PDA

View Full Version : bottem line....

trx400EXtreme
03-10-2008, 05:22 PM
a have a 400ex with a stock motor... will i feel more benefits with only getting a piston (416 or less 11:1 comp) or only getting a hotcams stage 1. i can't get both, don't have the money, and want to get something done before i go to the dunes in the end of april. what is the best choice out of the two?

Firey400ex
03-11-2008, 09:01 AM
I have a stock motor with a Hotcam stage 1. It feels good, and I like the power, but I would rather have a fresh piston with higher compression.

The most noticable thing about the cam is that it continues to pull throughout the RPM's, rather than hitting that "flat spot" at the end of your gears.

I would probably go with the piston. I hope my info helps, good luck man!

cbrooks118
03-11-2008, 09:30 AM
If your stock piston still have good compression then i would leave it alone. A larger piston will only give you more torque if all other aspects of your motor stay constant. Just throwing money out the window IMO.

Now, I would either get a cam, or port/polish to make it breath better. If you can get them togethor, awesome, but if its too much $$$ go for the port/polish

trx400EXtreme
03-11-2008, 03:33 PM
thanks guys. how much does a good port/pollish normally run?

racernorris
03-11-2008, 08:18 PM
$200-$400 depending on the motor builder, keep in mind what all goes along with that, like valves, springs, posibly valve guides, timing chain, gaskets, and so on. thats why it costs so much to make power in these four strokes, so many moving parts!

noris
quinn motorsports:macho

TRXRacer1
03-12-2008, 06:35 AM
There's lots of machines I'd say get the P&P done but when you're on a budget the 400ex is not one of them. The gains felt on a stock motor will be less then desirable. With that said, get the piston. 416 11:1 is a good choice and you feel a gain. Then if you get the urge later for a cam all you need to do is take the valve cover off and swap it out.