View Full Version : diesel or gas??

Shift_450R
03-03-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm going to be looking at buying a truck pretty soon here once i sell my car and i was just wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of a diesel truck over a gas? Thanks

clutch22
03-03-2008, 06:10 PM
I love diesel trucks, and wish I had one, but I dont really see the advantage of spending that much on one, and paying more for fuel, unless you have stuff to haul.
I've been kind of lookin around too, and when it comes to it, i'll probly go with a gasoline 3/4 ton Chevy, even though their not exactly all that fuel efficient.

Waddell
03-03-2008, 08:20 PM
I would go with a gas truck. Diesels are nice for pulling but diesel is about 50 cents more a gallon they cost more to service and if you have to work on them they can cost a small fortun. I know a gas truck doesent get as good of miealege pulling but I think they are cheaper to operate in the long run.

Dinner
03-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Depends what you are looking to do with the truck. Are you using it as your daily driver, or are you using it ever now and then for a towing vehicle?

Depending on which Diesel you get, you could see better fuel mileage than a gas truck. If you tow occasionally then you wont have to worry whether or not your engine can handle it. They are more efficient than gas engines (though the price of Diesel is higher than gas:grr: ) And you can make them extremely fun to drive on the street:devil:

Right now with #2 Fuel, I am running around 22-23MPG Highway, which isn't bad for a 6XXXlbs truck. Once summer time comes and #1 is back, I will probably be seeing around 24-25MPG Highway. Get a few mods on there and could probably see around 26 or higher:cool:

And sure they can be more expensive to service (unless you do it yourself). And also you can buy the parts you need if something breaks from online places for fairly cheap. Oh and you can get high HP out of a Diesel for fairly cheap:)

quads14589
03-04-2008, 04:17 AM
my dad hasa diesel he spend an extra 7 grand just to buy it over a gas engine and then about 1 month later diesel went up sky high and there is no point spening almost 4 dollars a gallon for diesel.

smr
03-04-2008, 04:39 AM
I have been debating this myself. The diehard diesel guys say were crazy for driving gas burners and the diehard gas guys say there crazy for spending 5 grand more on a truck.

one big advantage you can't argue is resale. Diesel trucks hold there value much better than gas burners.

You take care of you diesel motor and you should get over 500,000 miles easy...although if you have to replace a pump you will spend just about as much as a crate motor would have cost for a gaser.

If you take care of your gas motor expect 250,000 to 300,000 max. Now I know there are gas motors with more so there are execptions. My gas dodge has almost 200,000 and I pulled our toy hauler 850 miles one way to little sahara OK without any problems. I got about 8 miles per gallon..:( A diesel would have gotton about twice that.

I have been test driving for about a month now and let me tell you Diesels are much more fun to drive. I can't believe the power they get out of these motors.

You always hear the one about mpg. I have checked the mpg on a cummins and powerstroke compared to my 360 gaser. Empty they are about the same. Pulling they are both twice as good.

so is it worth it to spend they extra money to save on fuel millage while pulling the trailer, I havn't decided.

If you average out maint cost fuel millage and factor in resale, there really isn't a cash advantage to either. So why consider one after all that, well I really want something I can get into and head to a race pulling our trailer down the road at 75mph and not have to worry about blowing a motor. From what I've learned over the last month a diesel will do that pulling our 10,000 pound trailer.

good luck and I hope this helps.

quad2xtreme
03-04-2008, 05:53 AM
2003 Chevy 2500HD diesel = 15 mpg city, 17 highway, 12 pulling

I wish I got the mileage everyone else does.

My truck is well maintained, injectors are fine, fuel filter changed regularly, etc.

diesel has averaged about 25 cents more than premium since 2003. There were a few times it dropped a little lower than gas.

mittman
03-04-2008, 07:57 AM
i love diesel i bought mine cus i'm in landscaping and almost every day i'm pulling a trailer. i normaly get about 21-22mpg plus diesel engines will last longer than gasoline ones. Ever since i was about 5-6 i fell in love with the diesel smell and i still am nothing better in the morning then diesel:D you also have to power to burn every one at stop lights lol

FHKracingZ
03-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Lol i love how everybody hops on the diesel band wagon.. A newer diesel motor isnt anything without a turbo.. most of these trucks are running in the 30psi range STOCK i believe. If you know anything about boosted cars thats ALOT of boost.

They are getting there torque almost all from boost. Thats why you see the torque so much higher than the hp, boost. No matter where it is in the RPM range once your turbo spools and your boosting instead of vacumming your almost doubling your power..

But Diesels are still sweet, and they serve there purpose. The funny thing is , hillbilly inner city guys that drive diesels and wonder why its hard on them stoplight to stoplight, short trip after short trip, there not made for that. lol.

Premis
03-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Everyone on here is right. Asking whether to get a gas or diesel is like saying Chevy or Ford. People love one or the other. I own a 2005 Chevy Duramax (diesel) and I love it, I will never buy another gas, but I need a diesel. I have 130,000 on it in 3 years and about 60,000 of that was pulling a 44 ft 16,000 lbs trailer around the country making movies! :D I would of gone through 2 gassers by now.

If you can give us more information on your driving habits and what you are doing with the truck we can help you better. Here are my basic comparisons.

Gas Pros:
cheaper fuel (right now anyways)
cheaper maintenance (but requires more of it)
cheaper to buy

Diesel pros:
better mileage
requires less maintenance (can go 7,000-10,000 between service)
more towing power
easier to find extra power
better resale
lasts much longer (if treated right)

Check out this article.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/tech/163_0210_diesel_vs_gas/index.html

JBENSON
03-04-2008, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dinner
[
Right now with #2 Fuel, I am running around 22-23MPG Highway, which isn't bad for a 6XXXlbs truck. Once summer time comes and #1 is back, I will probably be seeing around 24-25MPG Highway. Get a few mods on there and could probably see around 26 or higher:cool:

I have never heard of anyone getting that good of fuel mileage with a diesel! :huh Maybe if you drive all downhill in nuetrel.

JBENSON
03-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
2003 Chevy 2500HD diesel = 15 mpg city, 17 highway, 12 pulling

I wish I got the mileage everyone else does.

My truck is well maintained, injectors are fine, fuel filter changed regularly, etc.

diesel has averaged about 25 cents more than premium since 2003. There were a few times it dropped a little lower than gas.

That fuel mileage sounds beliveable! :cool:

RideRed84
03-04-2008, 02:49 PM
I have an 06 F-150 with the 3-valve gas V8. I've been seeing around 18 mpg on the highway and have plenty of towing power. I don't tow every day or pull a large trailer. The biggest thing I haul is my 20ft boat so I have no need for diesel. Sure they can last up to 500,000 miles, but I just don't keep a truck that long. I usually buy a new one every 5 years or so , so I see no reason to pay that much more. Also I don't drive a truck to beat people off the stop light. That's what the camaro is for.

JBENSON
03-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Everybody brags about how thier diesels get great fuel mileage. My boss has a 2005 super duty crew cab, 6.0 auto, he never pulls anything, the best fuel mileage he got was 14.3 just with the truck by itself (not pulling). He got that mileage on a trip driving 65-70mph on the freeway. :rolleyes:

JBENSON
03-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by RideRed84
I have an 06 F-150 with the 3-valve gas V8. I've been seeing around 18 mpg on the highway and have plenty of towing power. I don't tow every day or pull a large trailer. The biggest thing I haul is my 20ft boat so I have no need for diesel. Sure they can last up to 500,000 miles, but I just don't keep a truck that long. I usually buy a new one every 5 years or so , so I see no reason to pay that much more. Also I don't drive a truck to beat people off the stop light. That's what the camaro is for.

This guy read my mind!!!:blah:

quad2xtreme
03-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by JBENSON
That fuel mileage sounds beliveable! :cool:

yea, and my trailer is an all aluminum snowmobile trailer with cap...total weight is 1,200 lbs. I put 3 sport quads in it and some tool boxes. I generally run about 65-70 mph.

The other thing to note is you really have to check your mileage manually...you can't go by the electronic reading in the truck which would be a dream.

HondaEXrider22
03-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Its all about hows it maintained. And the symbol:devil:

1999 Ford F250 Superduty 5.4 V8 w/ 66k

10-13MPG City :(

Giz400ex
03-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by RideRed84
I have an 06 F-150 with the 3-valve gas V8. I've been seeing around 18 mpg on the highway and have plenty of towing power. I don't tow every day or pull a large trailer. The biggest thing I haul is my 20ft boat so I have no need for diesel. Sure they can last up to 500,000 miles, but I just don't keep a truck that long. I usually buy a new one every 5 years or so , so I see no reason to pay that much more. Also I don't drive a truck to beat people off the stop light. That's what the camaro is for. I believe a diesel is not made for everyone. There are a few things that you mentioned that would not make sense for you to switch to a diesel. You don't tow alot and you don't keep a truck that long. You don't sell or trade a diesel auto thats 4-5yrs old with 60-70k miles on it. A diesel is something that you keep for awhile :D

JBENSON
03-04-2008, 03:25 PM
The other thing to note is you really have to check your mileage manually...you can't go by the electronic reading in the truck which would be a dream. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree! :cool: When you check your mileage manually that will be correct ave fuel mileage for that tank of fuel. ;)

mittman
03-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
yea, and my trailer is an all aluminum snowmobile trailer with cap...total weight is 1,200 lbs. I put 3 sport quads in it and some tool boxes. I generally run about 65-70 mph.

The other thing to note is you really have to check your mileage manually...you can't go by the electronic reading in the truck which would be a dream.

in your truck is it instant mpg or is it avarage mpg.

quad2xtreme
03-04-2008, 04:06 PM
I have an instant, an overall since the truck was new, a personal use one that can be reset, and a business use one that can also be reset. I usually use this one as a trip reading and use the personal one as a tank reading.

These are off compared to when measured manually. I do this by filling the tank as full as I can. Then, drive until the tank is empty. Refill the tank as full as I can. Divide the miles driven by the number of gallons I could put into the tank when I refilled it.

I had a friend who used to tell me he was getting 20-22 miles a gallon. Later, he admitted he did it to drive me nuts. He was only getting 17 in the city and 19 on the highway. Still better than me but I am pretty sure he babied his to death. I know I can get about 18.5 on the highway if I stay right at 60. But then my time is worth more than the gas savings.

/Jon

TWILES
03-04-2008, 04:30 PM
I have a 2005 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 long-bed 4-door with the cummins 5.9 engine.

The IF'S!
> you need a 3/4ton or 1 ton, diesel is better period
> you work out of your truck and it WILL be on the road or atleast running a lot, diesel is better

The downfalls to a diesel
>oil changes cost more and you have to replace the fuel filter more often. The cost of fuel is not an issue since the alternative would be a gas motor is a 3/4 or 1 ton and you WILL make up the difference in milage
>they are noisy
>getting to a fuel pump is harder since they are always on the ends at the gas stations and that seems to be the most popular ones for people who need 30 minutes to get gas

IF I had a short drive to work and just had to drive to work, I would have bought a FORD 1/2 ton. I'm a contractor and I always end up making a 30 minute drive last an hour and I'm always running after something. $20 at 19 miles a gallon goes further than $20 at 11 miles per gallon like a Hemi would be. I can pull as much as the auto-trans will let me and it hasn't strained yet with 10,000 behind it. I also know that the truck will last a lot longer than the 6 years it takes to pay for it. Before I had a 1999 Ford 3/4 with the 7.3 and once you own a diesel, its hard to drive anything else. Before I always had P's-O-S.

FHKracingZ
03-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Hahaa its funny people say "diesels can last 500,000 miles" .

PLEASE show me a diesel truck thats daily driven and purposly used with 500k , i bet thats a peach...

the interior on a diesel is no better on a diesel and im damn sure then inside of a truck alot with the body ( depends on where you live ) would be SHOT after 500k. Not to mention if your pulling you will go through a trans or 2...

tlskinn
03-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Bought a 5.9 2007 Cummins in Sept (short box). Traded a 2002 Chevy 1/2 ton extd cab gasser s/b with 150K. The chevy was comfortable and mileage was about 16...but I traded b/c the mountains were hell on it everytime I pulled in excess of 5000lbs. I put about 30K on per year. The Cummins has 14K on it and I am getting about 17 now...but early on it was about 14. I am in the "breakin" period. I was told this should travel upwards to 20-21mpg (stock) with 40K miles. Who knows for sure? You can't beat the power in a diesel.

Price wise....is best in the fall $33K/BigHorn Pkg..but I got the 5.9 vs. 6.7??? I suspect this $3.63 a gallon I'm paying will spawn some nice rebates on the diesels.

Diesels are addicting, but then again, so was my chevy 1/2 ton compared to my chevy luv.

treake
03-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ

PLEASE show me a diesel truck thats daily driven and purposly used with 500k , i bet thats a peach...

the interior on a diesel is no better on a diesel and im damn sure then inside of a truck alot with the body ( depends on where you live ) would be SHOT after 500k. Not to mention if your pulling you will go through a trans or 2...

Your argument makes no sense. No one said the interior is any better because that is not what's being discussed. Of course there is going to be wear and tear. That's normal. A big part of it is how you take care of the truck. I would venture to say that a majority of the big diesel trucks out there have 300k plus miles and probably are approaching 500k and they are still pulling. There are probably more regular size diesels approaching that mileage than you think. The bottom line is, if you don't do any heavy pulling and you trade your vehicle in every 3 to 5 years, a diesel is not the best choice. If diesel wasn't worth the money and isn't any better than a gas motor, then why is every tractor trailer and heavy piece of equipment running a diesel engine.

2001-400ex'er
03-05-2008, 09:32 AM
After installing a chip in an F-250 7.3, the computer reading for mileage gained about 4 to about 16. After countless times of actually figuring out the mileage it was more like 12. I know a few guys that have new Cummins (chipped and exhausts) that the computers are reading 28 mpg in the right situation. Whether or not that is accurate I'm not sure but I doubt it.

CaptainCanuck
03-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Go Propane. Old Grey never missed a beat.

TWILES
03-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by tlskinn
Bought a 5.9 2007 Cummins in Sept (short box). Traded a 2002 Chevy 1/2 ton extd cab gasser s/b with 150K. The chevy was comfortable and mileage was about 16...but I traded b/c the mountains were hell on it everytime I pulled in excess of 5000lbs. I put about 30K on per year. The Cummins has 14K on it and I am getting about 17 now...but early on it was about 14. I am in the "breakin" period. I was told this should travel upwards to 20-21mpg (stock) with 40K miles. Who knows for sure? You can't beat the power in a diesel.

Mine started getting a lot better at 40,000. In the summer it gets around 21 and the winter 18-19 is about it. I was getting 17ish up to 20,000 and it gradually got better after that. Mine has 4.10 rear gears.

jherbie28
03-05-2008, 05:40 PM
i have a 03 7.3 250 and love it. i traded in my 01 150 lariat(super nice truck) for the diesel for 1 reason only, TOWING i pull a 30' toy hauler with 3 quads. that was the only reason for getting the diesel but now i have much more:D super fun to drive, i have a intake and a 4" exhaust that just sounds as good as it performs.

good luck with your choice

Dinner
03-07-2008, 12:16 AM
I have never heard of anyone getting that good of fuel mileage with a diesel! :huh Maybe if you drive all downhill in nuetrel. [/B]

I will fill up this weekend, go for a drive, fill up again and calculate it and post back up on here.

I don't see how getting 22-23MPG is hard to believe on a Diesel. I can get about 300km out of my 1st 1/4 tank. I have a 33 gallon tank so divided by 4 that is 8.25 Gallons. Take my 300km and put that into miles and you get 187.5miles. That gets me around 22.72mpg highway give or take. That is running at around 75mph. Change my injectors, I could reach another 1-2mpg. So say that brings me to 23-24. And once summer Blend is back, it could possibly be higher. I'm not saying I def would see 24 highway, but it's possible.

Or if you want really good Mileage out of a Diesel engine, but in a car..get a TDI Jetta,lol

Dinner
03-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ

I don't see how that is funny. Have you ever worked on a Diesel engine before, or even looked at the Mileage on them? Either way, pick up truck Diesel or Heavy Truck Diesel, 500k is no biggy at all. Sure you will have small things happen here and there but the engine itself can get to 500k. Interior has nothing to do with an engine getting to 500k, so I don't see what that had to do with anything.

Also, if you are pulling within the specs of your truck, knowing when and when not to use Overdrive, and well knowing how to tow and how to take care of your truck, there is a chance of your tranny lasting quite a while. On pickup trucks im not saying they WILL reach 500k on a fully stock tranny, but it could happen.

And being as you said "Show me a Diesel engine that has 500k on it" I'll take some pics at work of trucks that have over 500k on them, stock engine, OEM internals, and stock/oem tranny. Yes they are heavy trucks, but hey, they are diesel engines. And if you want to talk about interiors, or exteriors. There body and interior are still oem as well. Worked on a Freightliner with a N14 in it that had 1 million and 300 thousand on it. Body was still in good shape and the next day he was taking it in to get the bottom rebuilt for the first time, engine was starting to get wore out.

Dinner
03-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by tlskinn

Yea you will probably be seeing around 20-21mpg Highway on a stock CR Cumminsonce you are done break in. They are pretty good for fuel mileage stock. Put a set of 275 Bosch Injectors and a certain type of Mox and you would probably see around 22-24

Dinner
03-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by TWILES
Mine started getting a lot better at 40,000. In the summer it gets around 21 and the winter 18-19 is about it. I was getting 17ish up to 20,000 and it gradually got better after that. Mine has 4.10 rear gears.

That is pretty good for 4.10's:cool:

Dinner
03-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by 2001-400ex'er
After installing a chip in an F-250 7.3, the computer reading for mileage gained about 4 to about 16. After countless times of actually figuring out the mileage it was more like 12. I know a few guys that have new Cummins (chipped and exhausts) that the computers are reading 28 mpg in the right situation. Whether or not that is accurate I'm not sure but I doubt it.

No, they won't be reading right. Granted a lot of people don't reset and use the MPG Calculator on their trucks properly, but however. Once you add any sort of modification, it throws that computer off and it will read higher than what you are actually getting.