PDA

View Full Version : Broke Balljoint--now what?

Gatekeeper
03-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Went for a ride today and on the way home noticed some vibration in front end. Got off and wiggled the left frt wheel and could see the upper balljoint moving. Said okay need a new ball joint and limped home.
Did a search for ball joint and was surprised to discover they are not replaceable-need new arm. Is this correct?
I have a few questions please bear with me.
Do I need to replace the broken upper or should I change U &L arms? Lower looks okay.
I just ordered some 450r shocks yesterday and would I be better off with aftermarket arms? Do any AM arms have replcable joints or are they non replaceable for a reason?
Dont want to spend a ton of cash right now so Im looking at used on Ebay--Will all year ex arms fit my '03?
Thanks for the help

Ruby Soho
03-09-2008, 03:55 PM
yes you have to replace the hole arm. some people drill them out and put in i think 250r ball joints? im not sure what kind.

99% of after market arms have removable ball joints

after market would be a good upgrade but stockers will do fine with the R shocks

and yes i know 99-07 arms will work. and most likely 08 aswell but im not sure on that one

STUNTIN400EX
03-09-2008, 08:48 PM
i know it sucks but you have to replace the whole arm and imo i would replace the upper and lower arm at the same time.

bdtoady22
03-09-2008, 08:55 PM
depends how much play are in the lowers.buy as new a arms as you can find or you'll be puting bearings in them too and the are 39.99 per a arm

Gatekeeper
03-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks for all the help.
Just won a set of used left upper & lower arms with spindle off ebay for $75 shipped. Could have probably waited and got a better deal but I hate the down time. Had the right side too for $38 but lost at last second. Figured I could've used the spares.

Plan on getting aftermarket +1 or +2's in the near future, hope these holld me over until then.

Ps the lower seemed like it had a little play as well so Im just gonna install the whole unit I just bought. Probably would have done this anyway since the set I bought are still installed on the spindle.