PDA

View Full Version : Tired of your riding areas closing?

guinness77
03-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Contact the ARRA. They WILL e-mail you when lawmakers in your state will address OHV's. Here's their web site.

http://www.arra-access.com/

They have provided me with lots of alerts letting me know when lawmakers will address OHV's in my state. They ALSO provide e-mail links so you can e-mail the politicians. They also supply the address and date at which the politicians will meet.

For you Oregonians (or others who just want to make your voice known), the next meeting at march 13th in Salem. Here is a copy of the e-mail I sent them.

Sir,
I am writing you in regards to the House Natural Resources Committee, Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands has scheduled a hearing on the impacts of unmanaged off-highway vehicles on federal lands for March 13, 2008.
I wish to point out:
1. That OHV use should be managed, but I want to be clear that wholesale closure does not equal effective management. Nor does isolating off-road enthusiasts to specific trails (as opposed to open areas).
2. OHV recreation is a legitimate use of federal lands, and has been recognized as such by federal land managers.
3. OHV recreation can be managed and sustainable, while also providing a valuable recreational experience for OHV enthusiasts.
4. Motorized recreation is a family activity that offers an opportunity for parents and children to experience all that our public lands have to offer in a unique manner.
The concept behind the motivation to rid us of off-road-vehicles seems easy enough to understand, “ATV’s are unsafe.” Such a narrow minded approach is unrealistic. Yes… ATV’ing is an inherently dangerous sport, like snow skiing, hang gliding, kayaking, football, and many others. People have the right to pursue dangerous sports…within reason. Between 1999 and 2005, 62 Oregonians died from riding all terrain vehicles, children under 16 accounted for 17 of those deaths. Nationally, in 2004 there were 130 reported ATV related deaths of children under the age of 16. HOWEVER, between the years of 1991 and 2001 there were 1033 deaths of children under the age of 5 caused by drowning in their own home bath tub. That's for the state of California alone. (Source: http://www.dds.cahwnet.gov/drowning/) If we assume that a remotely similar number of deaths happened in all 50 states, that's quite a few deaths. So why aren't there bills restricting bath tub use? It’s because ATV's are an easy target.

I have spent many years in the dunes. I enjoy seeing families share the sport. I enjoy seeing the teenagers spend time with mom and dad. I really enjoy seeing the middle schooler DROP their computer game to go out and ride mom and dad. Although you may not represent me, you do vote. I encourage you to vote against it. I did not vote against OHV's, and I will not obey restrictions I'm certain un-necessarily and un-realistically encroach on my liberty.

Sincerely,
Tim Srite
Coos Bay, Oregon.

I sent this e-mail to:
david.watkins@mail.house.gov
casey.hammond@mail.house.gov

Thanks for your time.

Which 450?
03-07-2008, 04:26 AM
Ive been doing this for years, never got a response. Ive even sent hundreds of emails that I wrote myself! No one around here cares.

guinness77
03-08-2008, 08:46 AM
I hear ya' there.