PDA

View Full Version : question

acrtheone
03-09-2008, 10:16 AM
I know this is a stupid question but, what does a top end rebuild consist of?
How much money am i looking at to have it done at a local shop.

pro-rider46
03-09-2008, 10:52 AM
like a new piston, cylinder probably. gaskets, head work maybe,

you could be looking at 600 maybe. all depends what your doing, stock or aftermarket, what has to be replaced, can you specify some more,

yfzrider45
03-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I say around 1300.....But thats using top of the line performance parts wich most people tend to go with....

pro-rider46
03-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider45
I say around 1300.....But thats using top of the line performance parts wich most people tend to go with....

holy crap, your talking about a top end race parts arent you... im getting my head ported and bigger valves, and new piston and cam and its only going to be slightly more than that...

TheNewn
03-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by yfzrider45

A REBUILD costing 1300 dollars? I wouldn't consider that a 'rebuild' so much as making a race motor.

More details would be needed from the original poster, just doing the rebuild because you feel its time? Did your motor seize? Any problems with it?

If everything in general is good and you're just looking for a freshen up, you'd probably just bore/hone the cylinder, new piston, check if the valves/seals need to be replaced and thats about it. If something is broken or your motor blew on you, costs could pile up right quick.

Also, look into the oil mod or oil update for your 2004. If the motor did seize, this is likely the reason.

I really don't have any personal experience with rebuilding the new high tech race 4 strokes. But 1300 dollars seems mighty high for a rebuild.

acrtheone
03-10-2008, 03:04 PM
I just want to freshen up the motor. There is nothing wrong with it, for all i know.

I just bouught it and I am starting to think about a rebuild some time this year. it is an 04 and for all of my knowlage it has never been rebuilt.

I have heard that you need to rebuild the motor every 40 hours, and i am guessing it is over that.

i am going to race some mx with it this year, but don't want to do any extreme engine mods to the motor because i also trail ride and want to be able to run pump gas and have reliability.

acrtheone
03-11-2008, 08:08 AM
so how much do you think that something like that would cost?

450racers.com
03-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by acrtheone
so how much do you think that something like that would cost?

Parts about $250 (rings, piston, gasket set)

Labor at least $250

TheNewn
03-11-2008, 04:46 PM
sounds about right. But you should seriously look into the oil update/mod.