PDA

View Full Version : Dirt?

Johnny Minehan
03-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Looking to build a practice track, but im not sure where to get dirt. I tried craigslist and the closest thing i got was construction soil, which most likely has concrete in it. where do i look?:o

trx400EXtreme
03-06-2008, 02:17 PM
out where i live you can just go driving on some back roads and find some for sale. you could always put an add in the paper.

400ex28
03-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Possilbly try companys that install inground pools.

Johnny Minehan
03-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
Possilbly try companys that install inground pools.

yea i work for a company in the summer that does landscape, hardscape, excavating, my boss said that if he came across any unused soil i could have it but, nothing has come up. and i am willing to pay to get soil.

BlasterEaten250
03-06-2008, 06:46 PM
www.freedirt.com There might be something by you.

TRUE
03-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Dig a pond...hell dig a lake!

dan harris
03-07-2008, 06:18 AM
I've built many tracks and have never had to haul dirt in to build anything. The ground is made of dirt - use it. You don't have to dig holes, just scrape the ground around where the jump will be.

This is a huge jump and was built by digging all the dirt around the jump. Had I hauled in dirt to build this jump I'm sure it would of took more then 60 or 70 tandem loads.

Johnny Minehan
03-07-2008, 03:03 PM
i tried freedirt.com and theres nothing near me. dan harris, that jump is sweet! maybe ill see if one of the guys i work with could bring his bob cat over and scrape or something..:cool:

dan harris
03-08-2008, 07:40 AM
It will take a while with a bobcat to make a 40 or 50 table top but it can be done. Whats the dirt like? Are you on all rock or do you have good soil? If you have good dirt there is definately no need to haul dirt in. Just start digging and scraping. You can rent something bigger then a skid loader from united rentals for about $500 a day. If you can run the machine you could build a 3-5 acre practice track in a week. It might sound like alot of $, but its an investment in your riding just like your quad is.

Johnny Minehan
03-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by dan harris
It will take a while with a bobcat to make a 40 or 50 table top but it can be done. Whats the dirt like? Are you on all rock or do you have good soil? If you have good dirt there is definately no need to haul dirt in. Just start digging and scraping. You can rent something bigger then a skid loader from united rentals for about $500 a day. If you can run the machine you could build a 3-5 acre practice track in a week. It might sound like alot of $, but its an investment in your riding just like your quad is.

the soil is fairly nice here, and my boss lives about half a mile up the road so it wouldnt be too hard for them to bring something down

thrasher_ex
03-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Try callin gravel pits in your area to see what they do with theirs. Theres one half an hour away from me and they'll bring you a dump trailer load and just charge 50 bucks for haulin it.