PDA

View Full Version : Broke tranny oil drain bolt.. still in motor... wtf

SHIFTx450
03-09-2008, 09:38 AM
...so im going to drain my trans oil.. the drain bolt comes out nice and easy, oil drains, i goto put the bolt back in, and SNAP! The bolt snaps in half, theres only about 3 threads on the top half of the bolt at the snap... the other half of the bolt is still in the motor, about an inch and a half down... i tried 2 extractors, the one wouldnt get it, the other one snapped......... grrr.... what other options do i have??? if i split the cases, can i see it or access it any better or what??? need some help fellas... HONDA!!!
p.s. 06 450er:grr:

03-09-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure about the 06, but on the 04/05 the transmission drain bolt is in the side cover not the center case. Which mean you don't have to split the cases, just remove the side cover.

SHIFTx450
03-09-2008, 02:25 PM
mmm... i know the check level bolt is on the side cover, i was pretty sure the drain bolt is on the same spot, right underneath the countersprocket on all the 450r motors... but yea if ur right, if i had a slower 04/05 i wouldnt be in too bad of shape.. im f'd man, i dunno what to do... hmm... 'lightbulb' what if i just tap the hole thats there and put a bolt in???? im not sure what other purpose the 3 inch bolt that comes from the factory does... if it does nothing else, then i should be ok to just plug the hole by tapping it and puttin a new one in right???

GIXXER1KR
03-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Yeah the 06 is the worst drain bolt setup i ever seen.My ignorant dealer cross threaded mine and i was lucky enough to save it.I bought a new bolt and slowy tightened it then put in a new one.I have no idea how u are gonna fix it.I also was wondering if the outer hole could be tapped and put in a regular drain bolt.If i had to guess your gonna have to split the cases.Its so far in i it must thread into the right crank case.That is where the tranny fluid is!!!!

blacknblue#2
03-10-2008, 12:17 AM
Ive wondered the same thing about tapping to outer hole. Right now mine is OK but im kinda scared to change my tranny oil again. I had the same thing happen that GIXXER did. I took mine back for the starter recall and when i went back to get it the dealer told me that i had just about stripped the threads in the tranny drain and it was in bad shape that i may have to bring it back to have them replace that case.........i laughed and said "ol boy if that hole is stripped you done it because ive never touched the tranny drain, that quad is 2 months old( at that time it was) and i honestly couldnt find the drain yet cause it had been moved from the 05 location" so he changed his tone and tried to be the nice guy to show me where its at hahah.

SHIFTx450
03-10-2008, 05:53 AM
yea gixxer ur right, it is so far in, buuuttt im not exactly sure what things look like inside it... try and follow me here... :chinese: the bolt is in there, broke off, deep in... but i dunno if the hole for the oil is supposed to be at the end of the bolt, or if theres like a hole somewhere else that the bolt just blocks.. i say this because when i pour oil in my trans, it comes out.... how will it come out if the bolt is blockin the crankcase hole?? i dont think there is a crankcase hole at the end of the bolt, i think the hole is elsewhere... and if so, i should just be able to just plug it with a regular short oil drain bolt.. has anyone ever split the cases on an 06 and newer and seen what the plumbing looks like and can give me a better idea what i'm up against???

SHIFTx450
03-10-2008, 01:58 PM
......guess not.. im goin for it.. ill let u know how i make out..

SHIFTx450
03-10-2008, 04:05 PM
kk... i used a 3/8 24 UNF tap, with a 1 inch grade 8, seems to be ok... looks a little queer having the grade 8 under there, but i dont think i had any other quick options...