PDA

View Full Version : Who all runs (or has ran) Axis shocks here, and are they worth the money?????

YLW400
11-20-2002, 12:08 PM
Help me put here guys, are they worth the money for MX over Elka? Would I notice a huge differrence between the Axis and Elka?? 19", keep in mind with +3 triple rates

cdalejef
11-20-2002, 12:47 PM
Yes they are awesome shocks! No, they are not worth what they sell for. I could not tell a diffence between the two!

speedfreaky
11-20-2002, 12:59 PM
I lik axis i got dem on my trx125 chree wheela,,they make me fast... k

Extremeracer167
11-20-2002, 01:19 PM
Of course u know what i will say. yes i LOVE my AXIS!! The only thing i HATE about them is they dont make piggybacks, and i hate resevoirs!! But I love them, and def. think they are worth the money. I only rode 3 quads with Elkas on them. And one of them was my buddys, and out quads are setup EXACTLY the same. We are about 10lbs apart. And i did not care of rhis elkas. They were way to soft for my likings. I like them soft, but i also like to have some kinda feeling there. Someone said they updated the shocks and made them stiffer. But this was only about 3 months ago, so i dont know if it took place after that. Most of the other elkas i rode were decent. But i just still prefer my axis.

11-20-2002, 01:59 PM
i think axis are way over priced. I think u can get just as good of a shock from PEP for a lot less. My new ZPS were 919 shipped to my door.

Extremeracer167
11-20-2002, 02:08 PM
i prefer my 2 week wait for my 19" LT shocks and not the 6 month wait for PEP!

cdalejef
11-20-2002, 02:13 PM
Or 3 day wait for Elka!;)

Evan
11-20-2002, 02:37 PM
I have axis, are they worth the money?? No not really. Are they better than Elka? yes. Im like extreme, When I rode on Elka they felt too soft, they packed up on whoops. I think Elkas are aimed more at XC than MX. If your doing XC then get Elka, if your doing MX get PEP or Axis.

YLW400
11-20-2002, 03:35 PM
THey are very pricey...Axis...Pep, I Would jump on them in a hearbeat, but 4 months or 6, whatever it is, is too long for me. Elka is still very tempting, but everyone rags on them for MX. Everyone I talk to says they are good for XC. But one thing I have to look at is Jeff from the QS kepps pushing them and he sells Axis too!! And Axis is a more expensive shock. I am pretty much set on a long travel either way though. Keep the replies comin guys. Thanks for your responses.

Dave400ex
11-20-2002, 03:40 PM
It's not the Shock itself, it's the person who sets the Shock up. Have Jeff set your Elka's up and they should be great. Plus you are only doing local races.

Tommy 17
11-20-2002, 04:01 PM
i have been on a few mx tracks with my elkas... i don't do no 60ft doubles or anything but i was doin a nice 45ft table or so i'd say and over jumping it or landing funny quite a few times and they elkas soaked it up... they also soaked up the small step up at rausch creek like nothing... i landed retarded off that a few times back first slapping down the front and the elkas were fine for me...

i have noticed though that my elkas work much better at high speed small bumps then goin slower through the bumps... i know this because...

we went riding down a old rail road tracks and if any of u know how it is to ride on those its like a whoops section for 5 or 6 miles at times... i'm not talkin little bumps either some are a foot high or more... i was running 4th and 5th gear through them and the fronts were soakin it up like nothing and the back was all over the place... derek was with me on a stock 400ex and his arms were so tired and watchin him infront of me leading the way at times he was takin some pretty hard hits to his body and quad...

Derek
11-20-2002, 05:10 PM
yea its pretty bad when you wake up in the morning and cant tie your shoes.:devil :devil

Derek
11-20-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
It's not the Shock itself, it's the person who sets the Shock up.

exactly

racerx573
11-20-2002, 05:29 PM
I have ridden PEP and Elkas, both in the same day on the same track. If I could do it again I would have gotten the ZPS, but at the time I needed suspension without the wait. My Elkas are to my likings now, though.

QuadTrix6
11-20-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
i prefer my 2 week wait for my 19" LT shocks and not the 6 month wait for PEP!

i ordered mine yesterday and the wait is about 3-4 months, o and axis are way over priced go with PEP or ELKA

trx400ex
11-20-2002, 07:23 PM
well, ive owned a set of PEP race, PEP zps, and now im going to be running Axis 19 inch fronts and ive got a custom long travel rear axis...from what i see axis arent that much more expensive, sure their fronts are more, but a PEP rear is 900 where as axis is only 750 or less.. for a full set the diffrence is only about 200$..i dont run elka for a number of reasons, but not because i dont think they work as well. ive never rode on elka so i dont know for sure...The only thing i can say for sure is that elka has not been in the game as long as axis and PEP and that has to count for something..Anyway i say just run whatever shock you think looks the coolest, because out of these 3 thats the biggest difference...

cdalejef
11-20-2002, 07:31 PM
Your half right! They haven't been in the quad market that long but they have been making snowmobile shocks for a lil over 10 years. So they had alot of knowledge going into it.

Dave400ex
11-20-2002, 07:37 PM
Well from the looks and sounds of it many more of the Top Guys will be running Elka's next year. It may only be GNCC racers, but that will help Elka get better. I don't see how they could make the Shock itself better, just how they set them up and build them. I have had 0 problems with my Shocks and like them so far.

YLW400
11-20-2002, 08:33 PM
So, Jeff, do you all do the valving right there at your shop? Do you all do alot of shocks for guys that run MX? I am no Tim Farr or anything, but I do as of now on stock shocks about a 70ft step down triple, but it beats the crap out of me and my ankels feel like they are going to snap. lol I want my shocks to absorb that!

YLW400
11-21-2002, 07:12 AM
bump

11-21-2002, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by YLW400
So, Jeff, do you all do the valving right there at your shop? Do you all do alot of shocks for guys that run MX?

Yes they do the valving in the shop,,marty has his own work bench with boxes full of bodies, springs and valves.

I guess I'll be there gunie pig on MX setup since they only deal with XC racing. Not saying they can't build a shock for MX or sell shocks to MX racers,,I'll be dragging Jeff or Marty with me to some MX races next year to help me get mine setup correctly.. either way they'll take care of your needs.

YLW400
11-21-2002, 07:21 AM
Yea I figured you would be the test pilot! Those XC guys dont know how to jump anyway....lol j/k:blah

cdalejef
11-21-2002, 09:06 AM
So, Jeff, do you all do the valving right there at your shop? Do you all do alot of shocks for guys that run MX? I am no Tim Farr or anything, but I do as of now on stock shocks about a 70ft step down triple, but it beats the crap out of me and my ankels feel like they are going to snap. lol I want my shocks to absorb that! When you order a new set of shocks, we order them from Elka setup for you!!!! We will do rebuilds if someone wants! About 75% of the orders are for XC or trail and the other 25% is MX and dunes. I think its because more people race XC and trial ride than race MX.

cdalejef
11-21-2002, 09:07 AM
Those XC guys dont know how to jump anyway....lol j/k:blah Ummmm......LETS ROCK!!!!!:mad:
I used to race MX all the time but I think XC is more fun!

YLW400
11-21-2002, 09:29 AM
Oh, I am just pulling your chain:blah I jump like a girl....lol

cdalejef
11-21-2002, 09:44 AM
Oh, I am just pulling your chain:blah I jump like a girl....lol LMAO!.........so does Rico!:eek: :eek: :eek:

YLW400
11-21-2002, 11:04 AM
Thats what everyone says!!! Don't shoot the messenger!:blah

Dave400ex
11-21-2002, 02:58 PM
Jeff didn't you guys used to build the Shocks in house?

cdalejef
11-21-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Jeff didn't you guys used to build the Shocks in house? Only back in the spring when Elka was a few weeks behind. We used the exact setup sheets that Elka uses.

cdale20
12-02-2002, 08:11 PM
axis all the way, i will admit they are expensive, but they are worth every penny. plus i find it funny that elka uses the same valving, springs, and set up for 400ex, 250r, and raptor front shocks and just includes a zip lock bag full of assorted bushings to make them fit your bike. now i know why they are so cheap!!!!!!!!!

don't get me wrong elka's are great for the money, but aren't anywhere near what an axis is yet.:macho

sylvan56473
12-02-2002, 09:11 PM
I have used AXIS (dual rate, comp and reb adj) with an AXIS rear shock (fullly adj) and hated them. I have used PEP Ltd Mass and liked them better than my AXIS. I have also used Works triple rates with resovoirs and even liked them better than my AXIS. I just recently purchased a set of OHLINS all the way around and absolutely love them! I was very disappointed in my AXIS. I figured that if I spent $2000 on a set of shocks my wheeler that I would never have to have another set. The only thing I can think of is that they weren't set up for my weight, but I ordered them from AXIS brand new. ???? :confused:
Plus the OHLINS were only $1400!

cdalejef
12-03-2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by cdale20
don't get me wrong elka's are great for the money, but aren't anywhere near what an axis is yet.:macho That statement couldn't be more wrong!!!

Derek
12-03-2002, 01:27 PM
Everyone thinks that the more moneythe better. WRONG!!!!!!!

dwhite
12-03-2002, 01:35 PM
who are you guys calling for shocks ?I got mine(Axis) in a month . They are worth the wait Elka is just not there yet . Call Kand K 413-323-7044

Dave400ex
12-03-2002, 01:55 PM
Elka should improve a lot over the course of next race season. There will be more Pro's running Elka's next year. Give them some time. Axis has been around a lot longer. 3 or 4 years ago you didn't hear much about Axis, everybody ran PEP's. Elka will get better.... then they already are....

YLW400
12-03-2002, 02:09 PM
Actually depending on your weight, C&D has them (Axis) right on the shelf. But they cost too much. I will probably go with Elka...Even TCS has a wait now...gimme a break. :rolleyes: Not saying they are bad shocks or anything though

Extremeracer167
12-03-2002, 03:09 PM
Axis is a 2-3 week weight at the MOST! Why do u all think they are on such a long wait. We arent talking about PEP here:rolleyes:

Evan
12-03-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
That statement couldn't be more wrong!!!

ahem, I have yet to see, or hear, of an Axis shock failing. Im not bashing here, but it seems that you only like Elka......BTW do you get a commision for selling elka? Im am not biased by no means, I am not gonna say Axis is the best, because i have them, I have TCS and axis shocks and for the money I paid for my TCS i love em. But I have alot of freinds with Elkas, and have ridden elkas. I have watched numerous problems from them, blown seals, etc, the elkas felt wayy to soft for me, even when set up for a larger rider. But the other day, I saw something that beat everything I had ever seen, my freind has a Rear elka on his raptor, well, he weighs 125, and he was jumping a small, jump, maybe 4-6 ft of air, i dunno, well he hadnt jumped it too much, and then bang, we were like wtf, we looked and there was oil all over the engine, we thought it blew up, but then we looked and there was a hole in the steel braided line that runs from the cannister to the shock, we couldnt belive our eyes.

T-R-X
12-03-2002, 03:56 PM
I have axis LT fronts with gibson arms, and a stock link rear axis shock(all shocks fully adjustable). They work mint for me. My dad has works triple rates on his 400ex, with lagear +3(not long travel) and i love them, just dont last as long, they fade a little bit. But i think as long as any shock is set up correctly it will do the job. I almost like the way the works feel better(when they are not faded) because they dont have any sag. Ive never tried any other shocks besides axis, and works, but im sure they are all similar.

Dave400ex
12-03-2002, 06:49 PM
Axis isn't new now either. I bet when Axis was brand new they had problems too. If the line got a hole in it most likely it's not Elka's fault.

YLW400
12-03-2002, 06:55 PM
If something like that would happen to a set of Elkas, are they covered under a warranty of any type?

Dave400ex
12-03-2002, 07:02 PM
More then likely Elka would cover it, unless it was because of the Owner's fault putting the line in a bad place or something like that.

YLW400
12-03-2002, 07:06 PM
I gotcha