PDA

View Full Version : Piston mods

speedfreek
03-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Has anyone done any mods to their pistons like raising the height of the ports or shaving the skirts or anything else? I'm looking to get more hp from my already modded (banshee) engine. I have installed Vito's in my friends bike and did not like them. Looking to mod some Wiesco's. What can I do?

Dinner
03-09-2008, 04:25 PM
You can get your pistons "ported". Only time you really need to do that is when you are running a full out drag bike and already have your motor done up.

speedfreek
03-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Dinner
You can get your pistons "ported". Only time you really need to do that is when you are running a full out drag bike and already have your motor done up. Who does this type of work? The bike is drag only.

Dinner
03-09-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm not too sure off the top of my head, but I could ask around and find out.

Just curious as to what you have done to your Banshee right now?

speedfreek
03-10-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm not too sure off the top of my head, but I could ask around and find out.

Just curious as to what you have done to your Banshee right now? Ported, cool head, Toomey T5, bigger carbs, V-force, stock crank. I'm going stroker next if it is not fast enough after this rebuild.
What about an intake? I am ordering one soon. The jugs are going to the shop today.

Dinner
03-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by speedfreek
Ported, cool head, Toomey T5, bigger carbs, V-force, stock crank. I'm going stroker next if it is not fast enough after this rebuild.
What about an intake? I am ordering one soon. The jugs are going to the shop today.

What type of porting do you have done, and by who? So far you have nowhere near the power to consider having your pistons ported. Not very many people do it, even on alky drag bikes, it's not needed unless you think it will benefit you a lot. It also has to be done by a person that knows what they are doing obviously, one little mistake and that piston will shatter.

What type of intake are you looking at, what size carbs are you running, what size domes are you running? Do you have your timing advanced?

speedfreek
03-10-2008, 03:53 PM
What type of porting do you have done, and by who? So far you have nowhere near the power to consider having your pistons ported. Not very many people do it, even on alky drag bikes, it's not needed unless you think it will benefit you a lot. It also has to be done by a person that knows what they are doing obviously, one little mistake and that piston will shatter.

What type of intake are you looking at, what size carbs are you running, what size domes are you running? Do you have your timing advanced? Top end porting with boost ports in jugs done by ? Looking at pro design intake. don't know size of carbs but they are not stock. Lightened flywheel, timing plate at +4. Going to order 18cc domes or smaller just for race gas. I knew a guy that raised the windows in his pistons maybe .003, if I remember right. He cut the skirts off too. There are so many 'trick" things you can do, I just wanted to know some of them. I was just wanting to do this while bike was apart.

machwon
03-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Speedfreak, some people widen the window, slim the piston bridge or raise the window to make the windows larger. Dinner is right on when to do it as I too only do it on drag ports unless requested. Keep in mind piston sets come matched so after you alter the window you want someone who will match them up again. I also do porting and other mods you mentioned. PM or e-mail if interested.

Some of the Vito's pistons do mods like increases dome, cut skirts and exhaust port cuts.

Dinner
03-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Machwon, do you have your own business?

And to me, I don't see you gaining much of a benefit from it, specially since you are running a drag port in stock cylinders. Heck if you want a drag set up get some Cheetah Cub's or Cheetahs....

machwon
03-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Dinner, I just made the connection. My biz is RB Racing, I think I may have something of yours. I go by Machwon on here, Planet sand and BansheeHQ.

Dinner
03-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by machwon
Dinner, I just made the connection. My biz is RB Racing, I think I may have something of yours. I go by Machwon on here, Planet sand and BansheeHQ.

I Had a funny feeling that "machwon" might have been you:devil: