PDA

View Full Version : Ebay suspension

born2ride14
03-04-2008, 05:33 PM
look some guy is making his own line of drr a arms and swing arms and stems look pretty decent too for the price. save $200

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/drx-drr-eton-apex-kasea-mini-quad-long-travel-a-arms_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el126 2QQcategoryZ43974QQihZ023QQitemZ360030009074

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/drx-drr-eton-apex-kasea-mini-quad-long-travel-swingarm_W0QQitemZ360030012285QQcmdZViewItem?hash= item360030012285

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/drx-drr-anti-vibe-steering-stem-w-clamp-2-e-ton-kasea_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el12 62QQcategoryZ43971QQihZ023QQitemZ360007761472

i think i may be intrested:blah: :) :cool: :D :( :macho :scary: :devil: :eek2: :p

Perazzimx14
03-04-2008, 06:15 PM
The fellow from Shermansdale is who I bought my DRR from. I would not be afraid to try his products if i was in the market.

born2ride14
03-05-2008, 05:28 AM
wow
this guy has really low prices a d-carter front end is $800 and this setup is $500

THARNESS
03-05-2008, 07:33 AM
These might be good products but without them being proven it would be hard for me to put them on my kids race quad. I know for a fact that the DC stuff is top notch. Dave has worked with Elka and Fox to design shocks specificly for his a-arms and swingarms. To pay a little more for something that has had a ton of R&D, and has been proven to be a winning setup would be a no-brainer for me. Just my 2cents.

etondaddy
03-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by THARNESS
These might be good products but without them being proven it would be hard for me to put them on my kids race quad. I know for a fact that the DC stuff is top notch. Dave has worked with Elka and Fox to design shocks specificly for his a-arms and swingarms. To pay a little more for something that has had a ton of R&D, and has been proven to be a winning setup would be a no-brainer for me. Just my 2cents.

I'm with you DC all the way. My stuff should ship today...

Mike Kozura

quadnana7
03-05-2008, 05:03 PM
We Love SUPER DAVE
DC Motorsports is the way to go if you are going to spend the money to go to the Nationals you want to make sure you will have something that will hold up and Dave's products have proven they do.
Not saying the other is bad just don't know anyone that has run their setup and I wouldn't want to take a chance at the Nationals maybe if we rode locally only( might try) but they say once you ride a Super Dave you want ride anything else
Thats just my 2 cents:devil: :devil:

mxdad423
03-05-2008, 09:56 PM
I agree 100%, Dave has put alot of R&D into his products and they have proved themselves time and time again. I have bought every suspension part off of Dave that he has made and we have never had one complaint, everything has been AWSOME. CHEAPER ISN'T ALWAYS THE WAY TO GO, I have always lived by the saying "you get what you pay for". I know this is the DRR section, but I just couldn't talk my son off of his Kasea so here is a pic of the mock up with the new DC LT front end on the Kasea.....

Kevin Smitley

quadscrib
03-06-2008, 07:33 AM
Well I suppose time will tell. I know from here and other places that the DC setup is the cats..meow but thogh it doesnt seem to be the case here (He obviously sell sALOTof them) $800.00 for mini quad a arms just doesnt jive to me..I didnt pay that for My laegers LT front end for my YFZ (not protrax) and I personally would take a shot at saving $300.00 and if worse came to worse Im sure I could get that back out of the setup if we didnt like it.
I do not know this guy and am in no way defending him but besides the fact that I am VERY aware of the value of R and D (and we dont know how much he has maybe done) I cant knock him or his product.
I DO NOT want to offend anyone here at all and due to TONS Ive read I have nothing but TOTAL respect for Dave Carter and his products I think that $800.00 for MINI QUAD a-arms is appalling and that's not the shocks or the rear end that ya gotta have.
Longtravle full size adult quad front ends cost that. (Usually less)
I am a sales man and let me tell you I would sell a lot more of the DC frontends for $650.00 or $700.00 that would make up the Diff in price quickly.
be I in NO WAY meen any of this viciously... My son is in the Limited 50 class for his last year and who knows what I might do when it comes down to it once hes where we can even consider such an upgrade.
By the way I am in no way a cheapskate just picky.
I dont give the guy respect if he has simply copied Daves stuff (and have no reason to suspect he has) but sure cant knock him cause he so more down to earth on his pricing and Im willing to give it a shot myself. I just hope its laying thay way when the time comes for my son and I to step up the Ol DRX. just my opinion

tireman43
03-06-2008, 08:11 AM
quadscrid I understand your position and opinion. I too wish the prices would be more friendly.

About the suspension in question on ebay...It looks to me like stock a-arms with shock mounts in a different location. The swinger looks the same. I have actually been throwing the idea around for doing this same type of stuff myself. I know a few people in the fabrication business. I just don't know how well it would work. Now I by no means know the guy making these and mean no disrespect but it's my observation. If you look at the DC and ATV4Play suspensions look like they are true LT setups. Just my .02 cents.

Kevin

etondaddy
03-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Wooooooooo……… hold on a minute your not comparing apples to apples here. The steering stem’s close and I can get you a DC one for about that. But the front and rear suspension isn’t even close……… Dave’s stuff is true LT and the swing arm is full round housing. I’m not saying dudes stuff’s bad it’s just not the same as say DC’s, Four-play’s, or Profab. And I’m sure I can get you off that 800 number if your ever in the market.

Mike Kozura

markvette
03-06-2008, 08:51 AM
looks like what he has done is move the shock mount out as far as he can to put longer shocks on. notice how the a-arms do not have the gull wing shape like daves and daves shock mounts are a lot farther in. not saying it wont work good. on bubas old single a-arm eton i had a set of plus 3's with the shock mount moved out so you could run a 12" shock and the a-arms worked very good. i dont see his price for the swinger though. it is just a copy of a stock swinger but longer. daves swinger has the round carrier and his has the stock carrier. you use to be able to buy a similar swinger for about $300.

Mark

humboldt hills
03-06-2008, 08:54 AM
just another note. any specialty item like this will always be cheaper on a full size jap quad. More people are buying them and bigger companies are making them. We are still in the early stages of whats to come in the miniatv world, these are still very new ideas and we will have to pay for the R and D for the time being.

etondaddy
03-06-2008, 09:10 AM
This is Dave's LT front end for Kyle's TRX90/125 Honda. Keep your TV tuned to the Dave Carter channel................. Now that he's teamed up with Brad Loomis.............. Look out.... the mini quad worlds going for a ride baby............ no clue were this trains going end. But I’m along for the ride.

Mike Kozura

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/cdfront.jpg

quadscrib
03-06-2008, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by quadscrib
[I think that $800.00 for MINI QUAD a-arms is appalling

I intentionally have logged back on just to correct that statement....I don't want to ruffle feathers and feel MY use of the word "appalling" is a bit much and I apologize.
I do stand by the rest of my post though.
I race as well and many that I know can never justify such an expense so instead take less costly measures. And it usually works pretty well for them. I will admit that I tried that myself and it didnt work for me but hindsight being 20/20 I think my first set of ELKAs for my YFZ were just set up wrong.
Im off base now but I just again want to repeat that I DO NOT want to offend anyone here, sorry to use such a strong word.

etondaddy
03-06-2008, 10:40 AM
No problem…………. As you can tell I’m true blue DC…… nothing against the other guy’s. It’s all in who you believe in and trust. If you ever decide to go DC let me know don’t let those numbers people are throwing around on here scare yea………. Give me a call and I can get you hocked up with a guy that will give you the best DC deal he can.

Mike Kozura

quadscrib
03-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanx man.

dcarter
03-07-2008, 05:37 AM
hello all,
I inderstand that 800.00 is a lot money for a-arms. remember when i built the kesea duals that rich sold they were the same price several years ago. now this new stuff is long travel and the old was not. if you will take a set of my long travel a-arms and count the peices built for each set of a-arms you will find that there are 50 parts made for each set of a-arms that does not include the tubing that has to be cut polised bent and welded for each set. that does not include the purchased parts. i have four cnc machines to build all the parts and it cost's lots of money to run them. like the one post said these bikes are not built in the amouts of the big bikes.
here are a few things i designed into my set up.
1. with the heim joints at the frame this allows you to square the front a-arms to the back so the bike tracks true.
2.you hace both caster and camber adjustment, a bit hard to get set up but once done you are finished.
3. the heims can be purchased any where.
4. the stub ball set up on the end is greasable and rebuildable.
5. the stub ball set up also weights less giving you less unsprung weight. making the front end lighter.
i am not saying any one else's stuff is not as good as mine i thinki there is a lot of good stuff out there. i just wanted people to know what goes into each set and what we are trying to give the buyer.
the most important thing you have is your kids and i will not build any thing i would not put my kids on. thanks everyone for the positive feed back.

etondaddy
03-07-2008, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the tracking numbers and the sneak peek pics of the rear end Dave can't wait until Tuesday to start the build.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/cdfrear.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/dcrear1.jpg

pnbsdad
03-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Hey it's racing nothing is cheap lol

etondaddy
03-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by pnbsdad
Hey it's racing nothing is cheap lol
No truer words have ever been spoken my friend.......... I'll have 13 grand in this Honda............. but what the h*ll it's for the kids................right. :D :D I guess I'm living my like through my son.......... my old man hade a fit when I wanted a baseball glove..lol

Mike Kozura

77racerdad
03-07-2008, 04:18 PM
don't mean to get off the subject. edaddy how does that stand work out for you. do you take it to the track with you. how high does it get it up.and is it the new super plastics just looks like it would work out :D :D does dave make a swinger with the round carrier for the hottest atv (apex) .
:D :D :D :D :D :) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :blah: :blah: :D :D :rolleyes:

bradley300
03-07-2008, 04:22 PM
any of you guys tried Snyder Motor Sports stuff? seems to be doing real good in northern ohio. they are using HLS shocks (stockers in the pic). i've got a pic of the a-arms (they are LT), but i dont have one of the swingarms

born2ride14
03-07-2008, 04:35 PM
now those are very nice! i look an their site and thdidnt have them listed how much do they run?

etondaddy
03-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by 77racerdad
don't mean to get off the subject. edaddy how does that stand work out for you. do you take it to the track with you. how high does it get it up.and is it the new super plastics just looks like it would work out :D :D does dave make a swinger with the round carrier for the hottest atv (apex) .
:D :D :D :D :D :) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :blah: :blah: :D :D :rolleyes:
That's Dave's stand those pics are at Dave's shop......... and yes Dave does make suspension for Apex also give him a call or e-mail tell him I sent yea ;)

Mike Kozura

03-07-2008, 05:18 PM
This is a interesting topic. I just want you follow this great little mini quad the drr is the first thing it needs is a aftermarket bumper then a set of a arms&frnt suspension and then a $400 stering stabilizer then a full motor build with a new improved cyl and head crank , bearings, reeds,clutching , transmision mod$$$$ , and a chain and sprockets also a $500. exhaust then a new carb, gusseted frame ,a foot brake, nerf bars AND a swing arm and rear shock/suspension and mabey a new rear axle and carrier and lets not forget the wheels and tires. then we can go to the track and wait for the next thing to break or for the next new thing to come out. are we still using the stock brake fluid??

wouldent it make more 'cents' to buy a frame and cases with fenders quick math with the parts peddlers discounted prices still show me six to seven thousand dollar mini quads+labor sounds like a hell of a quad. but I am sure everyone gets a better discount deal than the next guy and the bikes built up only cost four thousand , ya right!! I say this is ALL appalling.

bradley300
03-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by 300maniac
now those are very nice! i look an their site and thdidnt have them listed how much do they run?

750, they are +.75+1

i'll have some more a-arm and some swingarm pics later

quadscrib
03-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by dcarter
hello all,
I inderstand that 800.00 is a lot money for a-arms. remember when i built the kesea duals that rich sold they were the same price several years ago. now this new stuff is long travel and the old was not. if you will take a set of my long travel a-arms and count the peices built for each set of a-arms you will find that there are 50 parts made for each set of a-arms that does not include the tubing that has to be cut polised bent and welded for each set. that does not include the purchased parts. i have four cnc machines to build all the parts and it cost's lots of money to run them. like the one post said these bikes are not built in the amouts of the big bikes.
here are a few things i designed into my set up.
1. with the heim joints at the frame this allows you to square the front a-arms to the back so the bike tracks true.
2.you hace both caster and camber adjustment, a bit hard to get set up but once done you are finished.
3. the heims can be purchased any where.
4. the stub ball set up on the end is greasable and rebuildable.
5. the stub ball set up also weights less giving you less unsprung weight. making the front end lighter.
i am not saying any one else's stuff is not as good as mine i thinki there is a lot of good stuff out there. i just wanted people to know what goes into each set and what we are trying to give the buyer.
the most important thing you have is your kids and i will not build any thing i would not put my kids on. thanks everyone for the positive feed back.

I sure didnt want you to have to explain your cost. Im new to the mini scene and am just surprised that other than initial cost of the quads ( which I am definatly not complaining about) the add ons are as much or more than full size quads and Its more than I expected... I DO fully realize the R and D end of things and well I suppose on my end I never factored in all the bits and peices. (as far as your arms are concerned)
Though we so far do not run anything of yours (yet) all I have read on every mini forum EVERYWHERE is how good your stuff is so I in no way contest that. You DO get what you pay for for the most part and I am usually the first to say that to others. I work in the automotive field and make that point regularly.
As far as Mr......719 or whatever WTF?Im assuming youre being funny....ha ha ick

azextreme
03-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by etondaddy
Thanks for the tracking numbers and the sneak peek pics of the rear end Dave can't wait until Tuesday to start the build.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/cdfrear.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/dcrear1.jpg

What are the shock lenghts front & back??

quadscrib
03-07-2008, 09:36 PM
I was thinking the images there were reversed due to the sprocket/rotor location but I see the word "warning" on the ELKA res. whats the deal there?

Nichols Atvs
03-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Thats because its a Honda frame . This is the first dc set up for the honda Thats why .

quadscrib
03-07-2008, 10:05 PM
I did notice its definatly not a DRR and figured some form of mini but I didnt even consider the little TRX.. thats cool I like the little thumpers :)

tireman43
03-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by ......720
This is a interesting topic. I just want you follow this great little mini quad the drr is the first thing it needs is a aftermarket bumper then a set of a arms&frnt suspension and then a $400 stering stabilizer then a full motor build with a new improved cyl and head crank , bearings, reeds,clutching , transmision mod$$$$ , and a chain and sprockets also a $500. exhaust then a new carb, gusseted frame ,a foot brake, nerf bars AND a swing arm and rear shock/suspension and mabey a new rear axle and carrier and lets not forget the wheels and tires. then we can go to the track and wait for the next thing to break or for the next new thing to come out. are we still using the stock brake fluid??

wouldent it make more 'cents' to buy a frame and cases with fenders quick math with the parts peddlers discounted prices still show me six to seven thousand dollar mini quads+labor sounds like a hell of a quad. but I am sure everyone gets a better discount deal than the next guy and the bikes built up only cost four thousand , ya right!! I say this is ALL appalling.

I see you've made your usual negative appearance. You know what's appaling is your attitude on boards such as this. I know for me personally it's about my kids having fun and keeping them doing something other than running the streets and getting into trouble. I'm sure it's the same for almost everyone else on here. We would all like to keep it as inexpensive as possible and that is what we are discussing here...different suspension options. Every sport cost money and we all try to get that next great thing even if it turns out to be a dud. I'd like to know your expertise and what you've riden/built that didn't cost money? BTW if you want to keep bashing the DRR your in the wrong section.

Kevin

bradley300
03-07-2008, 11:32 PM
you also need to remember the more a-arms you can sell, the cheaper you can make them. thats alot of the reason why DRR a-arms will never be as cheap as similar a-arms for a 450r. with the DRR, you have way fewer a-arms, so the R&D cost cant be spread out over nearly as many sets

03-07-2008, 11:33 PM
O dear Kevin ,correct me if any of what I said was wrong?? could ya please be so helpfull has to put a price to the parts and "mods" I pointed out?? so we can have a truthfull figure to what a full race mini now costs. I take the time to ask questions and the followers around here get all worked up and ichen for a arguement ,again why? lets realy come up with a figure to build one of these drr's with the new parts just already posted on this site?? any one care to cut the B.S.??:eek2: :eek2:[COLOR=darkblue]

dcarter
03-08-2008, 04:11 AM
hey quadscrib,
you do have a good point about the price of the stuff for the minis being so high. I just posted how many parts and things go into each set of a-arms so people would know. The other thing i wanted to poing out about using the heims on the frame is the fact that all of these minis are different and if i made the lower a-arms standard then people would have no way to square the bike so it can track straight. I like to have a product that will work the same on any bike. Your point in the first post did not upset me at all this is a costly sport i have two boys racing so i really understand that. I am glad to see more companies coming into the market, when i retired and started building these parts for minis six years ago there where a lot of companies building things for the minis, most of them were let's say fly by night guys and they didn't last. When i started i got hooked up with the hetrick's and they were just getting started so we teamed up. I designed and built the parts and they sold them under there name. This worked really well at the time. Over the last two years the market has gone down to just a few bikes to build stuff for so i am glad there is more intrest in minis and people like yourself are buying parts. this gets me excited about the market growing again. thnkas for the post. you brought out a very good point .
p.s. there are a lot of new things coming out of my shop very soon for the minis, like a carbon fiber steering steem with a billet top and a steel bottom assembly. the really cool thing about these steem is if you have a crash and do break the steem you can send it back and get a noe carbon tube put in at a frection of the cost. how is that for cool?

quadscrib
03-08-2008, 07:56 AM
That's very cool , I saw it (Ithink) on that INDY quad and that's some cool stuff. I'm familiar w/ the strength-weight ration of carbon fiber and as I recently went on a weight savings kick on my YFZ (removed 34 LBS in one whop) I totally appreciate the benefit..plus Carbon Fiber= BLING lol..
I'm sure when it all comes down to it your direct product (or something produced by you) will end up on his quad once we leave the Limited class... I ALWAYS find a way to justify cost in the long run (much to my wife's chagrin) and of course Im looking at things through MY pocketbook not others and cost is all relative lol.
Dave please keep making the KICK ***** products that you do and I think that youll be able to "spread the cost of R and D" due to the fact that this IS a growing segment of the sport...even if the prices dont come down itll allow you to design more stuff for us.

drr5
03-08-2008, 08:32 AM
as for 720,s post he makes one point about the expense it takes to build a full aftermarket race mini, but for most of us that is not the case , we buy a part at a time or a few to get started, or you have people like etondaddy with gobbs of cash to spend, lol just kidding , but going the route to build his kid the best he can,, unfortunatly no company has built the ultimate race quad that needs nothing even the cobra has its downfalls even after its initial cost most owners of the cobra upgrade there a arms swingarm, motor, shocks, etc so as far as 720,s post there is no solution as far as a perfect quad he himself was big into kasea and lrx , and they needed plenty of mods to compete. so until a company builds a quad that needs nothing people like dave carter, atv fourplay and so on will be needed for these minis to compete.

dcarter
03-08-2008, 06:07 PM
yea a race ready quad cost a lot of money. the only one i know of is the mod's i build. they are shifter bikes and not cheep. The only advantage is once the bike is bought all you have to do is maintain it. i have been building the frames for five years and so far not one frame has broke. I worked with jb at jb racing when i built my quad. same rear set up as his but mine has 250 front geo. this is my youngest sons last year on one. i guess i will get into big bike parts next year.

howmuchnow
03-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Or ya'll could go get a Cobra and save yourself 4 grand in the long run. Sooner or later people are going to have to face the facts that the cvt quad ( I don't care what brand ) are not built to race.

wvspeedfreak
03-08-2008, 07:56 PM
You gotta pay to play.I haven't found a cheap hobby yet...........I don't think there is one (that interests me anyway haha).Once your kid gets to the point where they are riding hard enough that stuff starts breaking,open your wallet......there is no cheap way out :p I am just glad there are guys out there building parts to take the abuse.

drr5
03-08-2008, 08:49 PM
alright swead we get it , you can stop pushing your amway , oops sory the cobra , i should have stated earlier in my other post that i ment a cost effective race quad, dave is right the hand built mod bikes are very dependable but also pretty costly.

quadscrib
03-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by howmuchnow
Or ya'll could go get a Cobra and save yourself 4 grand in the long run. Sooner or later people are going to have to face the facts that the cvt quad ( I don't care what brand ) are not built to race.
I was bored and spent some time reading the Cobra forum the other day and I don't find your statement very accurate. In fact after reading things over there I felt QUITE satisfied that we've gone the DRR route.
I do realize we are comparing apples to oranges but I was quite dismayed w/ what I read over there and well the CVT's sure do seem to be working pretty well though not the most ideal setup.But, if it wasnt for where they came from (patentless, generic,MASS produced, taiwanese scooters) they wouldnt be so cheap and interchangable..thats hard to beat!
The fact that our 05 Polaris Pred. 50, 00 Sundiro Ridge runner 50, and our 08 DRX50 interchange parts sure makes things quite a bit easier on my wallet and quite fun to be honest.
Anyways the Cobra forum seems to be full of ALOT deeper wallets than mine...it IS all relative I do know.
I think Im off base again and rambling...sorry. Ill just say that the list of cost and breakage AFTER the initial EIGHT GRAND cost doesnt support your statement. Not to start a fight just giving my opinion.

drr5
03-09-2008, 09:15 AM
point well made

pnbsdad
03-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Doesn't matter what you race it's not cheap. But as long as our kids have fun it's worth it right:)

quadscrib
03-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by pnbsdad
Doesn't matter what you race it's not cheap. But as long as our kids have fun it's worth it right:)
Yes you are right there..Im definatly not ripping on the Cobras just responding to the "save money in the long run buying a Cobra" comment.
Yes as long as its fun for them is all that matters.

etondaddy
03-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Hey Dave I got Kevin fixed up today..... got my buddy Paul to tig in the new bungs and we shot them with some super mirror black

Mike Kozura

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/100_0961.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/100_0960.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/100_0959.jpg