases just don't crack from nothing.

Maybe it's from jumping, etc? Why did you go through 2 pair of front shocks?

Moded86R
11-20-2002, 09:22 PM
They break the bottom eye off.Same spot every time.Different year shocks to.I just went and checked again after cleaning it off again.Definitly coming from the crack.It runs perfectly next to the where the lower motor mount bolt goes through.

Like I said it is a hairline crack.I am going to have to pull the motor out to fix it.Has anyone ever had any luck with some kind of metal epoxy like JB weld or something.I don't want to rip apart a perfectly good motor.(that has ran perfect the entire time we have had it)To fix a hairline crack.I don't want to rig it also.

Any idea's?

250xman
11-20-2002, 09:36 PM
heck ya JB weld will hold it. my chain ran through my case cover about a year ago and i JB welded the peice that fell back inside the motor back in and sanded it to a smoth finish and it hasnt leaked sence. when the chain went through it made a hairline crack along the side that i never saw until i realized oil was seeping out of it and all i did was put some regular superglue over it and that was about 7 months ago. and it dont leak either!

Moded86R
11-20-2002, 09:41 PM
I figured it would.

Sounds like you got a pretty nice 250x there.I have been thinking about buying one.After all these probs I am not sure.All this stuff happens when I am trying to keep beat 400's.I am thinking with aftermarket shocks,A-arms and swingarm.It would be alright.Not nearly as much stress involved.

Bean
11-20-2002, 09:45 PM
u go to St Joe alot, i went down last saturday, i didnt hav any problems other than a fouled plug, my cosin cracked his R case, LMAO, anyway, talk to me sometime about next year, im probly done for this year

Moded86R
11-20-2002, 09:49 PM
I haven't been to St joe in 2 years.Horrible huh.I hope to go a couple times next year though.By then the R will be back togother.And I hope to have a quick thumper by then to.

Sucks about the case.Mine cracked.Got it welded leaks though.While she is down she is a getting a new one and a new shift shaft.As well as alot more things.Should be solid again when I get her done.

Bean
11-20-2002, 09:54 PM
thats some bad luck about that case man, good luck fixin it

go back with us at St Joe's, im always lookin for some R's, we are rare down there man

Moded86R
11-20-2002, 09:58 PM
I have saw a few done there.Most of them are old and worn out pos's.A couple nice one's.One guy told me he had a last rebel racing 330 motor.Talking about how fast it was.I went out and blew him away with just an FMF pipe.Haha that was even before I got it ported.Still the original piston to.

Yeah I hope to go down there with you guys.

For a pic of my R at st joe.In the rides section look at jeepin's 250r.That was the last time I went down there.

Bean
11-20-2002, 10:07 PM
i guess with all my MX setup, tires, gearing, porting, all that yada yada, i get beat by some more done out TT R's, o well though, i can just out handle them mabe, lmao, heres mine, most recent pic, only thing diff now is that the clutch side that sticks out and says honda, just the flatpart, is polished up

Moded86R
11-20-2002, 10:11 PM
Very nice.Love it man.

How does those mx's hold up at st joe.I rode in the woods for 5 minutes and came out with a flat.Brand new mx's.I wasn't to happy.messed up a mitchell rim to.

Again dude nice I love it.

Bean
11-20-2002, 10:15 PM
they work suprizingly well, im sure i could go considerbly faster if i had appropriate tires for the job, and gearing, i havnt popped a tire yet, but if u look closely at the right rim (if your facing it), its got a large dent in it towards the ground on the inside by the calipers, thats from a 4th gear pinned encounter with a rock, LMAO, i really dont mess around in the woods much, dont trust my gas milage or them tires, and no skids dont help, i mainly stay out in the open and jump and drag, thanx for the nice complements man, i appreicaite it

very sweet R, i jus looked at it, i know exactly where u park, we used to park at that spot till we got our new trailor, LMAO