PDA

View Full Version : k and n air filter?????

bruteman
03-03-2008, 11:18 PM
I have a 400ex with a k and n air filter on it, it has been blown up once and now has a big bore in it and a hot cam. my question is could the filter have caused it to blow up or not. I just don't want this to happen to this engine. any suggestions would be appreciated. should i keep this filter or replace it with another brand?

chayes627
03-04-2008, 05:00 AM
k and n is a great filter i would keep it but you have to make sure that you clean and oil it correctly. k and n filters are worthless if it isnt oil correctly

H_W
03-04-2008, 05:06 AM
I have had a K & N filter on my 400 ever since the first week I had it, I bought it new back in 2001. You can see the motorwork in my sig and I have never had a problem.

tdmopar59
03-04-2008, 07:37 AM
The question wasnt should i keep it or not... the question was is it worth installing and rejetting it without an airbox lid now or should i wait until i get my exhaust and do it all in one shot....?

Mercedes
03-04-2008, 09:45 AM
If your not riding, then just wait and do it all at once. If you are riding then rejet it not, and rejet it later with the pipe on.

H_W
03-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by bruteman
I have a 400ex with a k and n air filter on it, it has been blown up once and now has a big bore in it and a hot cam. my question is could the filter have caused it to blow up or not. I just don't want this to happen to this engine. any suggestions would be appreciated. should i keep this filter or replace it with another brand?

The last sentence of your post says otherwise.

JOEX
03-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by H_W
The last sentence of your post says otherwise.
I think tdmopar59 replied to the wrong thread...:p

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=340620

400ex28
03-04-2008, 11:46 AM
I ran a K&N for a little while then sold it for a UNI. I will never run a K&N on my quad again.

STUNTIN400EX
03-04-2008, 03:01 PM
i would lean toward the uni as well.

wcbomb
03-04-2008, 05:23 PM
you will hear good and bad on most every product out there. most people say that since it's on '' my quad'' its got to be better then that other brand. follow the filters cleaning and oiling directions and you will have good luck with most any brand out there. I prefer a foam filter in dusty conditions and the K&N with the outerwares cause it's water repellant not waterproof in wet and muddy conditions. just my .02 cents.

03-04-2008, 05:51 PM
the outerwears keeps out so much dust its crazy!

"Foam vs Fabric Filters

-Fabric type filters (K&N) make more power than foam filters of equal size. The key to fabric filters is surface area--thewavy design provides more surface area than the foam type filters, allowing for more potential HP gains. With out dyno testing, we commonly find 1HP gain using fabric filter vs. a foam filter (sometimes more sometimes less). The higher the need for airflow the larger the gains you'll see when you do provide more airflow.

-We do find foam filters to be superior in keeping the ultra-fine dust out of the engine. If you run in really dusty conditions, opt for foam to make the engine last longer and retain more power later in life. Fabric filters are still superior for sand dune use over foam. We find that the foam filters start passing sand by the end of 1 day's riding." - Quad magazine "HP Special Report"

Great magazine, I just typed that out from the issue sitting next to me. I ride sandy and dusty areas so I use a K&N and outerwears. It deffinately does a better job than my foam filter at keeping out dust and sand. The outerwears is probally the greatest thing ever.

UNBROKEN
03-05-2008, 05:52 PM
if u ride allot in dusty conditions i say UNI thats wut i run and have never had problems on any of my bikes, its not worhh .2 horsepower that k&N delivers for worse filtering ability

UNBROKEN
03-05-2008, 05:52 PM
if u ride allot in dusty conditions i say UNI thats wut i run and have never had problems on any of my bikes, its not worhh .2 horsepower that k&N delivers for worse filtering ability

Brauap
03-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I have a K&N and that w/o a prefilter; I ran through dun a tun, w/ water an all, and my carb is as clean as a whistle. People always say there carb gets all that stuff in the bowl and and in boot, well, mine stays %99.99 clean! There was 1 or 2 specs of dust but I think that was from taking it off my dirt quad. and it was at the very end. Well, imagine with a prefilter, like an outerwares.

j450rking
03-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
I ran a K&N for a little while then sold it for a UNI. I will never run a K&N on my quad again.

same here