PDA

View Full Version : Handle bar problem

DVXDUDE
03-09-2008, 07:20 PM
I just bought Pro taper SE atv high bend bars to replace my stockers. When i removed the startbutton/choke I noticed there was a little nipple that fits into a hole in the stock bars. My pro tapers dont have that hole. Do i drill a hole in the bars? or do I file the nipple off?

thx

racernorris
03-09-2008, 07:52 PM
don't drill a hole in the bars it could weaken the bars. cut the nipple off. thats my 2 cents!

norris
quinn motorsports

Lowcountrydave
03-10-2008, 06:48 AM
Its not going to hurt anything by drilling the hole. Take measurements from your old bars from the end to the hole. Then transfer that to your new bars. Take note of the angle your switch is on the old bars, to keep orientation to the new bars.

Dave

DVXDUDE
03-10-2008, 04:59 PM
what is the nipple's purpose??? is it there just to stop the choke from rotating when you put it on? a lot easier to get rid of that then drill a hole in the bars (and get it in the right spot).

thx in advance

Lowcountrydave
03-10-2008, 07:49 PM
I think the nipple is there to keep the start switch from rotating on the bars. I drilled the small hole in my Tail Tech X-bars. Without the nipple in the bar, you could easily grab your bars while riding and have the switch rotate. Vibration alone could cause the switch to rotate. But whatever works for you, I try to attach things like the factory intended.

Dave

01 400EXer
03-11-2008, 07:25 AM
Get rid of the nipple. I have had trail tech x bars for 3 or 4 years and none of the controls have rotated unless I loosened the bolts and wanted to change them.

REDRIDDER
03-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Use an 11/64" drill bit cause if you grind the nipple off and they do eventual start to rotate you cant replace the nipple.I have just recently done this to my quad and it was as simple as 123 just make sure to have your grips already in place and put a dab of grease on the nipple mock it up and the grease spot left behind will give you a pretty good idea of were to drill.

REDRIDDER
03-11-2008, 11:27 AM
start with a smaller bit first and work up to the 11/64"

DVXDUDE
03-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Sweeeet! thx guys. Although I asked a friend ( with the same bike) and he cut the nipple off. He put a little bit of grip glue on it and it has never moved. I'm going to do that. I'm getting about half the replys to say cut it off, other half says drill it.

We will soon find out if it works or not!. thx again

bryishre
03-16-2008, 11:03 PM
got a kfx and got the same bars i got rid of the nipple and got a choke relocator and i never looked back just put some silacone in the rubber boot where the old choke switch was i did that mod cause in a middle of a race is somehow you knocked the choke on in the heat of the action you might not think to look at the choke lever and lose a place or to i hope i didnt ramble on to much and good luck

03-17-2008, 12:51 AM
I removed the nipple, took me about 2 seconds with a screwdriver and the console hasn't moved.