View Full Version : taking lights off

Crazy lil punk
03-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Do I need that resitor kit or whatever?
thanks guys!
-Joe

xtylerx
03-04-2008, 05:17 PM
I took my lights off and never bought a resistor kit on my 04 and never had a problem.

Crazy lil punk
03-16-2008, 03:02 PM
you just un-plugged them? And what about the rear?

ECAYFZ450
03-16-2008, 03:27 PM
do the same with the rear too..i pulled the wires all around..front and back and i didnt need the resistor kit

Jared Cole
03-18-2008, 06:36 PM
I took mine off and haven't had any problems. I had to replace my stock battery but that was probably due to it sitting too long in the winter without charging it. Just make sure you put some electrical tape over the plugs to keep dirt and water out of them when not in use.

jim_beam_racer
03-18-2008, 07:58 PM
i took mine off your lights are what charge your battery so either when u ride ride for a long time or when your done just plug it in

jshtex
03-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by jim_beam_racer
i took mine off your lights are what charge your battery so either when u ride ride for a long time or when your done just plug it in

Thats not even possible. Sorry.

The lights on the YFZ are AC powered. The AC comes off the stator and thru a voltage regulator and to the lights. Thats why they will get brighter (to a point) and dimmer when the motor is reved up and down.

The second AC line from the stator goes thru the same regulator (which is also a rectifier) and is converted to DC to run the ignition and charge the battery.

When the lights are on (on the 04/05) YFZ the regulator / rectifier sees that and increases the charge to the battery. The resistor kit fools the bike into thinking the lights are always on.

There are actually two issues with them that might sugest you need a resistor kit. Yes it can cause battery issues but it also can cause the bike to run like it is cutting out on the top end. I went round and round with our dealer about this on our 04. And way back it was even fairly common. If your bike runs fine with the lights turned off then it will probably run fine without the resistor kit.

There has to be a reason that the high paid engineers at yamaha built the resistor kit into the 06 and up electrical systems.

But like they said you might be fine without the lights.

Crazy lil punk
03-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by jshtex
Thats not even possible. Sorry.

The lights on the YFZ are AC powered. The AC comes off the stator and thru a voltage regulator and to the lights. Thats why they will get brighter (to a point) and dimmer when the motor is reved up and down.

The second AC line from the stator goes thru the same regulator (which is also a rectifier) and is converted to DC to run the ignition and charge the battery.

When the lights are on (on the 04/05) YFZ the regulator / rectifier sees that and increases the charge to the battery. The resistor kit fools the bike into thinking the lights are always on.

There are actually two issues with them that might sugest you need a resistor kit. Yes it can cause battery issues but it also can cause the bike to run like it is cutting out on the top end. I went round and round with our dealer about this on our 04. And way back it was even fairly common. If your bike runs fine with the lights turned off then it will probably run fine without the resistor kit.

There has to be a reason that the high paid engineers at yamaha built the resistor kit into the 06 and up electrical systems.

But like they said you might be fine without the lights.

Well put, but I dont want a "might" I want a DEFINATE, where do I buy this resistor?

jshtex
03-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Crazy lil punk
Well put, but I dont want a "might" I want a DEFINATE, where do I buy this resistor?

Any Yamaha Dealer should be able to order one for you.

Here is the part number 5TG-REGST-KT-00

Besides the "resistor" it also comes with a new thermostat to change the temp the fan comes on. But it doesn't come with any instructions so let me know if you get one and need help. At least I can point you to stuff on the web that might help.

If you get one take care to make sure you secure the wires where they come out of the resistor. I have seen them break off from bouncing around.

Not sure currently but they used to run $45.

Just FYI, We don't run it on either of our 04's. We just run with the lights on, on the racer and the stocker doesn't seem to have any of the issues our first one did.

mxpimp2000
04-09-2008, 04:03 PM
i have an 06 yfz and took my lights off i also wanted to take the big starter switch junk off the bars and mount a dirt bike kill button to start it do i need to leave the stock one on it to charge my battery? cuz i heard u need to leave the headlight switch on for it to charge or can i get rid of all that mess thanks

#17YFZRACER
04-09-2008, 04:26 PM
your 06 shouldnt have any charging problems. it was more the 04 and 05 models that do. ive had the headlights off of my 07 since i bought it and absolutely no problems:ermm:

mxpimp2000
04-09-2008, 04:37 PM
but ? is can i take my switch and junk off the bars or do i have to leave it turned on? i want to just have a start buttom only

#17YFZRACER
04-09-2008, 05:58 PM
oh, ive never done that but i would think it wouldnt matter. but dont quote me on that.:confused: because you have the switch off and it doesn't drain so that shouldn't change even with a different switch without the button.

mxpimp2000
04-09-2008, 06:53 PM
well right now i still have the stock switch on it and i leave it on just in case it mattered but i was gonna do away with the thing completely and just have a start button only it cleans it up better more room for handgurads lol

#17YFZRACER
04-09-2008, 06:57 PM
true story

jshtex
04-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
well right now i still have the stock switch on it and i leave it on just in case it mattered but i was gonna do away with the thing completely and just have a start button only it cleans it up better more room for handgurads lol

Yes, you can pull all the stuff off the bars. We run that way (with the dirtbike kill switch as the starter). It should not affect charging. Just make sure you get a kill switch with two wires and not one that grounds to the bar.

I hard wired the lights in the high position, in your case you could do that and then just disconnect or remove them when you don't need them.

We use the key switch to kill the quad instead of the kill button on the bars.

At the same time i disabled the clutch switch in the clutch lever.

Good luck with it.

mxpimp2000
04-09-2008, 07:49 PM
how do u disable the clutch switch thats connected to the lever and perch?

jshtex
04-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
how do u disable the clutch switch thats connected to the lever and perch?

It is actually the easiest part of the whole process. On the 04, and i don't think it is different on the 06, you just follow the wires down under the hood and disconnect them. There are two wires and one is a male and the other a female. Just pull them apart and connect the two ends together under the hood.

But... it will try to start in gear. So be carefull about hitting the button with the bike in gear and the clutch out.

mxpimp2000
04-09-2008, 08:37 PM
sounds simple enough man thanks

WhiteYFZ
04-10-2008, 09:27 AM
joe, 06's don't have problems with the lights coming off. I have a 04 (the year thats supposed to have problems) and i never did have one problem after i took them off. now i have a gutted harness tho, the wires for the lights arent even there any more so everything is a lot more simple

espo

Honda_Matt
04-10-2008, 09:42 AM
I need a tailight, interested in selling me yours? lol.

mxpimp2000
04-10-2008, 10:11 AM
i have an 06 tail light LED and its new ill take 40 if this guy dosent come through with it im suppose to have it sold just waitin on the money

Crazy lil punk
04-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Honda_Matt
I need a tailight, interested in selling me yours? lol.

Hey,

sorry, i forgot about this thread, if I take my lights off I will be keeping them for the rare occation that I take the quad up to the moutains, it gets pretty dark out there, haha, Long story short, sorry I cant help you out man

Crazy lil punk
04-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by WhiteYFZ
joe, 06's don't have problems with the lights coming off. I have a 04 (the year thats supposed to have problems) and i never did have one problem after i took them off. now i have a gutted harness tho, the wires for the lights arent even there any more so everything is a lot more simple

espo

I have an 04 also