PDA

View Full Version : 250r pipes stock style vs. aftermarket style

paul_700
03-06-2008, 12:21 PM
I was looking at different 250r pipes and was wondering about the difference between the stock style pipes with the sharp upward bend and the more common aftermarket style pipes that straighten out the exhaust path. Does the stock style restrict airflow and limit power or are the straighter aftermarket pipes just for looks or better mounting? Whats the main purpose for the different shapes? I found an aftermarket p.s.i. pipe that is shaped like the old stock pipe. Is this even worth looking at or is it going to be lacking power compared to other aftermarket units?

Motofool250r
03-06-2008, 12:30 PM
how about you tell us what kind of riding you want to do and will be doing and we can recommend a pipe from experience.

give us a mod list of what your bike has motor wise also.

usually the longer gradual pipes are better all around smooth power.

beobe99
03-06-2008, 12:46 PM
The different shapes are there for a reason and not just for looks or fitment. The position of the expansion chamber (the fat part) and angles all play a part in the performance increases you’ll get. You'll see Companies that will have around 3 different style pipes for the 250r. One pipe will be to increase the top end power, one for midrange, one for bottom end and one that will give you a mild increase all around.

If your shopping for a pipe and need help picking which one be sure to post up what kind of riding you do or what kind of power you want.

paul_700
03-06-2008, 07:15 PM
I generally run mx and trail/play ride. More jumping and tight technical stuff and rarely any long wide open stretches. I have a 310 stock cylinder , cool head, ported for mid range. It currently has another psi pipe and a trinity silencer.

GT300
03-08-2008, 03:00 PM
This is what I've gathered.

A pipe with a kinked expansion chamber is better suited for bottom-mid range power.

A pipe with a straight expansion chamber is good all around-midrange power.

A pipe with a really fat, straight expansion chamber makes good top end power.

*Remember, it is very important to match an exhaust pipe to the cylinder porting so that they work in conjunction and don't ruin each others power characteristics!