PDA

View Full Version : maybe a dumb question, but has anyone tried flipping the stock front wheels?

tri5ron
03-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Like the thread title says, this may be a dumb question, but I figured I'd ask anyway...
I'm new to quads, and always ready to learn from more experienced people.

I am also severly afflicted with a self diagnosed disease called A.A.D.S. (Accessory Aquisition Disorder Syndrome).

I've also noticed while reading through the many threads here, and seeing some of your totally tricked out rides,...
EVERYONE here seems to have a "Terminal case", of this same disease. LOL!

Basically, I define the symptoms of the disease as this...

"No matter how good something is, in it's original, stock, oem form,... I can not seem to control myself,... and MUST modify, change, accessorize, alter, or otherwise attempt to improve on the original design or intent, of every single thing I own."

so anyway,
I'm out in the garage messin around, and just thought I'd do a test fit to see what would happen...

My wife has a 250ex with aftermarket offset front wheels that are a little wider than stock. (about the same width as the rears). When I bought it for her last fall, I also got the original front wheels with it.

I just recently bought a 400ex for myself, and it came with Douglas front wheels that I belive are also wider than the original stock wheels. (I did not get the original front wheels with the 400ex).

I removed one of my Douglas wheels, and mounted one of my wifes oem wheels on backwards.
I find that the oem wheels would be about 1 1/2" wider than the Douglas wheels.

Now the only problem I can see is the valve stem will hit the brake caliper, and the brake caliper is a little more exposed to getting hit by a rock. (I dont think the caliper being a little more exposed is that big of a deal).

so my question is this,
If I was to weld the valve stem hole closed on the oem wheel, re-drill it on the opposite side of the rim,
then flip the tire on the rim for proper direction of rotation,
and mount the oem wheels backwards from originally intended, then it would be approx. 2 1/2" to 3 " inches wider on each side, than stock. (or approx. 1 1/2" wider than the Douglas wheels), on each side.

Has anyone here tried this?
or can you see any other problem that I might be missing?
I do realize that it will probably put some incresed load on the wheel hubs, but I really dont think it would be more than they could handle.
what dou you guys think???

BigBore24
03-09-2008, 06:43 PM
i think i have been diagnosed with the same disease. as for the wheels, i dont see why it would be a problem. worth a shot if your willing to do the work. seems like it would be hard to tig weld the hole but then again im not very good

greenblood01
03-09-2008, 08:18 PM
The easiest way to flip the front wheels is to put the valve stem upside down in the original hole, and drill a hole for a new one on the other side of the wheel, then you're good to go :D

Some people don't suggest this because it creates more "bump steer" which will, in turn, put more stress on tie rods and other steering parts due to the fact that it puts more leverage on these parts.

Valhalla
03-09-2008, 08:52 PM
this is the best product in the world for those who want to flip their front wheels.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2003918/p-2003918/N-111+10201+600003835/c-10101

tri5ron
03-09-2008, 09:51 PM
I hadn't thought of reversing the stock valvestem, thats a pretty good idea.
and the Gorilla caps at JC Whitney look good too, but it's kind of hard to tell how tall they are from the pics.

rather than welding,
I was actually thinking of using a low profile carraige bolt, thin rubber washer on both sides, flat washer on the inside, and silicone between all washers and bolt head. (nylok nut on inside of rim)

03-10-2008, 12:51 AM
I thought I was crazy, you're actually more crazy than me. :eek2: