PDA

View Full Version : How-to Install A 4 Stroke Piston

kamikaze-rider
03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
OK I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF INSALLING MY NEW HIGH COMP PISTON I DIDNT CHECK ANY INSTRUCTIONS I JUST TORE INTO IT IT LOOKS SIMPLE BUT I WANTED TO MAKE SURE I'M NOT MISSING ANYTHING BEFORE I START IT UP IS THERE ANYONE THAT CAN PUT SOME INSTRUCTIONS UP FROM BEGGINING TO END AND GET SOME TORQUE SPECS AND MOST IMPORTANT HOW CAN I CHECK IF MY TIMING CHAIN IS STILL SPOT ON I'M MOST WORRIED ABOUT THE TIMING CHAIN DEAL I KEPT PRESSURE ON IT BUT I'M NOT 100 PERCENT SINCE SEE IT DOWN IN MY CASES.

bwamos
03-07-2008, 09:19 AM
I'd probably read the instructions.. lol.

Gapping your rings and ring alignement on your piston are very important.

Fork out a few dollars and get a service manual. ;)

kamikaze-rider
03-12-2008, 01:06 PM
REAL MEN DONT NEED INSTRUCTIONS

TRXRacer1
03-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by kamikaze-rider
REAL MEN DONT NEED INSTRUCTIONS Really? Just curious, why are you asking us for instruction then?

Ruby Soho
03-12-2008, 02:58 PM
real men dont need instructions? then just wing it and tighten the **** out of everything:chinese:

ohsobad_chevy
03-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
real men dont need instructions? then just wing it and tighten the **** out of everything:chinese:

Yup, cause real men don't need torque wrenches!!!

:rolleyes:

Honda#4
03-12-2008, 05:52 PM
I pray that your motor holds up.

John451
03-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Really? Just curious, why are you asking us for instruction then?

Lol.

bwamos
03-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by kamikaze-rider
REAL MEN DONT NEED INSTRUCTIONS

Well then, "real men" need to make sure to make enough money to pay someone who does read instructions to fix their stuff... lol.

All in good fun. ;) :P

ohsobad_chevy
03-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Getting the literature, studying up and asking questions and then doing it yourself is awesomely self rewarding!!!! Not to mention, by not paying someone $100/hour, you will have enough money to buy you some needed tools, such as a torque wrench and other goodies. :D

kamikaze-rider
03-14-2008, 01:21 PM
ALRIGHT NO REPLIES ON THE Q THAT TAKES SOME BRAIN BUT ALOT OF BACK TALK I DIDNT READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND ITS ALL BACK TOGETHER AND ITS CORRECT I TURNED IT BY HAND AND IT TURNS OVER FINE ANY BUDDY WITH REAL ADVISE HOW I CAN CHECK IF MY VALVES ARE CLEARING JUST TO DOUBLE CHECK I'M LOOKING FOR USEFULL TIPS HERE FOLKS THIS ISNT A HARD PROCESS AT ALL BUT I ALWAYS HAVE A SAFE CHECK

bwamos
03-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Wasn't trying to be a jerk. Was trying to say: You need at least read the instructions with the piston. Every ATV owner should also own a shop manual in my humble opinion, as well.

I DIDNT READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND ITS ALL BACK TOGETHER AND ITS CORRECT I TURNED IT BY HAND AND IT TURNS OVER FINE

How do you know it's correct. Just because it turns over by hand doesn't mean it's correct.

How did you align the rings? What ring did you align with the exhaust, what ring did you align with the intake.

What dimension did you gap the rings at?

What's your piston to valve clearance at the exhaust stroke TDC?

What's your clearance from the top of the cylinder at TDC?

What is the measurement of the "wobble" on your wristpin?

What torque rating did you use to tighten your head down.

You were asking for help. I simply replied that you should read the instructions/specifications that come with the piston / service manual.

A new service manual is a lot cheaper than a new piston.

I can't tell you what your tollerances need to be. You need to look at the documentation.

On the valves, you align the mark on the flywheel w/ the piston at TDC. Lobes down. And use a guage set to set them according to the cams specifications. (gap depends on what cam you are using).

kamikaze-rider
03-14-2008, 03:43 PM
DONT WORRY I AINT TAKING ANY OF THIS TO HEARD BUT I'M STILL NOT READING ANY MANUALS THAT JUST HOW I AM LOL ID RATHER BUY A COUPLE PISTONS I LINED UP THE RINGS CORRECT FILED THEM TO THE CORRECT LENGTH FOUND A TORQ SPEC SHEET GOT ALL MY BOLTS CORRECT I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO CHECK MY VALVE CLEARANCE HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO THAT IT ALL LOOKS GOOD BUT I NEED TO DO THE FINAL CHECKLIST BEFORE I HIT THE STARTER BUTTON

wilkin250r
03-15-2008, 03:21 AM
I'm going to side with everybody else on this issue, I think you're being dumb about it. But if you're willing to take the insults, I'm willing to help you anyways.

First and foremost, you need to make sure you have the correct parts, the correct valves and the correct piston.

You can't check the valve clearance directly without pulling everything back apart. But if you know for a fact that you have the correct valves and correct piston, then your clearances will be correct as long as your timing is correct.

Your cam gear will only fit on your camshaft one way, and it has timing marks on it. When your piston is at Top Dead Center, with the cam lobes facing downwards, those timing marks should line up parallel with the head.

The valve lash should be 0.004 inches on the intake, and 0.005 inches on the exhaust.

Like I said, this is just a "everything should be fine as long as you put everything together properly with the correct parts" guideline. You can't actually measure those things directly without pulling everything apart.

bullet99
03-19-2008, 04:22 PM
the piston is also directional.