PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug, uh oh?

Chillyboarder
03-10-2008, 01:08 PM
I finally took out my spark plug yesterday.

http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingguide/sparkplugs/plugcolorchart.htm

By the looks of it, I'd say it was oil fouled. I'm about to cry...that means a whole big rebuild costing enough.

Don't know how this could of happened, hardly rode it and it's a honda...

I'm just praying that IT COULD HAVE BEEN carbon fouled, but really doubt it, it was pure black.

Here's link of new plug and old plug. New plug is on the right, on plug is on the left. New plug was the one I changed when I bought it and is fouled. Old plug was what was in it when bought and was perfectly fine.

http://i27.tinypic.com/34q6wjs.jpg

See how nice the new one looks except for the tip? Would you think it's more carbon or oil fouled? Looks so much more blacker to oil, but carbon would make sense, carb and all it says. And that would be something caused from the winter.

I only just bought this bike a week before xmas, ran that cold night, and then didn't run at my place for 3 weeks, no booster. Brought to friends and it started up right away, again cold day from truck boost. Been nearly 3 months I'd say since it hasn't been running. I changed the plug that week I went to the friends, along with oil (10w40) and oil filter. Yes I bought a booster and it ran for about 5 days at my place before it stopped. And the first time it didn't start it started and died instantly, sputtering. Tried few times and did that, then hours later it wouldn't even start, and that's where I am now.

Please tell me everything you think of from this.

Thanks!

Hans

REDRIDDER
03-11-2008, 11:55 AM
mine look like that when my jetting is to rich!

the Z Man
03-11-2008, 12:45 PM
What is it, if 2 stroke you can change the fuel, 4 stroke, jetting.

Chillyboarder
03-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Ok thanks, sandpapered the tip and hit it down a bit so smaller gap, started today, backfiring for first few seconds then ran it, not bad. Going to put premium gas in now, the best. Seems to run loud, not sure if did before and if it's just that way.

Will have to see the jetting.

bwamos
03-12-2008, 06:11 AM
Yea that's carbon/fuel fouled. You're just to rich somewhere.