PDA

View Full Version : Thought No-Toil and TwinAir screwed me... was it Honda?

JimmyHoffa
03-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Here's what I've got. I have a 2004 450r ...possibly one of the first ones out there. The guy I bought it from said he paid something like 500 dollars extra to get it shipped to his dealer and into his hands as soon as possible. (He was kind of a shady character judging by the cleanliness of his air filter, so who knows how much of that was truth.) Anyway, I have a stock filter now, and have been trying incessantly (and unsuccessfully) to get an aftermarket filter for it.

I tried no-toil, but their filter wasn't even close to fitting (in two ways: the seal lip and the grommet for the support pin) and I shipped it to them two weeks ago after countless run-arounds via e-mail. They are barely literate judging by the quality of the speech in the e-mails, and used many contractions I couldn't find anywhere in Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary. Naturally, I suspected THEM of foul play, not Honda. I've yet to even receive confirmation that they received my filter. I figure that it was probably flushed down the toilet, set on fire for no reason, or eaten by one of the employees. So much for that Andrew Jackson (not counting shipping).

Next, I decided to buck up and buy a Twin Air, and I was all excited to come home from college to a beautiful two-stage high performance foam filter. To my surprise, I can't get the filter on the backfire screen when it's dry, even with the help of two flat blades and a machinist rule. It would fit if it was about 5-6 millimeters larger in diameter. Same goes for the no-toil.

So... What the heck is going on here? Did Honda realize something early on and real quick change the size of the backfire cartridge? I've lost count of how many engines I've been into, and a stupid air filter runs me up against a wall. Go figure.

If someone wanted to be nice to me, they could measure their backfire screen, their intake boot lip, and their stock filter sealing lip diameter...

d3ktrix
03-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Honda never changed the stock back fire cage for the 04-05. Thats not your problem.

As far as I understand, the Twinair does not use the stock honda cage. You need to buy the Twinair "Power Flow Intake Stystem". Which comes with its own aluminum flange for mounting.
My guess is you just bought the replacement filter for the kit.
The kit it self is like $130.

About the notoil not fitting, they probably sent you the wrong filter.
I saw a thread on here where notoil sent someone a 400ex filter labeled as a 450r filter.

JimmyHoffa
03-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Yep. That was my thread, actually. Apparently, no-toil didn't send me the wrong filter according to the filter number printed on the sealing lip. Something is just screwy.

There were three Twin Air filters where I bought mine. There was the Powerflow kit or whatever, the replacement filter for that kit, and the one they make for the stock cage, which is what I bought. I've investigated all the obvious solutions to the problem, and have decided that I have no idea what the heck is going on and probably should have bought a YFZ. This is one of many interesting features that my 450r has offered me thus far.