PDA

View Full Version : will it wheelie???!!

superdude
03-05-2008, 06:07 AM
Seriously thinking about getting a 400ex! My XR 400 would not wheelie very easily. However my WR 426 is a front tire suspending machine lol. What can I expect with a trx 400ex???

Thanks, Superdude

sprayedgt
03-05-2008, 06:11 AM
Yes it'll wheelie!! I've always read that it's a wheelie monster and now I believe it. My '08 does it with ease.

08400EX
03-05-2008, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by sprayedgt
My '08 does it with ease.

So you got it?? Congrats and post some pics!!

Concerning wheelies, here is a video someone posted last week of a stock 05... you be the judge.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4zKW1bM-ak8&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4zKW1bM-ak8&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

REDRIDDER
03-05-2008, 07:18 AM
does it wheelie?....does a bear s#$% in the woods and wipe his arae with a rabbit....lol yes like i said last night the 400ex is the choice i think your looking for fun, very reliable lots of mods available less maintenance required then a 450r and its just overall a great machine very trail friendly.

sprayedgt
03-05-2008, 07:29 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 08400EX
[B]So you got it?? Congrats and post some pics!!

Oh yeah!!! I freaking love it!! Just trying to get used to the manual clutch before I take it out on the trails. I'll get some pics up soon.

REDRIDDER
03-05-2008, 07:47 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^NICE^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sprayedgt
03-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Thanks man. I debated over what to get for the longest time, found this site, talked with owners of all kinds, did my research and now I have the best machine out there for the riding I do. Go ahead and get the 400ex you WILL NOT regret it.

REDRIDDER
03-05-2008, 08:01 AM
The 400ex in my opinion is the best trail quad out their.It's not the fastest out their but it handles like no other and can be modded down the road to be even better than it is now.Oh did i forget to mention thats it's bullet proof and anyone can do allmost all of their own work to it.

mittman
03-05-2008, 08:53 AM
will it wheelie haha my ten year old bro can wheelie it lol

sprayedgt
03-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Well just a note on how bullet proof the thing is. My friends 400ex was stolen about a year ago. They ended up finding it about 3 weeks later in a river upside down. He recovered it and made a deal with the insurance company so he could keep it. He changed the oil, put a new battery and gas in it and the thing fired right up!! He still rides it and has never had a problem with it since day one. So yeah I'd say it's pretty much bullet proof.

shadowwalker
03-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by sprayedgt
Oh yeah!!! I freaking love it!! Just trying to get used to the manual clutch before I take it out on the trails. I'll get some pics up soon. [/B]

Thats the beauty of the 400. It doesn't need to be revved to the moon, so you can take your time on the trails without fear of dumping the clutch at high RPM's. You can literally chug along at idle with it.

I first used a manual clutch when i was like 13 or 14, and it isn't bad at all. You'll pick it up fast.

UNBROKEN
03-05-2008, 01:48 PM
the 400ex is alsome for wheeling, i had a YZ400F dirtbike so i was in the same class as u i love the 400ex

03-05-2008, 01:48 PM
I could lift em streight up in 1st and 2nd gear. If I wanted to pull a 3rd gear wheelie I would have to slow down and yank up. 4-5 not happning.

Hondamaster5505
03-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by shadowwalker
Thats the beauty of the 400. It doesn't need to be revved to the moon, so you can take your time on the trails without fear of dumping the clutch at high RPM's. You can literally chug along at idle with it.

I first used a manual clutch when i was like 13 or 14, and it isn't bad at all. You'll pick it up fast.

Yeah, lol. The one time I was on level ground, then I just let the clutch out very slowly and it took off and drove very slowly, but at an idle.

And the clutch thing, I first tries when I was 11. I completely sucked and didn't want to get a manual. Well, I ended up getting a blaster and was afraid to ride it.
Long story short, clutch became second nature and I don't even think when I shift. I much rather prefer manual now.

03-05-2008, 02:16 PM
pretty sure it will lol heres my friend

mittman
03-05-2008, 02:27 PM
this was third gear

mittman
03-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
pretty sure it will lol heres my friend

where can i get that helmet at lol

03-05-2008, 02:31 PM
rofl google ATV helmets and go to images. I think I did a pretty good job in paint

greenblood01
03-05-2008, 05:55 PM
I can pull the front end up on mine in 4th on a long straight and shift into 5th and keep the front end up. This is also with 18 inch tires.. I probably couln't hold 5th with 20's.

UNBROKEN
03-05-2008, 08:36 PM
FoxHondaRider, thats one sweet looking helmet lmao

bigcountry8406
03-05-2008, 10:56 PM
bajaracer21
Money

I could lift em streight up in 1st and 2nd gear. If I wanted to pull a 3rd gear wheelie I would have to slow down and yank up. 4-5 not happning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 2002 ex with 20 in tires and with a foot on my grab bar and i little jerk it'll stand in attention shifting into 5th gear. With a stock motor

CSR400EX
03-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by bajaracer21
on a stock EX, 4th is possible, but hard. i had a stage 1 cam, sparks exhaust and 4th gear wheelies were no problem. then added a 440, i could get er up in 5th:D

Phillburt57
03-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Not a long wheelie but yeh the EX can wheelie. This is when I only had a pipe and really bad jetting....

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ShWtocRW0WI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ShWtocRW0WI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Brauap
03-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I forgot if it was ATVSport or if it was DirtWheels, but they had a "Wheelie Contest" on the 10 quads that where most easy to wheelie, and guess where the 400ex. Com'on guess! 1st. Ohh yea.. it will wheelie.

Brauap
03-06-2008, 02:05 PM
I just found a video, and I would like to share it, but how does Phillburt57, and 08400EX post a video, so it shows like that?

Thank You

TRXRacer1
03-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by superdude
Seriously thinking about getting a 400ex! My XR 400 would not wheelie very easily. However my WR 426 is a front tire suspending machine lol. What can I expect with a trx 400ex???

Thanks, Superdude Not to be a downer but if you had a hard time getting an XR400 to wheelie you're going to need to work on the skills. That XR should be easier to bring up then an EX.

08400EX
03-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Not to be a downer but if you had a hard time getting an XR400 to wheelie you're going to need to work on the skills. That XR should be easier to bring up then an EX.

Too funny, when I saw the 1st post I was thinking the same thing. I have owned 3 XR400Rs, all were simply uncorked/jetted/pipped. With a simple quick roll on of the throttle in the first 3 gears they would always bring the front up on demand. My experiance (and fun) of riding XR400Rs in the woods was part of the reason I wanted a 400EX when I switched to Sport Quads. In reality for trail riding no one really needs more power than a jetted/piped XR or EX 400 can give you. I will admit that riding my HRC XR650R in the woods was a hoot, but no way could you really use all the extra power on the trails around here. The XR400 was one of the most balanced all around trail bikes I ever owned, just like the 400EX is the best all around balanced trail quad IMHO. For the Power, Handling, simplicity, and durability you really can't beat either one in my book.

400ex28
03-06-2008, 03:29 PM
No, it won't wheelie. :rolleyes:

klutch
03-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
No, it won't wheelie. :rolleyes:
He might think your serious :ermm:

Hondamaster5505
03-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
I just found a video, and I would like to share it, but how does Phillburt57, and 08400EX post a video, so it shows like that?

Thank You

youtube has codes on the side to copy and if you paste the code the video will show.

Brauap
03-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Ohhh, alright. Thanks! I'll try it out.

Brauap
03-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Ok, I was on YouTube and I came across this. I hope this answers your "Will It Wheelie?" question.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rzYDMVZywVU&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rzYDMVZywVU&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

lorenjr83
03-06-2008, 05:22 PM
if this kid can wheelie anyone can!!!!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/910DesyYpos"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/910DesyYpos" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

07trx400ex
03-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Just to clarify how easy it is to wheelie a 400ex, there is absolutely no clutch-work required at all to bring the machine all the way back on the grab bar. Now, if you want to ride a wheelie for a longer time, you will have to learn how to shift while in a wheelie. For starters and for practice just barely role in 2nd gear very little throttle pressure then nail the throttle all the way back, lean back and slightly pull the handle bars. If this does not work for you then there is something wrong.

lorenjr83
03-06-2008, 06:13 PM
all i have to do is crack it open in 1-3 gear. 4th and 5th get a little harder with my stock engine.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i241.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid241.photobucket.com/albums/ff88/lorenjr83/102_0047.flv">

thank god for that grab bar. you cant tell in the vid, but there is a dip in my neighbors yard that messed me up everytime i went thru their yard. if you turn it up you can hear my wife screaming right at the end when she stop recording. i was so mad at her. i rode right out of that!

03-06-2008, 06:17 PM
depends on the terrain and tires because of traction. If I try to wheelie in sugar sand its pretty hard to get it up there. If i'm on clay I tap the throttle and its up, this is on stock tires. My brother has razrs on the rear and its so much easier to wheelie. It goes right up because the tires dont spin nearly as much as stock. Get a good roll then bounce far back on the seat while hitting the gas and it will go. Actually the easiest way for me to wheelie is to put m legs agaisnt the rear fenders and get back far while standing up and just nail the gas an ride out. Best thing is to learn to get good use of that brake pedal.

Hondamaster5505
03-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Hey Brauap,

I watched that video lorenjr83 posted.

I have a suggestion. I noticed when you go to take off, you can't get the tires spinning easily. Try leaning over the handlebars, holding the front brake, and popping the clutch.

Hahahah, we ride at these abandoned train tracks by our house, and I roost everyone behind me.
It'll be smooth and fast paced for a while, then switch to big whoops you cant fly over. I smack the throttle when my rear wheels are at the top and roost everyone.

It was all fun and games until my friend got pissed off.:p We were going through mud puddle, and he came flying behind me so he can purposely get me soaked. Well.... it worked. lmao

Brauap
03-07-2008, 02:15 PM
C'mon. Why the heck did you have to post that? That was about a year ago, and just a little more than a week I had it. Now, I betcha I could go a 1/2 mile. Once the weather gets better, and I get YouTube back on, I'll show you. Your a jerk. Why does everyone gotta make fun of me w/ what ever I do? Your pathetic.:rolleyes: (Not you HondaMaster5505)

klutch
03-07-2008, 02:20 PM
C'mon. Why the heck did you have to post that? That was about a year ago, and just a little more than a week I had it. Now, I betcha I could go a 1/2 mile. Once the weather gets better, and I get YouTube back on, I'll show you. Your a jerk. Why does everyone gotta make fun of me w/ what ever I do? Your pathetic.:rolleyes: (Not you HondaMaster5505)

Don't worry about it. Everyone is tougher or cooler online :). You just keep doing what you are doing and stop caring what other people think.

lorenjr83
03-07-2008, 02:28 PM

wow name calling online! now that takes some balls! i remember when you joined atvconnections.com with the same name and asked all the same stuff you have here, and asked a million times how to ride a wheelie. your video show you doing a wheelie doesn't it. ok then! point proven the 400 will wheelie. If i was trying to bash some 14 year old why would i follow up with a video of me doing a wheelie and ending up on the grab bar?

Brauap
03-07-2008, 02:36 PM
atvconnection SUCKED! thats why I posted alot, to get atleast 1 person to answer. And Sorry, I call you a jerk, and pathetic. Just how you said it sounded like you where bagging on me. Sorry.

lorenjr83
03-07-2008, 02:39 PM
yes atvconnection does suck, im glad i found this site. if i remember right i think i was the one that referred you to this site.

maybe i shouldn't say that now i will get hate mail! lol

REDRIDDER
03-07-2008, 02:59 PM
(Originally posted by bigcountry88 I could lift em streight up in 1st and 2nd gear. If I wanted to pull a 3rd gear wheelie I would have to slow down and yank up. 4-5 not happning.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would agree with this 100%^^^^^^^^^^:D