PDA

View Full Version : valve adjustment runs like ****

xcracer416
03-03-2008, 08:29 PM
well i checked my valves the other night and seen they needed shimmed correctly. they was tight on the intake and perfect on the exhaust. the left side intake had a 1.60mm shim and was .003 tight and the right side intake had a 1.42mm shim and was .003 tight. so on the left side i put a 1.55mm shim and a 1.35mm shim on the right side. I then installed the camshaft (stock) and checked my clearances the left side perfect .006 and the right side was loose at .009. well since i was stupid enough not to buy a shim kit and got a few individual shims i decided to see if it ran any better. i fired it up first kick, idled smooth as silk with a slight tick. i gave it throttle and it fell on its face. do you think that one valve being out that much would make the difference in how it runs? the timing marks line up perfect with the lobes facing back and slightly up. quad ran like a dream until i checked the clearances for good maintence. i am planning on going and buyin 1.375mm and a 1.40 shims tomorrow. will this help the running? georgia is saturday and im leaving friday so this puppy needs to run.

tank69
03-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Put the right shims in it, if the clearances are all within spec and your timing is right, it should be fine. NEVER, EVER half-cock a valve adjustment!!

bloodmoney23
03-03-2008, 09:44 PM
with it that far outta spec your lucky if you didnt completely jack that valve up. Being that far outta spec is really not good whatsoever. and with it being that loose you might have messed up the valve seat. alot can go wrong so take your time, buy the shim kit and do it right.

sorry if i come off sounding like a prick i didnt mean too

tank69
03-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
sorry if i come off sounding like a prick i didnt mean too

sometimes it's the only way to get thru to these people. I mean come on, you're only talking a high-performance motor, a few thousands off couldn't hurt. :rolleyes:

xcracer416
03-03-2008, 10:11 PM
well ill take yalls advice. i wasnt aware that this high performance engine was so ticky. my 440 would have ran with out a problem that far out, but this engine is new to me. its like they say the best lessons learned is the ones you have to pay for. i was taking my time on the adjustment, i just didnt realize the engine was as critical on specs as it is

NJ450rider
03-04-2008, 09:23 AM
valve specs for a 450r engine have to be dead on always. Honda only gives you plus or minus 1 thousandth for error. Its that way for a reason. More than that is never good. also always run them on the tighter side rather than looser.

Adjusting the valves is never a one shot deal. Always check and recheck over and over till your certain its right. your top end will thank you for it.