PDA

View Full Version : 300ex, are they interference motors?

maddmatt02
03-06-2008, 09:39 AM
not sure if thats how anyone refers to it but I know with my cars I always use that term, and my hondas always have been.

I am asking this because if not then I think theres a problem in the valve timing, if it is and they would hit the piston if too far out of spec, then its probably not the problem.

anyways me and my sister went riding the other day out in walker valley, I was on the YFZ and she was on the 330. they were both running really good the whole time and then all of the sudden she stoped me and told me when you give it gas it doesnt go right away then takes off (Im on a YFZ so instantly thought bog) but that bike has noever had a problem like that, and then we tried to ride them back to the truck and she kept stallign it, sdo we switched, and I mean this thing was running terrible. it acted like I had turned the gass off and then RIGHT before it was going to die from no fuel I barely cracked open the petcock to just let the fuel feed slow enough to keep it runing that way. would almost die then take off, then almost die, pop a few times, then boom, take off for a split second, then wanna die.

when we got it homeI tore out the carb, completely dissasembled it, and there was a bit of sludge in the float bowl around the sides, as well as the pilot l;ooked a little constricted, and just generally a bit dirty everywhere. well I cleaned out all the jets, blew out all passages, scraped out gunk, cleaned out the ap circuit. got it al back together but it was too late to start it. I figured it would fire up andpurr like a kitten, next day, no luck, was real hard to start and it ran the same way, would just pop/pop/die. only way to keep it running was to hold it almost wide open and it seemed like it would only throw a spark about every few seconds, pop and blow tons of smoke. so sure the rings coulkd be bad letting it burn some oil or a valve guide seal or something, but shouldnt those problems, just let it burn oil and smoke a bit, not run like crap?

I wondering if it is possible for the cam chain to stretch enough to allow the valve tming to be way out of spec and not have the valves hit the piston.

I am not sure about al the specs, but it is a FST 330, I believe it is 11:1, valves are standard and its a web cam, but I think its just the bolt in one that doesnt require the spring kit.

I just flew home so I wont be able to work on it, it is in WA and I live in AZ now. but what should I have her check on it? could it be the ignition breaking down and not firing everytime it should? something with the pickup for the ignition?

bwamos
03-06-2008, 05:53 PM
My FST 300 piston had the valve releifs milled by Mickey. When I first reaseembled it being a n00b at the time I installed it with the chain slack on the wrong side.

result of that my timing was off by 3 teeth. It did not hit the piston when turning it over. But it sure ran like crap.. lol.

I'd pop the valve/head cover off and give her a look see. If the chain did stretch it is very possible that the chain jumped timing.