PDA

View Full Version : Banshee?

tapper1823
03-06-2008, 11:15 AM
How do banshee's ride on the trails? Like open trails, curvy, sand, gravel, hard-pack, and what are the gears like. any low end? or do they like going fast all the time? Im very interested in a 2-stroke i sold my ds650. and want a banshee or maybe a trx250r but there hard to find.

400exrider989
03-06-2008, 07:39 PM
if you ask me, my banshee does fine in tight mud trails, but if you have sand and hard packed and open, then do it! just make sure you get a good one, look and look its key to find the right one where the guy knew what he was doing with it, the hardest part about riding the banshee in tight trails is it over heating, but if you put a billet impeller and an oversized rad you will have no moe worries

good luck

Hondamaster5505
03-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by tapper1823
How do banshee's ride on the trails? Like open trails, curvy, sand, gravel, hard-pack, and what are the gears like. any low end? or do they like going fast all the time? Im very interested in a 2-stroke i sold my ds650. and want a banshee or maybe a trx250r but there hard to find.

For open trails and everything else you described... GET IT!

They pretty much have no low-end, but have killer mid-top.

When you go to look at one:

1) Bring a compression tester. A lot of people get screwed over with tired banshees.

2) Check all the bearings/bushings and look for play. Common on banshee's eat up rear bearings.

3) HEAR IT RUN!

I say go for it.

tapper1823
03-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Can't you also lower the front sprocket size to gain some low end? i ride with yfz,raptor's and kfx450. if i got one i would get a widening kit front and rear and yfz front shocks. so basically maintenince wise. you should, clean the filter, check plugs, mix gas right, jetted right. anything else that can extend the life of a top end?

also im planning on making trips to some dunes this summer.

Hondamaster5505
03-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Can't you also lower the front sprocket size to gain some low end? i ride with yfz,raptor's and kfx450. if i got one i would get a widening kit front and rear and yfz front shocks. so basically maintenince wise. you should, clean the filter, check plugs, mix gas right, jetted right. anything else that can extend the life of a top end?

also im planning on making trips to some dunes this summer.

As far as the sprocket, we lowered ours to a 12. I know that sounds low, but it really isn't. It acclerates like it has a lot more balls now. Its also easier to keep the r's up when you go slower so you don't fowl plugs. It still does almost 70 also.

What do you mean by widening kit? I wouldn't use wheel spacers. Offset rims are good enough for me.

YFZ front shocks make it ride A LOT nicer. My cousin has em and it jumps better and rides smoother.

Your gonna be changing plugs like crazy, every 1 or 2 long rides. clean the filter, definitly mix gas right, using premium, jet it right, and always make sure it has coolant. You can get a good 2-3 seasons out of a rebuild.

tapper1823
03-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Check out the link there a really neat concept and people use them for mx so there really strong. i usually ride 150-200 mile rides how would a banshee do for long rides?

http://www.diamondjcustoms.com/new/widening/yamaha/banshee.htm

Hondamaster5505
03-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Check out the link there a really neat concept and people use them for mx so there really strong. i usually ride 150-200 mile rides how would a banshee do for long rides?

http://www.diamondjcustoms.com/new/widening/yamaha/banshee.htm

I would personally stay away from those widening kits.. they aren't super strong and add a LOT of weight. Those are heavy pieces.

As far as the rides, as long as your moving at an alright pace so she keeps cool, and make sure you don't foul the plugs, your fine. Just store some extras under the seat.

tapper1823
03-07-2008, 08:18 PM
When we ride we ride fast. no sight seeing for us. 4th and fifth gear a lot. how many miles do you get froma tank usually?

Hondamaster5505
03-08-2008, 06:33 AM
When we ride we ride fast. no sight seeing for us. 4th and fifth gear a lot. how many miles do you get froma tank usually?

not alot... lmao.

They are gas eaters. If you buy an aftermarket tank and keep some extra gas on a six pack rack your fine.

tapper1823
03-09-2008, 09:40 PM
I heard if i wanted some low end power and a banshee good for the trails i should get a 2 in 1 carb and a 2 to 1 pipe and silencer.
also a cool head with 21cc domes does that sound good?

Kennethyfz450
03-10-2008, 09:33 AM
1-2 seasons from a rebuild ?? I know guys that have been on the same rebuild for years. If the banshee is jetted right you will not be replacing plugs left in right. The compression tester is a good idea though.

The low end isn't too bad after adding any exhaust. the problem is the mid and top range hits so hard that you hardly feel the bottom, but I assure you its there.

Hondamaster5505
03-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Kennethyfz450
1-2 seasons from a rebuild ?? I know guys that have been on the same rebuild for years. If the banshee is jetted right you will not be replacing plugs left in right. The compression tester is a good idea though.

The low end isn't too bad after adding any exhaust. the problem is the mid and top range hits so hard that you hardly feel the bottom, but I assure you its there.

I said 2-3.

Thats the average if you ride A LOT. We ride maybe 5 big rides a year so it lasts a long time.

If you want lots of low-end, this ISNT the bike for you. Yeah, a 2-1 carb helps and so does the 2-1 pipe. the 2-1 pipe kills the top-end though. As long as you lower the sproket, we find it easy enough to crawl along some of the technical stuff.

Banshee's were built to built to scream. Its the nature of the beast.