PDA

View Full Version : Stock air filter...

ti2ibal1
03-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Is the stock air filter supposed to feel like it's covered in some kind of oil? I thought foam filters were supposed to be dry.

I'm just trying to narrow down things that could be causing my bike to run the way it is, and remembered that my air filter is "oily".

hondarider101
03-10-2008, 10:44 AM
yea it is, if u wash it with soap u cant put reg motor oil on it u have to use foam air filter oil. whats wrong with the bike? whats it doing wrong?

ti2ibal1
03-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Ugh.. I was hoping it was supposed to be dry.

As for what's wrong, here are some quotes from my other thread.

Well, I installed the #42 pilot and it fired right up being cold. I didn't have to monkey with the throttle, choke or anything. Just pumped the gas 3-4 times and hit start. (It is kept in a 55 degree heated garage.)

The other night I jetted my my bike with the #42 pilot. After install, it started right up and ran like a champ. I took it for a spin and the header glowed just like normal. The only thing I noticed is that it fired right up with no issue being cold.

I understand the pilot will have no effect on the header issue. I simply wanted to change it due to it hopefully making start easier when cold.

Here's the thread: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=340814&perpage=13&pagenumber=1

my88r
03-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ti2ibal1
Is the stock air filter supposed to feel like it's covered in some kind of oil? I thought foam filters were supposed to be dry.

I'm just trying to narrow down things that could be causing my bike to run the way it is, and remembered that my air filter is "oily".

yes, it should be oily:rolleyes: .no there not supposed to be dry.

hondarider101
03-10-2008, 11:49 AM
the reason they are supposed to oily is because a dry filter a small piece of dirt could go through it and into the motor and stuff, and a oily filter caches more dirt and dust pieces. so oily not dry

03-10-2008, 12:25 PM
How long have you been running a dry filter? What surface do you use the bike on? Even a few minutes on a dusty/ sandy serface "could" cause problems.

ti2ibal1
03-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Ikilla2
How long have you been running a dry filter? What surface do you use the bike on? Even a few minutes on a dusty/ sandy serface "could" cause problems.

It's not dry. I was asking if it is supposed to be. Mine is.

I just wanted to make sure as I am having a lot of troubles "cold" starting this thing. (It's kept in a 55 degree heated garage.)