PDA

View Full Version : 02 400ex performance upgrade?

hotbo400ex
03-05-2008, 10:31 AM
hey fellas new here.:D i have a 02 400ex bone stock when i bought it 8 months ago it had 10hours on it.still had the tits on the orginall tires.guy bought it for his son and he wouldnt work or go to school so he rode it 1-2 times a year on his farm.then stored it for 2 years.anyway.i have ridden it alot and really like it.
i am 6-1 and go 250 pounds big for the machine but oh well,lol!!!

i just ordered a k-n air filter.with pre-ware and a dynojet carb kit,with a billet end cap that does away with the little stinger.i know to leave the air box lid off and im gonna remove the choke.
this is just for starters to please me alittle more.i did not have the money right away for a pipe but in the future it will happen.

i have been riding with some buddies and family that all have bigger machines.2 have 660 raptors one has a new 700r and the other has a yz450f,1 has a 450ex.i can do pretty good in a short race but then its over, hurts my feelings some but i get over it.
they are all stock bikes and i dont think any of them have plans anytime soon to upgrade so i wanna be the first to sneak in there and do some upgrades.

does this sound good to start with???.what about changing the stock cam to a stage one hotcam.i love the power my ex has as far as down low so i dont want to hurt it much just give me alittle more up top.

you fellas seem to know your stuff so any help i would be thankful.travis.:)

drew416ex
03-05-2008, 02:56 PM
If you dont really want to get too far into the engine try a sparks timing advance key. If you want more power than that, go into the engine and put in a 10:1 or 11:1 piston with a hotcam stage 1 or 2. I had a 416 with 11:1 and a hotcam stage 2 and I could beat raptor 660s no problem. You cant use the sparks key with anymore compression with stock though.

Brauap
03-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Wow, you did a ton that I did. It makes a HUGE difference, trust me! But, I have the WB's.. Umm.. grind down the welds in the header, and a Monster Coil. Thats about it w/o going into the engine itself. Also, you can either buy a full system, or if you but a s/o you can buy a header like a PowerBomb from FMF.

hotbo400ex
03-05-2008, 08:30 PM
thank you very much for the info.i have no problem with going into the mill.i can wrench on just about anything.

what about installing the stage 1 cam without doing a raise in the compression??? what will i gain there.is there any cam better than the other as far as manuf.goes.i have had many quads but out of the game for several years,so i dont really know what i should,plus i mainly rode 2-strokes.thanks again for any help.where can i get a sparks advance key.:confused:

frenimy
03-05-2008, 08:39 PM
I have a sparks key you can have for $15 + shipping it is still in the package. As far as the cam goes I believe that you need more compression to fill the cylinder since the valves are open longer. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

drew416ex
03-05-2008, 09:00 PM
You will be alright with stage 1 on stock compression. But if you go bigger, I personally prefer to raise the compression to get the most out of the cam.

hotbo400ex
03-05-2008, 10:04 PM
okay thanks.im more interested in changing the cam than advancing the stock one,but thanks anyway,anyone have any other advice.travis:D

03-05-2008, 10:18 PM
TRX450R carb