PDA

View Full Version : oil tank threads stripped

kfx400rider03
03-08-2008, 02:09 PM
so today i changed my oil on my 2008 ltr. whenn i took the drain bolt out on the oil tank i noticed there where peices of metal on the drain bolt. i was woundering wghat it was. when all the oil was done draining i went to put the bolt back in and it wouldnt tighten down all the way. its stripped.

but its only my second time changing the oil. wy would this happen? would my warrenty cover it? or is there a easy fix? i dont feel like buying a new oil tank cause i dont see why the threads would be stripped the second time i change my oil.

rob-u/21
03-08-2008, 03:42 PM
I also stripped my oil tank. It was probably overtightened on your first oil change. All I did is re-thread to the next size up. If you dont want to do that, then look on ebay, I always see stock LT-R tanks for sale. I think the correct torque on that bolt is like 13 lbs or something like that (don't quote me). Good luck.

kfx400rider03
03-08-2008, 06:30 PM
thx
and i dont hav a wrench that tells me how tight im tighting but i know i didnt tighten it that much to strip it.
and about rethreading it how would i do that?
would i need to buy rethreading thing?
how good is rethreading it too?
is it just as strong as stock?
and i dont feel like buying a new oil tank cause i only had the quad for about 3 weeks now.

hondaracer31
03-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Another option would be to put in a "Heli-Coil". It is a thread kit that replaces the stripped threads with new, stronger threads.

kfx400rider03
03-08-2008, 07:52 PM
i just heard of that today from a friend. he explained it to me and i still dont know what it is. i think he said something like drilling it out and puting the heli ciol in its place but how does the heli ciol its self not move?

asjr39
03-08-2008, 07:59 PM
He's right, do the Heli-Coil. I stripped mine also. You can buy it at any auto parts store. Take the bolt down there and tell them you need the coil. Next, and this is the only real way to do it without damage to the engine. You need to take the oil tank OUT. The coil kit will have all the directions on how to use it. After you are done drilling and putting the coil in then you need to flush the tank out so you can get all the metal shavings out. If you dont then there is a chance those shavings could end up in the motor. Even with a oil filter. Its just not worth the risk. Dont worry, it is a very easy job. The hardest part is taking the oil tank out. Once thats done the rest is a walk in the park. Also you drill out the hole to make it bigger. Then you screw in the coil, which has threads and is the same size as the bolt. When you put the bolt in, it grabs the coil and tightens.

all you need is a drill and the proper size metal drill bit. The rest comes with the kit.

Hope this helps

kfx400rider03
03-08-2008, 08:15 PM
ok
thx alot i'l start this on monday and let u know how it works.

hondaracer31
03-09-2008, 06:32 AM
Heli Coils work great, especially on bolts that get removed often. Back when I raced, I put them in all of the holes for the top-end of my motor. I was wearing out the aluminum threads. Heli Coils stopped that!:cool:

Let us know how you make out.

kfx400rider03
03-11-2008, 06:28 PM
to day i picked up a heli coil kit and wow thats exspenceive for a little kit lol. but any way its fixed now and just waiting till tomarow to put the oil tank back on.

the only anoining thing was taking so much stuff off just to get the oil tank out. i think i spent more time taking the tank out than i did putting the heli coil in lol. but cant wait to ride again and my friend is getting his new kfx450 tomarow so that will be fun.

asjr39
03-11-2008, 07:09 PM
LOL, told you that would be the hard part. but you did it the right way though. Fixing it without taking the oil tank off would have made you question every time you ride. Good deal.

kfx400rider03
03-11-2008, 08:35 PM
yea when i dumped out oil that i put in to get the little shavings of metal out there was alot. i had like 3 quarts of cheap napa oil and put a quart in each time and dumped it in to a conntaner and metal came out every time. im doing it one more time befor i put it back on.

hanes17
03-12-2008, 09:37 AM
You can also put some gas in the tank and shake it around to get the shavings out.