PDA

View Full Version : pouring gas?

kraemer
03-07-2008, 07:06 PM
ok So my overflow constantly has a stream of fuel from it when idling or low speed riding...

400 ex: 40 pilot 155 main, stock pipe, K&N, No Lid, 5* ADV

Replaced Needle Valve, Inspected carb, Clean extensively multiple times. Replaced o rings on drain screw. Tested Float, no leaks, correct height.

Problem occured after jetting change, engine runs great, no sputtering, no back firing, just pisses out fuel

any other suggestions?

I did look at the needle seat, and it did not look damaged but i did not remove it for further inspection

Thanks

lorenjr83
03-07-2008, 07:12 PM
I would check out your needle and seat. the ethanol in the gas will deteriorate the rubber tip after a period of time.

UNBROKEN
03-08-2008, 09:39 AM
i would remove the needle anyway make sure the tip is not bent if thats still good and still leaking i would try adjusting the tang on the float

dariusld
03-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
try adjusting the tang on the float

What does this mean / do?

ti2ibal1
03-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Make sure you didn't install the "washer/spacer" upside down. It should look like this.

http://www.atvriders.com/images/articles/pilotjet/pilot2.jpg

Don't ask me how I know this... :blah:

kraemer
03-08-2008, 07:56 PM
as mentioned above, I replaced the float valve (needle),

The splash guard is not up side down, and the lil tang on the float is plastic, NOT ADJUSTABLE (as the manual describes)

And actually if you install the splash guard up side down it would prevent the float from dropping, thus keeping float valve (needle) closed

any more ideas?

UNBROKEN
03-08-2008, 09:27 PM
ure saying that carb has a plastic tang ,why in the world would mikuni do that :blah: i dont have a manuel so i cant verify that.

86 Quad R
03-10-2008, 04:30 PM
make yourself a Q-tip using a phillips head screw bit(that'll just fit into the seat area) and a portion of "scotch brite" . rotate the bit back and forth(being carefull NOT to make metal to metal contact) until you've polished the brass seat. after blowing the passages with compressed air, re-assemble and let us know how that worked. :cool:

kraemer
03-14-2008, 07:17 PM
When I removed the float discovered a piece of pebble below the float valve. I do not know how I never discovered it.

When You clean your carb be sure to blow through the float valve to the fuel inlet...

it runs like a champ now with no leaking fuel...