PDA

View Full Version : long travel a arms

foxracer5464
03-09-2008, 05:42 PM
i was wondering if any one has converted there std travel arms to long travle or if it is possible i have houser plus 2 standard travel arms

foxracer5464
03-10-2008, 06:56 AM
ttt

04TRX400EX
03-10-2008, 11:29 PM
No, it is not possible. Besides a possible length difference, the design of the shock mounting location on ST versus LT arms is completely different. ST shocks attach "above" the lower arm and LT shocks mount "below" the lower arm, hence the 1-2" difference in length of shock between the two. There are probably other differences as well but this is the most obvious one.

400exMO
03-11-2008, 04:06 PM
where the shock mounts on the aarm (below or above) doesn't determine st or lt. I've seen st with mounts below, and look at roll design.
That being said, st aarms and lt are completely different. no way to convert them unless you hack them up.

NacsMXer
03-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by 400exMO
where the shock mounts on the aarm (below or above) doesn't determine st or lt. I've seen st with mounts below, and look at roll design.
That being said, st aarms and lt are completely different. no way to convert them unless you hack them up.

Right, the Roll Design's mount the shock above the lower arm and yet allow a longer shock due to the bent gullwing design. A lot of the "straight arm" long travel arms such as Housers will mount the shock below the lower arm.

foxracer5464, like the others have said, it's not impossible to do, but extremely impractical at the same time. Serious modifications will have to be done to the arms for everything to work right. It's not worth the time, hassel, and money IMO.

Do what I did, save your bucks, hunt down a good used/new set of long travel arms/shocks and then sell your old parts to offset the cost ;)

At first I was leary to convert to LT because I already had a "good" ST front end setup. Now i'm glad I took the plunge because this LT setup rides that much better.

foxracer5464
03-12-2008, 03:57 PM
nacs mx thts how i feel right now im kicking my self in the @$$ for not throwin down the few hundred bucks more to go long travelin the first place

NacsMXer
03-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by foxracer5464
nacs mx thts how i feel right now im kicking my self in the @$$ for not throwin down the few hundred bucks more to go long travelin the first place

I know what you mean. When I bought my ST front end setup, LT front ends weren't as widespread as they are now. It was limited to the Laeger's T-pin front end and Roll Design and the like. They were reserved mostly for pros and cost top dollar. Today you have a lot better new/used market to choose from. The parts for sale section on this site has benefited me/my friends many times.

The way I look at it was I got my money's worth out of my ST front end. I shopped around for a good deal on used LT arms and made my decision. It was very expensive at first but once I sold my old arms/shocks that were in good shape it only ended up costing me several hundred dollars. With a brand new LT front end easily costing 2000-2500 dollars, it was a good deal in the end.

You can still make a ST front end ride nice with a good setup, you will have to determine if the extra cost is worth it. For me, the difference was not night and day, but the LT front end rode smooth/plush enough for me to feel that it was money well spent.