PDA

View Full Version : Where should I run beadlocks?

JimmyHoffa
03-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Hey, I just need a little bit of help from people who have managed to de-seat tires from non-beadlock rims. I frequently see people running beadlock tires in the back, but not in front. I can see some logic in this, but I was wondering (for those who don't run a full set) where you run them, and what your reasoning is there. I think I know, but I'm not going to say anything so I can just see what other people think.

The reason for all of this is I'm going to buy some rims before summer, probably when I tear my bike down over spring break, and was wondering what I should start keeping an eye out for. I was going to get a stack of ITP T-9 bajas, but now I donno.

Scro
03-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Are you talking about what type of riding? It is more common to see people running non-beadlock fronts on the MX track since less weight is more power. At XC races where weight is not much of a factor, almost everyone runs front beadlocks. But there are some that don't and have had good luck.

JimmyHoffa
03-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I ride all sorts of stuff, I just was curious if there was a "poor man's setup" (i.e. : just backs, or just fronts) and then the full beadlock setup. I could see where XC would merit the use of full beadlocks, but why do MX riders use them in the rear? Are rear tires more likely to get de-seated? That's the type of information I'm looking for.

Scro
03-04-2008, 02:24 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=1369914

You can see in this pic how much a tire can "roll" during a powerslide. With beadlocks the roll is still there, but the tire has no chance of coming off the bead. Now take into consideration this quad only has 44 horsepower, and the pro MX guys are running 70+. If they were to run a non-beadlock rear, I'm willing to bet they would blow the tire off the bead the first couple laps.

It would be less likely that it happens to an amatuer since they won't be going nearly as fast, but it still happens...it happened to me at an arenacross before.

03-04-2008, 03:05 PM
The rear is where you would need it. Its not 4 wheel drive so your fronts tires arent going to slip on the wheel or roll like that when accelerating on a turn or something. Beadlocks are a HP robber but they are needed when you have power like that to have a tire pop off the bead. I'm in sand so I dont have to worry about it but in harder packed more grippy stuff I could see my tire rolling past me lol