PDA

View Full Version : Do aluminum handlebars cut down on fatigue?

SGA
11-05-2001, 12:56 PM
Time for new handlebars. I noticed when you push down on aluminum bars they flex some, does this help lessen arm fatigue over steel bars? also noticed some aluminum bars do not have cross bar/pad. is this better or worse? I run X/C & i'm trying to cut down on jarring/vibration through the bars. have the stockers on right now. thanks. also what is a good cut? cr high-low, 400ex, etc.

knighttime
11-05-2001, 01:13 PM
YES

krazykurtk
11-06-2001, 11:57 AM
I had a pair of steel MSR bars on my quad at one time. I recently put on some Pro Tapers and noticed less fatigue.:devil

barbwire44
11-06-2001, 01:22 PM
Not to burst any bubbles but aluminum in structure is much stiffer than steel and has less flex ,so aluminum handlebars actually flex less than steel bars. So i don't understand the ..less fatigue, unless the bars you switch to have a different bend and style that is actually more comftorable than the original steel bars. I still enjoy steel bars because of the durability and the elasticity that allows you to keep bending them back to shape after a tumble. Might also be the cheap price of steel vs. aluminum also.

knighttime
11-06-2001, 01:48 PM
Material: Renthal use an exclusive aluminium alloy which has been specifically developed for the manufacture of handlebars, that are required to withstand the rigours of Supercross and Motocross racing. The material is a derivative of a European aerospace specification. It has very high mechanical properties without the disadvantage of poor impact strength which is often associated with high strength alloys. It is also light in weight and its properties help limit vibration which is a common cause of rider fatigue.

86atc250r
11-07-2001, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by barbwire44
Not to burst any bubbles but aluminum in structure is much stiffer than steel and has less flex ,so aluminum handlebars actually flex less than steel bars. So i don't understand the ..less fatigue, unless the bars you switch to have a different bend and style that is actually more comftorable than the original steel bars. I still enjoy steel bars because of the durability and the elasticity that allows you to keep bending them back to shape after a tumble. Might also be the cheap price of steel vs. aluminum also.

Try riding your steel bars thru a rough section, then swap on an aluminum set - you will then realize that you haven't bursted any bubbles at all.

There is a huge difference between bars, and personally, I consider steel bars with a crossbar dangerous. They are very prone to giving you a wrist injury because of their lack of flex - which transmits the trail directly to your hands and wrists.

There's a lot of factors you are not thinking about... Another problem I've run into with steel bars (stock) is their flex pattern. After stressed a few times, they tend to become "springy". I've encountered this on a buddy's 400EX and my own (when new). What happens is that when the bar flexes down, it springs back up very quickly (where aluminum bars seem to have a more damped movement) - what this caused for us was on the MX track, after landing even small jumps, it would try to fold your wrist over.

My buddy had done it so many times that he injured his wrist pretty severely. I then rode the bike and noticed the same condition, always on the same side of the bars (which had been bent and straightened once or twice). We then swapped bars with another buddy that had some new aluminum bars and the problem disappeared.

I've also folded aluminum bars down when landing particularly hard jumps. This is a good thing, the bars absorbed the bulk of the energy instead of my hands, wrists, shoulders, etc. I was still hurting after landings like that, but nothing like I would have been with a set of aftermarket steel bars that wouldn't have bent.

Bars are very important and I'd never waste money on a set of steel bars.

If you want cheap and decent aluminum bars, look for the ones made by "Pro Racing" or "Factory Racing" - they generally cost around $30, work fine, and are available in a variety of colors. If I remember correctly, there are about 5 or 6 bends available.

SGA
11-07-2001, 11:10 AM
Thanks for your replies, what do yall think of cr high bend compared to the stock cut

86atc250r
11-07-2001, 11:14 AM
I am currently running a bend really close to CR high.

There's no one bend that's good for everyone. You just have to find what works for you, your style, your size, you preference...

papaw
11-07-2001, 02:19 PM
try this when you get your aluminum bars get a silicone gun and fill the bars full then let cure and put on grips.......instant anti-vibe bars..............