PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt my 400 and still smokes...it was gradual

cnl83
03-08-2008, 06:04 PM
I rebuilt my 400 today. New Piston, rings, new valves, new seals, new gaskets.

I started it up after the rebuild and it fired right up. Sounded good, so I let it idle for a while, and no smoke. I noticed a oil drip around the front of the head (couldnt tell if it was coming from exhaust headpipe or not). I also noticed a puddle around the timing chain tensioner.
So after I noticed that, I noticed that when I reved it, it would have puffs of blue smoke. So i killed it and shoved it in the corner.

Im not even sure what to check now..and why it would be smoking again. Any advice from some mechanics or anything would help.

Thanks!:ermm: :ermm: :ermm:

m36indiana
03-08-2008, 06:15 PM
give it time for the rings to seal with the cylinder

TRXRacer1
03-08-2008, 06:24 PM
What size piston are you running?

BigBore24
03-08-2008, 09:28 PM
i agree with m36indiana. you definately need to go through the break in process before you do anything else to it as far as the burning oil. there are a lot of opinions on here about how to break one in. just use the search option and use whatever you like best.

CSR400EX
03-09-2008, 12:23 AM
if it was smoking before you rebuilt it, it may have some oil in the exhaust that hasnt burned yet. there is more than likely oil residue in the muffler and the header that hasnt burned out yet. id leave it for now, fix your oil leaks, and try to run it and see if it quits smoking, or you can try to flush it out with a degreaser or something like that.

cnl83
03-09-2008, 10:08 AM
.040 over bore
Hot Cam
and a brand new hmf pipe....