PDA

View Full Version : diesels and cooking oil

mittman
03-04-2008, 11:12 AM
i've been thinking about cooking oil in diesels what do you need to do to make it run on it i herd you have to switch the rubber lines to plastic or something and would your power stay the same and does anyone on here run their diesels on it and how do you like it.

Premis
03-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Quick google search

http://www.noendpress.com/caleb/biodiesel/index.php

It's for a mercedes Diesel but it will give you an idea, all the principles are the same.

mittman
03-04-2008, 03:06 PM
ok so does any one on here use cooking oil in there diesel

CDCHONDAS
03-04-2008, 03:08 PM
it stinks and I know some people are keeping it refridgerated until they use it.

quad2xtreme
03-04-2008, 04:19 PM
I know it wasn't a big deal back in the early 80s. Today with the strict emissions on diesels, I wouldn't go through the effort...meaning I don't think you can just dump any type of fuel through them any more. Your oil filter is definitely going to need changed more often. That alone will offset your savings. The injectors are very fine now so I am not sure they won't get clogged or gummed up. my two cents.

js1178
03-04-2008, 04:44 PM
go to a diesel web site and they will have the info you are looking for......

300EXrider356
03-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Hey mittman, I know you drive a dodge, but heres a discussion from a ford forum that will tell you all about it, and give you some links.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/bio-diesel-alternative-fuels-supplements/28877-anyone-running-100-veggie-oil.html

bens250ex
03-04-2008, 06:00 PM
its common name is biodiesel. i am about to start making it for my truck. 7.3l powerstroke. it is hard on the rubber and cleans the fuel system out so you'll have to change the filter a couple times when you first start using it. might have problems with fuel leaks here and there but it will lubricate the engine alot better than the low sulfer fuel that we are currently using. if you want some good plans hit me up and ill send em to you.

chevy
03-04-2008, 06:34 PM
my landlord runs his dodge pickup on vegitable oil. he told me performance is pretty much the same. he said he did notice a slight loss of power when hauling a trailor load on the highway compared to deisel.

CDCHONDAS
03-04-2008, 07:27 PM
oh I almost forgot, we know of a guy that got fined 2k$ for running it since as its home made, no body paid tax on it, so check the federal and local laws on fuel taxation or risk it.