PDA

View Full Version : thinking about going with a yfz

enduro400rider
03-06-2008, 08:13 AM
thinking about getting a yfz, i have been out of ridding for a year now and cant stand not having a bike. i was going to buy a new bike right before i got out of ridding but ended up with another car instead. when i was looking i wanted a 450r but i had trouble at the honda dealer, they told me the first day i went in to look that they would give me a deal on an 06 that they had to get rid of and when i came back with cash they wouldnt budge on the price at all. i think it was because i was young and he thought he could rip me off, ever since that i just have a hard time looking at honda, and i dont want to buy a honda and then go to them to buy parts ect. so that takes me to the yfz which lately i have been really taking a likeing to. im probably going to get an 04 because i want to keep the cost down. are there any problem with the 04 and what are common yfz problems? what should i look out for?

xtylerx
03-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Oh yeah.

04s had many problems.

Stator problems. (changed in 05?)
other Electrical problems. (changed in 05?)
Oil mod not done. (changed in 07)
Smaller crank. (changed in 06)
Crappy swingarm adjustments (changed in 06)

I have an 04, and I put in the (449cc) 06 Crank, put in a new stator, gutted the wiring harness and put a kickstart on, got the oil mod done, and now I just want to buy a centric tightening style swingarm.

So I pretty much got all the bugs worked out of mine, if you find an 04 with all this stuff done to it thatd be great though.

Dr89
03-06-2008, 12:44 PM
the 04's and some of the 05's have a few kinks but, for the prices you can pick them up for i think the good HEAVILY outweighs any problems you MIGHT have...they had an issue with the oil squirter, but you can find tons of yfz's with the mod for this already done....and if your not racing it wont likely be a big problem anways. some of them also have charging problems, the battery slowly drains when sitting or riding, you can keep your headlights on while riding to help prevent this, or there's a mod out there to fix that too.

overall i LOVE my yfz, the only 450 i'd ever trade it for is a new yfz :D

in all reality when it comes down to the 450's its mostly preference. in general, none of them perform spectacularly better than all the others. each has its own pros and cons/peaks and valleys when it comes to power, handling, etc...but besides that, the yfz sure is the prettiest. :devil:

get one you wont regret it!!

#17YFZRACER
03-06-2008, 04:48 PM
what he said^:rolleyes: