PDA

View Full Version : ITP Holeshot HD tires

2old2race
03-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Is anyone else running these?
I have had several posts regarding these tires. I just cannot get them to run right. The rears are horrible for traction. I have tried between 4-9# in them. I cannot get good traction in mud, leaves, or snow. They spin continuously. When hill climbing they spin themselves into digging myself into a hole. My friend has much more traction with his 75% worn OE tires (400ex).

And the front tires provide tons of shudder from the road. My handlebars literally wobble when I am going high speeds.

My friend cannot believe how horribly my quad rides since getting these tires. I had my quad looked over by a shop mechanic and there is nothing he can find wrong besides the tires themselves.

I am looking to scrap the whole set of these tires and go with the Maxxis Razr 4-ply tires.

Honda#4
03-10-2008, 06:59 AM
I run these and I have excellent traction I run 3psi in the front and 2 in the back and somehow I still get throwen off on the ground, I've never heard of these tires not getting any traction just curious how much do you weigh?

2old2race
03-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Man, that is insane!
I weigh 205#.
I have never gone that low with the pressures. I hop on my friend's quad and go straight up the coal hills no problem.
He can get no better results than I on mine.

The HD is obviously a lot harder tire than the stock 2-plies which has a lot to do with it. He smokes me in the snow, mud, coal, etc.

I'm going to order some Razrs this morning.

2old2race
03-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Well, I place an order for 2- Kenda Klaw XC yesterday.
I was told this is a great tire for traction, the only negative being quicker wear through than the Holeshot HD.

I was told the HD tire is a great tire for medium to hard-packed woods riding...excellent over rocks. But, mud, snow, etc...not so good.

I was also told the problem I am having with my fronts is too low of pressure. I was told to up my pressure to around 9#. Evidently, tires with the center rib need to have a higher than normal tire pressure to keep the center rounded. With lower pressure the tire is roling on and off that center rib. Hmmm.......

Honda#4
03-11-2008, 08:08 AM
You'll be happy with the Klaw XC's great tires. IDK if you know but the rear HD's are a square design tire so they will bite on the edges alot better than a normal round design tire.

Your right though about not being good in mud and snow I definently agree with you there the fronts also really suck in mud

2old2race
03-11-2008, 08:52 AM
I can't wait to see.
I am just sick and tired of going somewhere with these huge knobby tires on my quad and being the first one stuck! :mad:

Evidently, when playing in the coal I can switch the claws around and I then have a decent paddle tire...sounds interesting!

Honda#4
03-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Hope ya likem and have fun.

Scro
03-11-2008, 12:28 PM
I've tried alot of tires (XCR, Razr, Razr2) and the HD's hook better than any other tire I've used. IMO, they hook and weigh too much for a 400ex unless the motor is built. They will bog a stock motor down alot!

You don't need to run alot of pressure in these tires since the sidewall is so stiff...I ran about 2.5-3 pounds.

Razr2 fronts are the way to go:macho

By the way, don't scrap them...sell the rears to me.:D

2old2race
03-11-2008, 01:20 PM
My motor is built up a bit. But, yes i have noticed a drop in my low end with the heavy tire. i am hoping the Kenda is lighter.

I can't believe your HD's hook better??????? I guess you could say mine hook up...they just end up digging a hole. lol

Make an offer. They will be for sale. Tread is probably still 90%.
Hell, I'll the fronts if the price is right. :)

trail11591
03-16-2008, 12:04 PM
so u guys run 2-3 psi in the back.... wat about the front i think i've had way 2 much air in them

n811
03-16-2008, 12:47 PM
WOW!! are your front breaks locked up? These things hook up like mad!! I love them! Also helped me with clearence issues.

Rich250RRacer
03-16-2008, 08:58 PM
I've run HD rears since they first came out. I've never had a traction issue, in fact I think they hook too good sometimes. I'm not a big fan of the HD fronts, even though I have three or four sets. I like the GNCC fronts, they work great everywhere.