PDA

View Full Version : adding a cam

poke99
03-06-2008, 10:26 AM
I have a 2004 450r with a Pro Circuit T-4 slip on added and jetted it was jetted for the T-4. Other than that the bike is stock. I just bought the bike and it runs great but after reading so much on the performance a cam can give the bike I am thinking on adding a cam so here goes.

I am thinking on adding an 02 crf cam for the great low end due to I don't race and will be just trail riding. This would be the best cam correct? I've read the HRC kit is more for the top end.
Should I just buy the Honda HRC power up kit or go with the 02 crf cam.
Do you really need all the stuff that comes with the HRC power up kit?

What I was thinking on doing was put in the 02 crf cam, cut my airbox lid (do you really need to do this) and add my own home made flap for water and rejet it. What do you think about this setup?

Do you really need that snorkel thing that comes with the HRC power up kit.

If I go with the 02 crf cam, with my airbox cut and the T-4 slip on where do you think I should start with my jetting and pilot?

Sorry for all the questions, any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

03-06-2008, 10:58 AM
The 02 CRF cam is great. You will love it. I ride woods and it was a great improvement. I did a 12:1 CP piston at the same time. MAN what a difference. I would go 185 main. I forget the size if the stock pilot jet but you need to go up 1 size on it. I also have the HRC needle, but I can't remember where the clip is. i think I have the clip one down from the center, which raises the needle up a little. Good luck!