PDA

View Full Version : 400EX ski plan. need some input here! R&D stage!

DGR Designs
11-20-2002, 06:05 PM
ok i am going to machine some skis to fit IN PLACE OF A 400EX SPINDLE (no hubs, no discs, calipers etc) but for this, i need some pictures of the stock upper and lower a-arms WITHOUT SPINDLES and stuff like that. ok now to the actuall plan, here it is. i am going to make a special spindle that will run down and attach to an 8" wide probley custom made flex tip ski that will be able to also tilt upwards and downwards 30 degrees to follow the contours of the ground. the whole thing will just bolt on where the wheel spindle used to be. lots of work to get it on and such but it would be worth it. i also had another idea for utility quads that i think will work very well, custom made 1.5 foot wide flat bottom skis with a hole in the middle so about 3 or 4 inchs of tire sticks thru. i have yet to come up with a way to attach these yet but then you would be able to also drive on gravel, pavement etc in the winter provided you travell slowly, not permanent but would stay there long enough to get from A to B in deep snow. kinda just provides extra flotation to the wheels that are already there get what i am sayin'? well if you have the pics i need, post them or e-mail them at mountainbiker77@hotmail.com thank you very much. also tell me what you think of this idea!

DGR Designs
11-20-2002, 07:05 PM
heres a horribble drawing of what it will be like. there will be a ski on the bottom of the red part

speedy400
11-20-2002, 09:25 PM
ok, i dont know if we're talking about the same thing here but, if your talking about puting snowmobile skis on your quad so you can play in the snow, just put the skis under the tires and strap the skis on to the tires

loganB
11-20-2002, 11:00 PM
You can do what Im going to do Im buying ski boots that go on the bottom of snomobil skis and makeing the strapes longer.:) :D :macho

bigbadbrad
11-21-2002, 06:52 PM
i sugest you do not do the 4x4 one because there is all ready a company that does that along with tracks for the back and it is not so-traxx it is a different company.

DGR Designs
11-21-2002, 07:20 PM
i thiught i might have saw that idea somewhere else with the 4x4 thing! oh well worth a try to make some for the rancher anyways. heres wht i think i am gonna do now. but this is becausei don't want to have to take off my spindles and trailtech and all that other brake bs etc.

HiperEX
11-21-2002, 08:15 PM
whos quad is that? thats very similiar of what i had my plan to be does it hold up well?

KrazyKid300ex
11-25-2002, 07:18 PM
can you get some more pics of that close up and stuff. i want to do that,. like where the arms connect to the ski and stuff close up plz