PDA

View Full Version : Urgh.. Brakes.

Brauap
03-10-2008, 03:15 PM
As I race down the field next door, racing cars I have to slam on the brakes within 25 feet of my house so I don't slam into the side. But all the speed on the brake pads wear them down quickly. And they just reached the point where the steel is on steel, again:rolleyes: . (West Virgina does that too! lol) So, here is my problem. Awhile back (as many have seen on my YouTube accont, the brake what not to do..) I pressed the lever while having the pays out, just being couious ol' me, wondering how they worked. Well I popped the puck, and I had to fix it w/ a c-clamp. Well, this is the first time having to change the pads after that incident. The pads just fell right out, and so I got the new pays I got off eBay, and they don't fit. WTF!! Also, when I bought the brakes I bought a set of front and back. So I went to go change the front, and once I got the caliper off, I took the two little.... things off that where sitting on the the allen bolts. But the allen bolts WONT MOVE! I tried that screwloose and stuff, but it wont budge. Again, WTF!?! Can someone please give me some advise, or anything. Thanks.

lorenjr83
03-10-2008, 03:29 PM
use the c clamp to push the piston bake into the caliper

the Z Man
03-10-2008, 04:04 PM
You should be using a 12mm socket, loosen the mounting bolts on the bracket. Look on the lower part of the caliper.

Brauap
03-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by the Z Man
You should be using a 12mm socket, loosen the mounting bolts on the bracket. Look on the lower part of the caliper.

No, its the bolts to get the pads out. I got the caliper off.

imc188222
03-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Not an answer to your question but have you tried severe duty pads? I bought a set and they sere at least twice as thick as the regular ones I have bought. They last a lot longer. As far as the bolts, a little heat will usually get frozen bolts out. Obviously there are applications where you can't take a torch to something because of paint, wires, plastic etc. When dissimilar metals are in contact, (ie steel bolts and aluminum caliper) corrosion takes place very quickly. Put some anti-seize on the bolts when you assemble it this time it should keep this problem from happening next time. Anti-seize can be bought at any auto parts store.

UNBROKEN
03-10-2008, 08:55 PM
y would u buy pads off ebay when u can go to the local shop, and i member i didnt the same thing when the pads were off i was sqezzing the lever and the pison were out to far to the pads it took forever but a hammer and a socket i fixed it :macho

the Z Man
03-10-2008, 09:07 PM
The only thing that worked for my 400ex was raptor sintered pads.

Brauap
03-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
y would u buy pads off eBay when u can go to the local shop, and i member i didn't the same thing when the pads were off i was squeezing the lever and the piston were out to far to the pads it took forever but a hammer and a socket i fixed it :macho

Because if you buy them from the Honda Shop, its 35 bucks for 2, thats 105 bucks for 6! aaa.. no thanks. I prefer to pay 27 bucks shipped. But.. yet I don't know how they will hold up.. hopefully pretty well!!!

my88r
03-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
(as many have seen on my YouTube accont, the brake what not to do..)

wheres the link to this. lmao:p

lorenjr83
03-11-2008, 09:48 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T2uFdn1yBE0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T2uFdn1yBE0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

j450rking
03-11-2008, 10:31 PM
just bc the pads are cheap dosn't mean they are good. i get ebc sintered pads and they last a long time. i sugest if you are going to be slaming on the brakes all day to go with heavy duty pads from eather ebc or tusk

Brauap
03-12-2008, 06:56 PM
lorenjr83, please, PLEASE stop posting my vids. Its awkward. Please stop.

CSR400EX
03-13-2008, 01:20 AM
i got a set of brake pads for my old LT250R once, and they were too thick. i tried to take them back, but they wouldnt because i opened em lol. ended up having to take a belt sander and taking some material off of each pad and got them to work. you can try that, if you want to take that chance. as for your front caliper bolts, try throwing a little heat on them, not alot just get it good and warm.