PDA

View Full Version : Yfz stiff thumb throttle remedy

yfzrider310
03-05-2008, 08:56 PM
All right I think there is a forum about this already but I was to lazy to look for it. So what im wondering is if it is worth 25 bucks for the carb spring on ebay. Or is it easier just to cut the carb spring yourself? Also I was wondering if it hurts throttle response and if the slide opens and closes all the way. Thanks for any help. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/yfz450-yfz-450-yamaha-carb-spring-throttle-spring_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43979QQihZ011QQi temZ320224815218QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

This is the link for the ebay item.

#17YFZRACER
03-05-2008, 09:07 PM
you could put a twist on it but id rather have a stiff thumb throttle. i have also heard of people putting 450r throttle components(not sure witch ones) on it an its supposed to cure it:confused:

xtylerx
03-06-2008, 12:53 AM
I would buy a new spring instead of cutting it, they are cheap anyways.

I've read people buying trx throttles too, and thats not even where the problem is, so I don't know how that improves anything.

cataway
03-06-2008, 03:26 AM
personally i feel it was money well spent ,feels like half the pull .
i have been told that some guys have had problems with the slide not returning all the way and then having a high idle, i have not experienced that ................yet.

yfzrider310
03-06-2008, 06:22 AM
have any of you guys cut the spring. I heard that works but I don't want to screw things up. Unless the job is really simple

nicker71
03-06-2008, 07:57 AM
I tried cutting mine first but I f'd it up so then I bought the ebay spring. It had easy to follow instructions and helped alot. I then put a 400ex throttle on which uses different leverage and it helped some too. I have had it for 3 years and never no problem with the carb getting stuck open. The TRX 90 is suppose to be a better throttle than the 400ex due to it longer thumb lever.

Just get the ebay spring and try it, if its still not enough then find a honda thunb throttle on ebay.

ECOR#8
03-06-2008, 07:58 AM
what most people do to "cure" this is to put a honda style throttle on their quad. you can get one off ebay for like $10- $15. i put one on my yfz and it made a world of difference. is sad really that one of the best things comfort wise for your yamaha is a honda part:rolleyes:

squadie
03-06-2008, 05:26 PM
I think Yamaha started putting a softer spring on the 06 and newer models, so the spring on ebay might not help yfzrider310. The Honda thumb throttle is probably the best you could do. Like others, I put both the new spring and the Honda thumb throttle on my 05 -- no problems any more.

One forum that originally recommended cutting the spring came back and said the opposite. Depending on how you cut it, less coils on a torsion spring should make it stiffer.

ktmbill
03-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Put on a honda thumb any year you will like it you have to by pass the throttle over ride jump the to wires at the wire loom

Crazy lil punk
03-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by ktmbill
Put on a honda thumb any year you will like it you have to by pass the throttle over ride jump the to wires at the wire loom

Please explain this more, what do those wires do?

ktmbill
03-06-2008, 08:13 PM
There is 2 wires coming out of your throttle unplug it take your throttle off know the other plug that you unplugged the throttle from jump the 2 wires together. MAKE sure you put on a kill switch because if your throttle sticks the motor will not shout off

ECOR#8
03-07-2008, 07:57 AM
on my 06 with this all i did was wrap it in electrical tape and zip tie it to the frame under the front plastic. it is protected and works fine without any wiring jobs needed. as long as nothing can hit that button and trigger the sensor then your quad will run fine, but if something hits that button your quad will shut off as soon as you gas on it.