PDA

View Full Version : powdercoating question

Dr89
03-04-2008, 09:38 AM
I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate of what it would cost me to get all four wheels, bumper, grab bar, and nerf bars all powdercoated black? I know the prices are gonna vary from shop to shop but im just looking for an "in the ball park" price...if it helps a friend of mine got his entire frame and subframe done at the local shop for $200.

Also any opinions on whether or not it would look good/better to do this? I just dont think aluminum really stands out with white plastic so I thought black would look pretty sweet.

Dr89
03-04-2008, 09:50 AM
and the bumper...

Dr89
03-05-2008, 09:31 PM
oh and the a-arms, dunno what to do with them. anyone...???

Honda#4
03-06-2008, 07:12 AM
Go to the BK Performance section near the bottom, Pappy is the guy to talk to about that stuff.

Dr89
03-06-2008, 06:47 PM
yea i posted it there and am not getting anything. i think i have the prices figured out other than the bumper and grab bar...just trying to decide what would look good....:confused:

bwamos
03-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Dr89
yea i posted it there and am not getting anything. i think i have the prices figured out other than the bumper and grab bar...just trying to decide what would look good....:confused:

Pappy's out for about a week doing GNCC stuff. He'll be back before long.

He has a sticky for pricing in the top of his forum seciton.

Dr89
03-06-2008, 07:44 PM
yea he doesn't have a bumper or grab bar listed on there though. i'll check again i might have missed those

so any opinions on how it'd look with stealth black bumper, grab bar, nerfs, and wheels? maybe leave like the outer rolled edge of the wheel aluminum...if thats even possible. might look good..hm...

Dr89
03-07-2008, 09:05 PM
maybe somethin like this???

(haha i also photoshopped out the tabs that the stock exhaust shield bolted too, im gonna try to get rid of them for real tomorrow :rolleyes: )

Honda#4
03-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Yea that would look good

j450rking
03-15-2008, 09:07 PM
yeah that looks good. and yes you can tape off stuff for powder coating. i know he has done some stuff like that before. i remember seeing a pro armor bumper he did. i bet for a bit extra he can do the rim lips. you should do some red on there too i like red vein (i do my own pc) it's silver vein with candy red on top. i don't know anything about yfz's so i'm not sure if the ball joints are built in but if they arent then i would do the bottoms in stealth black and the tops in rev vein or candy red. heres a pic of red vein. it's not a great pic but it gives you an idea. it looks better in person.

Dr89
03-15-2008, 09:16 PM
yea i wanted to get some red in there its just kinda hard to match that stock yfz red...but the ball joints aren't removeable anyways. i can get free auto paint and i have a couple guns and all that set up so im just going to do my bottom a arms myself in black and i'll try to find a candy red for the top cause that pic looks pretty good.

it'd be cool to be able to powder the arms but hey, paint looks better anyways :p

j450rking
03-15-2008, 09:35 PM
thats a bit darker then candy red powder coat. i like the look of powder better. and in most cases powder is stronger. here is a pic of the oil tank i just sold that i had pappy do later winter

pimpt250r
03-15-2008, 11:16 PM
powder always looks better than paint ,,you just cant use it on everything

j450rking
03-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by pimpt250r

you said it! paint can look good but you have to be relly good to match what a 5 year old can do with a powder gun lol

Dr89
03-16-2008, 11:16 AM
oh i have no argument that powder will hold up better and in that sense will also look better, longer...and i haven't done it myself but i've been looking into it quite a bit and it seems it's MUCH easier to get a consistent coat down, but a well painted finish will always look better than a powder coated finish in my opinion. i love powder coat! it just doesn't look as good as paint.

j450rking
03-16-2008, 03:04 PM
the only thing i like better about paint is it dosen't have as much orange peal

Pappy
03-19-2008, 06:02 AM
a good painter can equal and surpass powder coat in the looks department. powders great attributes have more to due with the enviroment, its durability, its economincal value (it is cheaper then paint) and so on. You wont match it with a rattle can no matter how hard you try to convince yourself.

yes, pc has a touch of orange peel depending on the color, the part being coated surface structure, ramp up time, part and powder thickness and even the type of powder being used and how the powder is applied.

Pappy
03-19-2008, 06:04 AM

Pappy
03-19-2008, 06:08 AM
more times then not, orange peel can be controlled just like with paint, it all omes down to expierence

Pappy
03-19-2008, 06:14 AM

Dr89
03-19-2008, 08:10 AM
^^^ good post. those parts are gorgeous no doubt!! and as far as quad parts go i'd choose powder over paint any day, but my point is i get left over auto paint, hardener, and primer all for free and since the a-arms cant be pc'd....yea it just makes sense. haha

i've been looking to get my own powder coating equipment just for doing little things like when i buy old beat down quads and restore them...but i built my shop up in our barn and there isn't a big enough power supply for a regular oven...if i were to build an oven would i be able to heat it well enough with the 20-30 amps (110 volt outlets) that are up there? anybody know :confused:

f4istunna
03-23-2008, 05:01 PM
your yfz will look good w/ white plastics and all black boltons. I do all my bikes w/ black parts and some color im not a fan of polished or chrome.

Dr89
03-24-2008, 01:52 PM
now im thinking somethin like this, excuse the quick and sloppy photoshop job haha.

i would do blue hubs to but you can't see that in this pic

j450rking
03-24-2008, 07:19 PM
thats looks good but i think one color is most of the time better looking but if you could do a better photo shop job with the right color on the plastics it might look better.

Dr89
03-24-2008, 08:43 PM
yea i know i would also like it to be better just to get a better idea of what it would really look like but i dont think there is really any way to do it better with any of the pics i have...the all white plastics in the sunlight is just like pure glare and they just dont color right. if someone can do better please, give it a shot! haha im definitely no expert with photoshop

j450rking
03-24-2008, 09:26 PM
have you tryed to photo shop on top of the photo shped one? it's darker and it might do it. i have cs2 but don't know alot about it so i couldn't say for sure but i think it would work

kenheehn3
04-13-2008, 08:34 PM
if you really want something special, try to powdercoat the items yourself. My friends and I bought a powder coating gun and an oven, and have done numerous things which look great. Any questions pm me.
~Kenny