PDA

View Full Version : Weak ignition

LT Crazy
03-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Thinking about swapping out stock coil for an aftermarket, are
there any concerns I should be aware of about compatability?

I'm not sure but the Denso coil appears to have a built-in capacitor and maybe a rectifier. ???

A new stator is also on the list of upgrades as this is a 1990
model and is on it's original electrics.

Thanks for any help here.

LT80
03-11-2008, 05:56 AM
Personnaly I don't know why you would want another (aftermarket) CDI. The stock one works well.
You can get a Ricky Stator stator if you want a light.
Usually if there is a weak spark, removing the flywheel and sanding/cleaning seems to bring em back around.
I don't consider age to be a big factor in electronics of the LT80. They seem to run forever. :)

LT Crazy
03-11-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks LT80, this all started after I put the big bore kit on it and brought the compression up conciderably , once in a while it would give an ignition sneeze when when you punch it hard, I closed the plug gap and this gave a temporary fix to the problem, I think with the extra squeeze in the combustion area the spark isn't strong enough. The stator / flywheel are both clean so I guess I was looking for something else , that's why I was thinking "coil", but I wasn't sure if I could just replace it with an aftermarket without opening another can of worms. I don't like worms....they usually get expensive.

thanks again, it's always good to get advice from someone who's been there.

LT80
03-11-2008, 07:24 AM
What's the compression?
What plug are you using?

LT Crazy
03-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Oops, I'm not sure about all that, I think last season the compression was up around 180-190 ???? It's getting freshened up right now so I won't know until I get it back together. As far as the plug goes it's probably the stock NGK number. I'll have to wait 'till I get home to verify it. Ya thinking maybe hotter plug?

LT Crazy, standing by.

LT80
03-11-2008, 08:06 AM
180/190 "gasp"...You need race fuel for that.
I use a Iridium plug.
BR8HIX~~ about 10-12 bucks. :)

LT Crazy
03-11-2008, 08:41 AM
OOOH YEAH! I copy that on the race gas, Torco 110. My son is built pretty stout so I gave him all the help I could, I had to put the recoil starter on 'cause the elec starter didn't like it.

I'll put it back together and try the suggested plug and see what happens . Certainly less expensive than new electrics.

Thanks for hangin' in there with me today, I've got a couple cnc mills waiting on me so I'd better get back to work. It's gonna be a few weeks before we're back on our wheels again, maybe some of this cold air will go away by then. I'd like to start riding again !

LT Crazy, over and out !