PDA

View Full Version : rm80 help

redrider9045
03-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Have a 93 rm 80 that ran fine until last weekend. Now itll start but die after a second or if you lay on the throttle, feels like it has no power. I was thinking the rings finnally went but before i tear it apart knowing its a two stroke is there an alignment ive have to set it at before i take the head and cylinder off of it? Like top dead center on four stroke. Ive never worked on a bike without cams.

Mxjunkie
03-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Take a look at the spark plug first, Black and wet means either to rich of jetting or blown motor/head gasket, orange means coolant in the jug, light brown means perfect and white means the jetting is lean. Once you have done that take a compression test, once you determine if its low or alright then start taking it apart. It may be something as simple as a head gasket or like your saying the ring could be clapped out. When I take apart a two stroke motor I drain all the coolant out, head comes off first then I take a little klotz techniplate once I make sure the piston is on the bottom of the jug I wipe it around the sleeve then do about 2 revolutions just to lube things up to insure no scaring once the cylinder is removed. When you put it back togather be absolutely sure the C clips for the piston are secure and spray the cylinder down with wd40 or a little bit of oil to make it nice and slick for the piston. You'll cuss it trying to get the ring/rings compressed enough to go in the cylinder but patience pays off. :macho