PDA

View Full Version : 400ex or Z400

Arynock
11-20-2002, 02:53 AM
This coming march i'm planning on getting a 4-wheeler but i'm still deciding on what kinda to get, my dad is getting a 400ex and this is what he wants me to get, i'm okay with it, but i'm wondering if a Z400 is any better ??
I kinda wanted a shee, but i dont want a two-stroke engine, and a raptor just costs to much for me... Anyone wanna help me out with this...... anyone know how many hp a 400ex and a z400 stock has?
thanks for your time!

quadracer12
11-20-2002, 04:21 AM
man take it from someone who has both. buy the Z. they handle the same but you get more power, water cooled, and REVERSE for the same price. yes honda has the reliable thing in the favor but really there is no problem with the Z. let your dad get a ex and you get a Z. that way you will have both.

RiPPiNiTuP7
11-20-2002, 04:57 AM
I personally like the 400ex more than the Z400. Something to consider is dealers are selling 400ex's much cheaper...take me for example, I bought mine for $4800 OTD :square

MSL
11-20-2002, 07:12 AM
is your dad paying for it or are you?
If dad is paying for it get the 400EX thats what he wants you to have and it will be less expencive on dad plus its a great quad.
If you are paying for it get what you want its your money and they are both great quads to have..

Just my .02

joeroadking
11-20-2002, 07:24 AM
if you are buying with your own money here are some things to consider you can buy a 1 year old 400ex stock bullet proof for under 4000.thats a pretty good deal , but if it is not about the money the z has reverse and water cooling, they ride about the same so I would buy the z

Team Outlaw #34
11-20-2002, 09:02 AM
hey,

yeah you should get a 400EX that is like 1 or 2 years old. I know you can get a nice one for 3500. Then you add a bunch of mods to it and still be under what it costs for a z400.

oregonrider89
11-20-2002, 12:22 PM
don't get me wrong I love my Honda, but its hard to pass up the liquid cooled Z. Before you buy anything be sure to ask about a new honda, I'm sure it will be all that the Z is and more.

oregonrider89

Arynock
11-20-2002, 03:51 PM
Well, my parents are buying this one, and i get a choice, just not a raptor or shee :P which i dun really care about them... anywho....
I already asked about buying a used one, if i show them that its in great condition, still they would refuse, they want to get brandy new ones so incase anything... there shouldn't be anything wrong with em... ya'know what i mean??

How fast does a Z400 go? cuz i've been riding 4-wheelers for a year now, but never owned my own, i usually leech off my friend or something, he has a 400ex, i like it, but i also wanna try out a Z400...

So for the final draw, everyone thinks i should get a 400ex? cuz in school all i hear about it Z400s, and thats just heartbreaking :P
but oh well, cuz i'd rather take the advice of u guys, cuz i want a quad that will last me awhile and i wont have to worry about sucking it up in the woods...

A friend i know always cocks off how he has a 400Ex with dual exhaust and a whole bunch of other stuff and it'd top off 80+mph b/c his parents own a honda shop in a town 'bout 20 mins from here...

In a year or so, i'm gonna be working and hopefully be getting 2g's and i'm gonna buy the Z500 bore kit if i get the Z400 that is.. and i'm hoping i could atleast beat him in the trails, doesn't matter with top speed... just tired of getting cocked off to :)

UglyMotha™
11-20-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Arynock
A friend i know always cocks off how he has a 400Ex with dual exhaust and a whole bunch of other stuff and it'd top off 80+mph b/c his parents own a honda shop in a town 'bout 20 mins from here...

:huh :huh kids these days there more windy than a sack full of ******** but i did like the part about the dual exhaust:rolleyes:

**Rule #5**

Honda99_300ex
11-20-2002, 05:23 PM
HONDA.........

Stevo
11-20-2002, 06:43 PM
I would say get the z because it's just a 400ex with a lil more power, reverse, and liquid cooled. They do sit a lil higher and they're axles are known to bend but I would say that would be the best to get. Also honda's are known for their reliability but the z has a motor in it which comes froma proven drz400 motor.

So if ur not brand loyal like some are i would just say get the z and get an aftermarket axle.:D

Cole Trane
11-20-2002, 06:52 PM
I think the Z sits a little high. It's a nice bike though, my buddy bought one and the suspension is better than my 400ex. Just my opinion.

cheetah
11-20-2002, 07:06 PM
I would go for the Z, I love my 400ex, but everyone has one and I think I would get something new. Reverse is nice, but not necessary, liquid cooling is a nice feature too. I rode a Z and wasn't that impressed, it felt like a stock 400, but mod for mod, they say the Z gets more power. Go with it just to be different at least. And yes the axles have had problems, but from what I've heard suzuki replaces them free, that's something Honda wouldn't do.

Dune Surfer
11-20-2002, 09:52 PM
I love my Ex butt two of my buddies have Z's I would go fot the Z

Arynock
11-21-2002, 06:24 AM
Okay, i think i'm gonna get a Z400
does this sound good
i'm gonna get front\back sprockets to be 13/41 (How much speed will i lose? if not, i think i'm gonna set em diff.. to gain speed, not sure?!)

FMF Power Bomb Header with Power Core 4 Exhaust

Alba Air Adaptor Kit - K&N, Adaptor, Outerwear

and prolly the Team Alba Jet Kit...

i'm wondering... cuz i also wanna get the Z500 bore kit, so i'm gonna have to check out the peices i need for that and see if it interfers with what else i want with it... cuz i'll have the money for the updates... i just want to get me a powerful quad :P

whats the best ? more top-end? or accel?

Leo02400ex
11-21-2002, 06:33 AM
The funny thing is that the Z is all the buzz in your school, clearly thats because it is one of the newest sport bikes out. Dont worry because whatever you buy there is definatelly a new Honda on the way and once that comes out anyone who is chatting about the great "Z" will immediatelly be Honda fans. Get a used Honda that someone has some mild mods allready into and that either has an extended warranty or is less than 6 months old so you can purchase a warranty yourself. Additionally when you do need mods for your bike the availability of sources for cheap/ used for a Honda are endless.

Arynock
11-21-2002, 11:22 PM
Yea i understand what ya mean, but i wanna go with the Z i think because its got a few advantages over a 400ex.... Also wanna be diff... b/c everyone around here owns honda or polaris O.o so i'll be the oddball........

anyone know what would be good mods to put on a z400 at first?

Sorry about asking so much for z400s when this is an EX forum :)

QuadTrix6
11-22-2002, 12:23 PM
get a 400ex, don't buy into all the dirtwheels hype about the Z, the quad isn't all its cracked up to be and the axle is like rubber. go with the race proven 400ex you won't be disapointed. if your worried about speed don't iv'e beat on plenty of Z's with my 400, it's not all aboiut the quad...IMO

Arynock
11-22-2002, 12:37 PM
Hrm........ okay? but whats the fastest u've ever seen a 400EX do?

01TRX300EX
11-22-2002, 04:43 PM
Definately get a Z, like some people said, you get liquid-cooling, reverse, handling that is just as good, and they mod better. I believe Suzuki fixed their axle problem, I read that the first batch was heat treated wrong or something, and they give you a free one if you do break it.

Arynock
11-22-2002, 05:35 PM
See, i want a Z, but more peeps tell me to get a 400ex which is kinda heartbreaking concidering i've had my heart set on a Z400, i wanna take the advice, but i hear Z400's are so much better cuz they have liquid and reverse

I heard they fixed their axle problem on the 03' model, so wouldn't that cut out the rubber axle prob?

BIG ORANGE
11-22-2002, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I'm kinda in the same BOAT!! I am a DIE-HARD Honda owner, have been for over 20 years.

Its time for me to purchase a new ATV with better susp. AND with REVERSE. My favorite ATV manufacturer doesnt make the quad I want right now, but MAY/possibly/hopefully could have one on the market in 2004 or 2005. Why should I wait???:confused: Suzuki has what I want in yellow or white.

Honda has sat on this quad plan for tooooo long.....I think that they are going to lose the Hi-Perf market for a few years, unfortunatly.

I'm visiting a Suzuki dealer tomorrow.:eek: :huh to check out a Z!!

billyblaster
11-22-2002, 08:00 PM
I also had to choose between the 400ex and the Z..i said NO WAY IM NOT GETTING A SUZUKI!!!. so i kept riding my friends 400ex and i was inlove with it. Then one day i was at the sand pits and i saw 2 Z400's and i just loved the extra power it had over the 400ex's...theywere smokin 400ex's. So i decided to go test ride a Z, and i did and right when i got on it and felt how much power it had over the 400ex for the same price, i had to get the Z. When i ride with my friend (he has a ex)....his motor gets so hot after ridin in the sand pits...mine stays nice and cool.
I recently rode his and it felt very slow compared to myZ400.......i have another friend that has experianced the same thing...he rode the 400ex, then got back on the Z and was like WHOA......it isnt that much faster but the extra power is noticeable...ya so i say go with the Z400. i am really happy with mine.

BIG ORANGE
11-22-2002, 08:32 PM
My buddies got a 400ex also and loves it. But someone came to his house to ride the track with a Z and now that's ALL he talks about. I wasnt there to ride that day but he rode it and says its AWESOME. Flat out beat his 400ex on the track and drag racing. Heck, they even changed bikes and the Z won everytime.

My wife is even corn-fused. I have trained her to believe that there is only one ATV maker and Suzuki wasn't it!!

Team Outlaw #34
11-22-2002, 09:12 PM
bahhhhhh! Its the RIDER! the Z has like 2 horsepower more....and they cost $1000 more....you should ask your parents if you can get a EX and take that extra money and get some shocks and a pipe, K&N and your set....you'd deffenently beat a Z on the track....

Unless you are just going to be riding trails cause you probly want reverse....

But thats just my opinion go with what your heart feels.... :)

billyblaster
11-22-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Team Outlaw #34
bahhhhhh! Its the RIDER! the Z has like 2 horsepower more....and they cost $1000 more....you should ask your parents if you can get a EX and take that extra money and get some shocks and a pipe, K&N and your set....you'd deffenently beat a Z on the track....

if the Z had the same mods as the 400ex....the Z would still be faster. it just produces more hp and responds to mods better.

Team Outlaw #34
11-22-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by billyblaster

responds to mods better.

i dont' know about that....

where did you hear that?

billyblaster
11-22-2002, 09:19 PM
dirtwheels....etc.....i dont think they would lie but you never know. ok ....look at pipe makers websites and see how much hp increase they claim for the Z and the 400ex....i bet it will be a higher inscrease on the Z.

billyblaster
11-22-2002, 09:22 PM
im really anxious to see how much more power my friends 400ex will have when he gets his lrd....i think if i still beat him with my stock Z after he gets a pipe...he will be mad:p

BIG ORANGE
11-22-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Team Outlaw #34

Mommy is not buying this for me.......

By bud's 400ex has ALL those add-ons and the Z was STOCK!! Yes, I do like the idea of reverse but is it worth changing brands??

Team Outlaw #34
11-22-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by BIG ORANGE

Mommy is not buying this for me.......

By bud's 400ex has ALL those add-ons and the Z was STOCK!! Yes, I do like the idea of reverse but is it worth changing brands??

What did you just say? :huh

what about your mom not buying it?

i was talkin to arynock....

Arynock
11-22-2002, 09:43 PM
ahh **** with it... i think i'm gonna go ahead and be diff for once and go get the Z400, question anyone got any idea of what would be some good mods to start off with after i get it?
How fast u think i could get a Z400 going with like a aftermarket pipe, jetkit, diff sprockets, k&n air filter, so and so.. it'd raise the hp bunches since they respond better to mods :)

billyblaster
11-22-2002, 10:00 PM
a Stock Z smokes a stock 400ex....so you would murder a stock 400ex. Z400 is about 32 hp stock, so with a pipe and jetting...it depends how much the maker claims it gains...just look into it.

Team Outlaw #34
11-22-2002, 10:11 PM
Stock Z will beat a EX but its not gonna SMOKE it :)

Team Outlaw #34
11-22-2002, 10:14 PM
oh well....

As for mods you should get a K&N filter, I have a t-4 pipe and like it another good pipe for it would be a White Brothers e series pipe....and then just find out the right jetting for it....

Another suggestion is is that you should check out z400central.com and ask what some good first mods would be....

11-22-2002, 10:15 PM
Z400 cuz it is faster, more power, get your money out of easier!

josh
11-22-2002, 11:10 PM
i say totally get a z!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all these people that are telling you to get the ex are brand loyal, i am kinda brand loyal, altho i do like yami's dirtbikes better than honda's but that's off subject, go to z400central and watch some of there vids on those things and scan through forums and check it out, pretty nice site, similar to this one but all in all i like the people here better than anywere, that's y i stay here but..............................
GET A FREEGIN Z DAMNIT, you will also be acomplishing

1. being "different" for a change
2. being able to swallow a 400ex mod for mod
3. getting way better re-sale value out of it
4. getting more bang for the buck on any mod you choose
5. your dad is getting a ex so you guys will have the best of both worlds
6. the Z comes with reverse witch can be a life saver in some situations i've been in before
7. a slightly lighter and more powerfull quad over the ex
8. a nice cumfy seat that is better for any type of riding
9. liquid cooling system so when you add mods it will probably stay cooler than those modded ex's
10. yes the z motor is a proven motor from the drz and i haven't heard any problems about the quad's besides the axles bending when put under extreme pressure and heavy jumping
11. getting the newest coolest looking quad in my opinion
12. being able to beat your dad in a race whenever you feel like nailing the throttle

AGAIN I AM ASKING THESE QUESTIONS, i am sorta brand loyal and do love the 400ex but y do i love the z so much more, i mean seriously, the ex is a nice quad but y is everybody so much happier with a z, and everywere i go around here(all the dealers) there isn't any z's on the showroom floor because people buy them before they even arive at the dealership, those things are still on backorder out here, common guys, i love honda and love the ex but you can't face the facts, the z is a slightly lighter, liquid cooled, much more powerfull honda 400ex with reverse

were can you go wrong with the z, it has the susp and handling of a ex, the ballz of suzuki's dual overhead cam motor, and the raptors great looks, and it even comes with reverse

anyone gonna try to dissagree, common now, there is not much room for arguement, i love honda but suzuki made this one better

billyblaster
11-22-2002, 11:12 PM
oh and about the axles bending.....that was on the first prodution of Z's that came out.........they have now put stronger axles on the newer Z's.

quadman
11-23-2002, 08:37 AM
ok i am gonna state what probably noone else has, YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG WITH EITHER ONE , THEY ARE BOTH GREAT QUADS:D

Arynock
11-23-2002, 08:39 AM
Well, its settled then, i guess i'll be getting a z400 :)

billyblaster
11-23-2002, 09:12 AM
Well, its settled then, i guess i'll be getting a z400 :)
You will be VERY happy with it:) ....i sure am!

Arynock
11-23-2002, 09:19 AM
how much will a Z400 brandy new cost? lowest i mean around....
I went to z400central and asked about modding, now i'm just waiting on a respond :P

billyblaster
11-23-2002, 09:22 AM
They are 5699 brand new....some people already have them forsale on ebay and stuff for a lot lower price. You can even buy the "demo" quad from the dealer.....like the one people test ride...for a cheaper price. when i bought my Z i traded in my old blaster. oh and im billyblaster on z400central.

Arynock
11-23-2002, 09:24 AM
I'm TheZ, anywho, so question, if i put a t4 exhaust on a 400ex then on a Z, how much speed gain difference are we looking out, or will they just gain power and not speed?

billyblaster
11-23-2002, 09:27 AM
Post something like that on z400 central....alot of them modded it and know how much power it gave. It will still beat a 400ex...the Z just makes more hp. stock 400ex is like 27-28hp....stock Z is like 32-33. That does make a difference.

Arynock
11-23-2002, 09:28 AM
Yeah, alrighty, i will...
So how fast does ur Z go?

billyblaster
11-23-2002, 09:50 AM
it has no motor mods......tops out at like 68-70 on road.

QuadTrix6
11-23-2002, 11:28 AM
Hrm........ okay? but whats the fastest u've ever seen a 400EX do?

i love kids who think its all about speed. the EX was not designed for speed if you want speed go with a yamaha if you want to be able to do jumps and hit turns fast then get an EX, honestly i think theres too much hype about the Z but i can care less what this kid gets, he'll just be another Z that i will crush on the track :devil

cjpoole1
11-23-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix66

i love kids who think its all about speed. if you want to be able to do jumps and hit turns fast then get an EX, honestly i think theres too much hype about the Z

watch all the EX's that get smoked by Page, Yokely, Gallagher, ect who will all be riding KFX/Z 400's next year

billyblaster
11-23-2002, 01:32 PM

i love kids who think its all about speed. the EX was not designed for speed if you want speed go with a yamaha if you want to be able to do jumps and hit turns fast then get an EX, honestly i think theres too much hype about the Z but i can care less what this kid gets, he'll just be another Z that i will crush on the track :devil
ya...well i do hit turns fast and jump with my Z...i smoke 400ex's on our tracks we have. you talk **** about Z's and you probably never rode one...ya you are smart.

NoFrillz
11-23-2002, 06:24 PM
Go for the Z I have a 400ex and my brother has a Z, handling wise they are the same, but the Z has most power and most potential for power being, a liquid cooled dual overhead cam. I mean I love my 400ex and its got some mods, but the Z stock still beats me, so I mean for a lil extra go for the Z its a new model, I mean the 400ex is unfourtunately an outdated air-cooled engine. The Z is the way to go.

Also the cocky guy with the 400ex (couple pages back)..... you may possibly be a better rider, but that has nothing to do with the fact that the Z is a better quad.......

RiPPiNiTuP7
11-23-2002, 08:23 PM

LOL, I'm with you there man :macho The only spot you will notice those 2 little extra horsepower is probably in a drag....pssh who cares about drags...doing any type of real ridiing their going to be so close it will all be based on skills...people need to stop whining about which is better and go out and ride.

Arynock
11-24-2002, 08:16 PM
Lol, and also i heard its 10hp not 2 :P i've seen like 5 dynos of Z's and 400ex's compared to each other, and a 400ex pulled like 24 or so and the z pulled 32 or so... so about 8hp ?
were is this 2hp coming from?

RiPPiNiTuP7
11-24-2002, 09:06 PM

The dynos I seen ;)

UglyMotha™
11-25-2002, 08:30 AM
Lol, and also i heard its 10hp not 2 :P i've seen like 5 dynos of Z's and 400ex's compared to each other, and a 400ex pulled like 24 or so and the z pulled 32 or so... so about 8hp ?

DIRTWHEELS!:eek:

LMFAO

BIG ORANGE
11-26-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by NoFrillz
Go for the Z I have a 400ex and my brother has a Z, handling wise they are the same, but the Z has most power and most potential for power being, a liquid cooled dual overhead cam. I mean I love my 400ex and its got some mods, but the Z stock still beats me, so I mean for a lil extra go for the Z its a new model, I mean the 400ex is unfourtunately an outdated air-cooled engine. The Z is the way to go.

Also the cocky guy with the 400ex (couple pages back)..... you may possibly be a better rider, but that has nothing to do with the fact that the Z is a better quad.......

I agree.....I test drove one on Saturday (on pavement). It felt more nimble and more aggressive than a 400ex in the short time I rode it. I liked the reverse cuz there wasn't any rev limiter.

I cant believe that I am changing brands.....I'm picking it up this weekend. :huh ;)