PDA

View Full Version : Whats interchangeable with YFZ450

burning rubber
03-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Looking to upgrade from a YFZ450 to a DS450, so I'm trying to find out if any of the aftermarket bits will fit ?

Can anyone tell me what the bolt patterns on the DS450 are?

Will the precision dampner work? A previous thread asks about an adapter?

Can I use my elka's i.e. what are the DS shock lengths and are the mounting holes the same?

Spaceace
03-04-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't know if I would call moving from a YFZ450 to a DS450 an "upgrade". I own both and each has their good and bad points. I like the thought that the DS has all the latest technology with the no weld aluminum frame, and EFI, and Aluminum a-arms, etc... But when you actually ride it side by side with the YFZ you realize it is just a matter of preference. The ergonomics and the way the powerband is distributed are the two biggest diferences in my opinion, and I have several friends that I let take test drives on both of my machines who like the YFZ better... Personally I think that for someone who is used to a YFZ it may take a while to appretiate the feel of the DS. Although when I sit them next to each other the height isn't that different, you feel like you are sitting higher on the DS. I am a bigger guy so I kinda like that the DS feels like a bigger bike, but it seems my smaller friends tend to like the YFZ more...

I know that didn't answer your question.... I will run out to the garage and see if the bolt pattern is the same.

ds450
03-04-2008, 01:10 PM
I love my ds450 and I upgraded from and honda and I have ridden yamahas. I think it rides so much better and handles great. But it just needs the bottom end fixed but I think when I get my exhaust it will fix that problem.

Spaceace
03-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by ds450
I love my ds450 and I upgraded from and honda and I have ridden yamahas. I think it rides so much better and handles great. But it just needs the bottom end fixed but I think when I get my exhaust it will fix that problem.

I guess I am just saying that all the 450's are so close that it is hard to say that moving from one 450 to another is an upgrade. I like my DS450 so far too. My only complaints are the lack of low end and the coolant leak... I will have to wait until the end of the summer after it has taken some punishment to see if it is really as I think it is...

jeepeater347
03-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I belive the DS uses the honda bolt pattern so their wont be anything you can use from the YFZ

ds450
03-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Yes the Ds450 uses the bolt pattern that Honda uses, and some suzukis and some kawis use it also.

WatersRacing
03-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Spaceace
I don't know if I would call moving from a YFZ450 to a DS450 an "upgrade". I own both and each has their good and bad points. I like the thought that the DS has all the latest technology with the no weld aluminum frame, and EFI, and Aluminum a-arms, etc... But when you actually ride it side by side with the YFZ you realize it is just a matter of preference. The ergonomics and the way the powerband is distributed are the two biggest diferences in my opinion, and I have several friends that I let take test drives on both of my machines who like the YFZ better... Personally I think that for someone who is used to a YFZ it may take a while to appretiate the feel of the DS. Although when I sit them next to each other the height isn't that different, you feel like you are sitting higher on the DS. I am a bigger guy so I kinda like that the DS feels like a bigger bike, but it seems my smaller friends tend to like the YFZ more...

HMM... I raced my YFZs in the WORCS series for the last 4 years. I adapted to the DS pretty quickly and was almost more comfortable on it than I was the YFZ. I also thought that the DS felt small compared to the YFZ. It seems weird because the YFZ usually feels really small to lots of people, but I thought the DS felt even smaller. Small, but I still didn't feel cramped on it. I'm only 160 lbs and 5'8"

The obvious things are reusable on the DS. Like handelbars and handguards. Some stabilizers will still work from the YFZ. Other than that sort of universal thing I dont think anything will fit from the YFZ. Definetly not shocks.

Toadz400
03-05-2008, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by WatersRacing
HMM... I raced my YFZs in the WORCS series for the last 4 years. I adapted to the YFZ pretty quickly and was almost more comfortable on it than I was the YFZ. I also thought that the DS felt small compare to the YFZ. It seems weird because the YFZ usually feels really small to lots of people, but I thought the DS felt even smaller. I'm only 160 lbs and 5'8"

The obvious things are reusable on the DS. Like handelbars and handguards. Some stabilizers will still work from the YFZ. Other than that sort of universal thing I dont think anything will fit from the YFZ. Definetly not shocks.

I too feel that the DS feels cramped/small compared to the YFZ. I have not ridden a DS but after sitting on one at the dealership the position of your legs made me feel like I was on a mini-quad compared to my YFZ.

burning rubber
03-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks for that guys.

After racing Yamahas and all the problems we have had, it looks like its an upgrade!!!

The reason for the question is we have been offered a sponsorship deal on the DS450 to race MX but its 2 stock bikes. Thus it would be good to use what we can from the YFZ

Looks like I'll have to spend some $$$ as I have to get the bike up to MX race spec.
Epic a-arms, fox shox, new race engine package, new pipe, rear axle, the list goes on

Anyone got some good deals LOL

markeg192
03-06-2008, 09:25 AM
I just went through this myself found nothing is "bolt on" from the YFZ. Good news is the DS doesn't need the upgrades as much as the Yamaha. The DS frontend is so smooth a dampener isn't a necessity as it is on the other bikes. After tuning my shocks I don't see spending big money on suspension(unless I get alot faster), and if you add a pipe and pull the airbox lid low end power is not a problem.

ds450
03-06-2008, 11:56 AM
I love how my ds450 rides but I cant seem to get the suspension perfect. The front seems kinda stiff sometimes and the back seems kinda soft to me.

If I try to loosen the front spring it gets play in the spring when you pick the front up and when you tighten the back spring to get the race sag right about 3.75", when you get off the shock is fully extended and no sag. And I have the front compression almost all the way out and the rear almost all the way in.

Anyone else have this problem? It rides great but I like it setup like I cant get it. lol

#17YFZRACER
03-18-2008, 08:17 PM
personally id stick with the YFZ but thats me. the more people on slower bikes only makes me look faster:D

ScottB125
03-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by #17YFZRACER
personally id stick with the YFZ but thats me. the more people on slower bikes only makes me look faster:D

My new DS just hung with a YFZ that had a pipe/commander. Did I mention I haven't been on an ATV in 10 years and my DS had 3 hours on the motor..lol

#17YFZRACER
03-19-2008, 03:47 PM
the dude on the yfz must suck something awful then...wanker:ermm:

ds450
03-20-2008, 06:20 AM
The Can Am ds450 will blow any other stock bike away and ones with exhaust.

markeg192
03-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Hey Guys ease up on the YFZ guy. he's just come to our forum to talk with some classier riders. Poor fella is still riding on 2004 technology!!!

#17YFZRACER
03-21-2008, 03:15 PM
no its actually 2007 technology, i just dont need 2008 technology to win. its really not that much better. it is a little but mostly marketing hype to get sales away from yamaha and honda. the ds may weigh less (not much at all) but that doesnt matter. look at suzuki, they weigh the most and win alot.