PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Mods to-do-list?

08trx400ex
03-06-2008, 09:49 AM
I have in the last week done the following mods to my new 08 400ex. I am wondering if I have left anything off the list or am forgetting anything that could be done fairly cheap or without breaking open the engine.

Ground down Header pipe welds
Installed new HMF Sport slip-on (black-chrome)
Removed air box lid
Installed K&N filter
Put Outerwears on filter
Installed Sparks Timing advance key
Rejetted Carb with 155 main and 42 pilot jets
Removed choke from carb

Please let me know if anyone knows of anything else other than riding the S#!T out of it that i might be able to do for power gains or performance increase

Thanks

mcwilly
03-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Looks good. Looks like almost the exact mods I'm doing to my '07 (Yoshi complete exhaust will be here anyday now). I'm not too far from you...in Wylie.
How does it run w/ the 155 main? I was thinking of going w/ a 158 but may not have to now.

hotbo400ex
03-06-2008, 10:43 AM
this is the same thing im doing right now,i have a dynojet carb kit gonna remove choke.i dont have a slip on pipe but i do have a phenoix tip to open it up.i hope yours runs well.congrats,travis:D

08trx400ex
03-06-2008, 02:15 PM
runs gr8. might need some fine tuning once i get it out and ride it for more than 10 minutes. i did do a 1/4 turn out on the fuel screw when i had it all torn down yesterday. no adjustment on the needle in the carb because i simply forgot and didnt remember until i got it all back together. where do you ride at around here? i need somewhere bad

oleboy87
03-06-2008, 03:55 PM
if you are not scared to sacrafice some top and and want more bottom end you can go up one on the back sprocket.. thats what i did and i can get the jump on jsut about anything i line up against..

Hondamaster5505
03-06-2008, 04:06 PM
WHEN ARE YOU GONNA GET PICS!?!?!?!

Your the only other one with an 08 other that 08400EX. You also have a white one. We're all dying to see some pics of a white one in the flesh.

klutch
03-06-2008, 04:13 PM
My girlfriend's uncle has a white 08 lol i get to ride it almost every other weekend :devil:

rcatvrider
03-06-2008, 05:04 PM
What does removing the choke do and how is it done?

UNBROKEN
03-06-2008, 05:35 PM
removing the choke increses airflow a little, im not taking mine off cause i ride in cold weather and its not worth .2 horepower for a mod thats fixable once u take the choke of its off for good!!!

CSR400EX
03-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
removing the choke increses airflow a little, im not taking mine off cause i ride in cold weather and its not worth .2 horepower for a mod thats fixable once u take the choke of its off for good!!!
you can put the choke back in if you need to. its not permanent at all. i put mine back in before i sold it

mcwilly
03-07-2008, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by 08trx400ex
runs gr8. might need some fine tuning once i get it out and ride it for more than 10 minutes. i did do a 1/4 turn out on the fuel screw when i had it all torn down yesterday. no adjustment on the needle in the carb because i simply forgot and didnt remember until i got it all back together. where do you ride at around here? i need somewhere bad

You could also do the 450R carb swap-out.
Run a bigger/hotter coil.
And a CDI box....but I believe there's some question on wheather a CDI box can be used w/ the advance timing key. So you may want to look into that first.
Right now I'm just riding on a make-shift track that sits behind my neighborhood. There's a couple miles of trails through the woods too. I just bought my 5 year old his first quad so we ride together back there.
I do know there is a track/park in Royce City though. I have a buddy that lives in Royce City and we're supposed to check it out one day soon. I'll hit you up before we go....

08trx400ex
03-07-2008, 09:30 AM
yeah for sure let me know when yall go riding. i need somwhere to go local to get some more rides in. bought the thing and the neighbors and cops dont like me riding it in the neighborhood.

pics will be up very soon i promise. first i have to take the 2 minutes it will take me to take them. 2 minutes seem to be tough to come by these days.