PDA

View Full Version : How could i set up for XC?

TripleR400
03-06-2008, 06:01 PM
i have a stock 2005 400ex and i want to set it up for xc... what do i need to do?

procircuit406ex
03-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Skidplates, suspension, tires, and a killswitch...

TripleR400
03-06-2008, 06:10 PM
i got skid plate what do uo recommend for suspension?

procircuit406ex
03-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Stock 450R shocks rebuilt. I have some built by DeRisi for XC and they ride amazing.

shadowwalker
03-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by procircuit406ex
Stock 450R shocks rebuilt. I have some built by DeRisi for XC and they ride amazing.
That or look for a used set of shocks here or on ebay. The rear 400ex shock isn't bad if you mess with the settings some. The fronots sucks though.

jstalnaker
03-06-2008, 09:29 PM
a stearing stablizer

07trx400ex
03-06-2008, 10:23 PM
There is an endless list of things to do. I have never raced a gncc but from my 3 months experience so far of very hard trail riding and slight track time(non-organized racing) it would seem that these are the basics for gncc type racing.

Wheels Tires: Preferably beadlocks and 6plys

Skids: All around

Front Shocks: Whatever you feel is the right setup for you, but setup is the key word and you can't adjust the stockers so an upgrade is needed. Look for as many adjustments as possible. You may not need it now buy down the road you will.

Rear Shock: What ever you feel the most comfortable with, stock adjust ability is fine for me, but I like a really rough riding bike.

Power: Again you will want to uncork it a bit with exhaust/intake mods but only you know how much you can handle and is manageable on a trail. More power is not always faster on trails you need a "usable" powerband.

A-Arms: Again you may like the stability of extended or the smaller turning radius of stockers.

might look into larger capacity oil tank and tougher chain if it is going to see alot of hard use but just research it and go to a few races and see what other people run.
I would definitely wait to buy parts until you know it is exactly what you want.

But the essentials are skids and 6ply tires and bead lock wheels.

I am not an expert by any means, but I think this should help a little.

TripleR400
03-07-2008, 07:22 PM
thanks guys... should i buy a link from gt thunder

03-07-2008, 07:58 PM
I have a trail riding/XC setup that i'm working up to. The mods I have right now are great, the only other plans I have: 450r front shocks (eventually all 3 shocks revalved and resprung), +1 a-arms, air scoops, stick style steering stabilizer, razr rear tires and i'm pretty set. Sure I could get more but with those combined with what i already have will be plenty fine for me riding.

TRXRacer1
03-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by TripleR400
thanks guys... should i buy a link from gt thunder I wouldn't buy anything like that until you've tried adjusting what you already have. The Gt Thunder link does lower the quad but so does proper sag adjustment. The link also increases the mechanical advantage of the swingarm lessening the stiffness of the shock. You can buy the link for $175 or you can increase the sag for free and almost get the same effect.

Although the rear is quite workable the fronts are an embarrassment of a shock. Honda should be ashamed of putting such a crap piece of hardware on such a nice sport quad. At a minimum get a set of 450r shocks and again add sag to them like you need to in the rear. They too are set too stiff from the factory for most applications.

6 ply tires are a smart move. What tire you choose is a personal choice but you can't go wrong with the standards. Holeshots, Razr's or even Kenda Klaws or Knarly's for the rear in either 20 or 21". I would recommend 22" Razr2 fronts. Beadlocks are not necessary but are nice. I could have afforded them but I like my ITP Baja's very much. I was having a problem deforming my rear rims now I don't with the reinforcement rings.

Proper gearing is a must. Again this is a personal thing. With my stock 20" tires I liked a 14t front and a 39t rear. With my current 6 ply 21" Kenda Klaw XC's my preferred gearing is 13/39. It creates a stump pulling 1 st gear with rapid acceleration. Only on the occasional wide open stretch am I looking for another gear but I'm still topping 60.

You already have a nice skid so I'd be happy with that. IMO you only need a nice swinger skid and the rest are just added weight.

Uncork some of that power waiting to be had. If you haven't already get a nice slip-on. The stock headpipe is a nice woods pipe. Do the headpipe mod, it's free and will only help. Don't spend too much on a slip-on, they're all so damn close in performance it's sickening how far off the prices are. I recommend Lexx or HMF. Of course as always jet accordingly and treat the new XC beast to a proper air filter. I ran a K&N with an outerwear for 4 years in mine and recently switched to a Moose foam filter. I can not tell a difference in performance.

Lastly is ergonomics. Make sure you have the best handlebars, levers, footpegs and protection that YOU need. The better you set everything up the better you will do.

If you were looking to take down the best in the GNCC this year you could make this list a longer but this will get you a good start.

flauge
03-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Dont forget a good front bumper too!
If you can afford it, beadlocks are a good investment. After a race this past weekend I noticed that my left rear tire was almost flat. There was no cut, so I guess it leaked out the bead from hard cornering. Rear beadlocks are next on my wish list.:)

dirtdigger71
03-07-2008, 10:35 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TRXRacer1
[B]

Uncork some of that power waiting to be had. If you haven't already get a nice slip-on. The stock headpipe is a nice woods pipe. Do the headpipe mod, it's free and will only help.

what is the headpipe mod you speak of?

TRXRacer1
03-08-2008, 05:04 AM
Hornetgod13 has a good write-up on the header mod. Check it out.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=334885

TRXRacer1
03-08-2008, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by flauge
Dont forget a good front bumper too!
I forgot to mention the bumber, good point. Definitely get one with a skid built into it too.

Also look into a steering stabilizer even if it's a stick one. Just make sure it's rebuildable.

TripleR400
03-08-2008, 11:05 AM
thanks for all the help i had a tag bumper but a tree ate it for breakfast...

TripleR400
03-08-2008, 12:21 PM
how could go about getting sag like this? i love this dudes bike by the way

procircuit406ex
03-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Where are you located in Tennessee?

TripleR400
03-08-2008, 06:52 PM
just west of crossville... i'm assuming you do alot of riding at wid rock???

procircuit406ex
03-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Dang your close..yeah I rode at Windrock Monday as a matter of fact...I also like to ride at Bitter Creek. Where do you ride at?

TripleR400
03-08-2008, 09:02 PM
i ride windrock some with my cousin he got a 450r. theres alot of land around where i live and a 2500 acre hunting lease in front of my house that i had to pay to ride on a year... where all you ride?

flauge
03-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
I forgot to mention the bumber, good point. Definitely get one with a skid built into it too.

Also look into a steering stabilizer even if it's a stick one. Just make sure it's rebuildable.
I need to get me one with a skid. My AC always wants to dig..:scary: